• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The Snorkel...always IN or OUT sort of On and OFF?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Do you dive with snorkel in or out?

• Snorkel in

Votes: 28 17.6%
  • snorkel out

Votes: 131 82.4%

• Total voters

Ricksafer

Ricksafer
Feb 2, 2010
Two separate opinions on this subject. Let the members give their input.
First opinion. Snorkel out as the divers submerges.
Argument:
The diver will stick his head directly out of the water and inhale without clearing the snorkel first. Saves time. According to this, diver will not have to clear or blow into a water filled snorkel.:naughty

Second opinion(Mine...:cool:) .Snorkel always kept in place before, during and after every dive.:)
Argument:
Snorkel remains fixed in place during immersion,ascending and surface recuperation by mouth and second point of fixation (strap or clip). If loose will dangle and swivel underwater.
Upon surfacing diver with snorkel can immediately and uninterruptedly assume horizontal recuperating position
ALL WHILE KEEPING HIS VISUAL CONTACT WITH THE BOTTOM.

Archimedes Principle working at its best.

Body surface spread evenly, effortless flotation versus constant kicking for the necessary vertical position of a diver without snorkel in mouth.

If snorkel cleared by the "aspersion" method (blowing out a few inches before surface breaking) it will be dry and ready for immediate inhalation of air. This debunks the opposing argument.

Uninterrupted permanent visual acquisition of object of interest (prey, gun, fleeing or wounded fish, etc.)

If a Moderator would kindly set a POLL or survey we will know what the majority of us do. For the time being until this happens (if it does....
rolleyes.gif
)

What do you do, are you a "IN" or a "OUT" kind of snorkeler...?
biggrin.gif
Me, I'm all in......

Reactions: artiz and foxfish
Snorkel should be out. My friend blacked out and he bit down hard on the snorkel. I had a very hard time getting it out. I could have given rescue breaths through the snorkel but I may have blown water into his lungs. I had to pry it out with my fingers and then he nearly swallowed the mouth piece.

Snorkel should be out. My friend blacked out and he bit down hard on the snorkel. I had a very hard time getting it out. I could have given rescue breaths through the snorkel but I may have blown water into his lungs. I had to pry it out with my fingers and then he nearly swallowed the mouth piece.

I figured that was the real reason for not having it in. Is it only a problem on a deep water black out where the jaw becomes ridged?

I am usually spearfishing by myself. If I take it out, it is on my way to the surface. If I have been under water for more than a few seconds I am more likely to take it out for my first breath and then put it back in and resume the hunting mode.

I figured that was the real reason for not having it in. Is it only a problem on a deep water black out where the jaw becomes ridged?

I am usually spearfishing by myself. If I take it out, it is on my way to the surface. If I have been under water for more than a few seconds I am more likely to take it out for my first breath and then put it back in and resume the hunting mode.

If you are spearfishing by yourself, I doubt leaving it in or out will make much difference. If you had a deep water BO and you are alone, well you do the math.

Reactions: Mr. X
I’m no expert but I was always taught that the snorkel should be out of the mouth once you start your dive, for the obvious reason that if you black out while still under and you don’t bite down hard enough to close the mouth piece then with the snorkel still in place it gives the water a direct path straight in to your lungs, and its bye bye baby!
With the snorkel out of the mouth and if you black out at least you give yourself a chance as the mouth will be closed and keeping the water out.

Thanks Podge. I figured it should be out for rescue purposes, as shown in Bluefaces post. The idea of keeping water out of the lungs in a black out makes sense as well.

Keeping the snorkel in or out for me as a solo spearfisherman is a matter of comfort or the hunting situation. If I have spotted my target on the way up, I will keep it in so I can keep an eye on the situation. If I have been a little deeper and under a little longer, I will remove the snorkel. I do this simply because I just want to breath, I do not want to deal with a snorkel that may not clear properly the first time. (I still have not found the perfect snorkel for me.)

Freediving with a partner is part of the gear, with spearfishing it depends on the environment. I am sure in the clear seas where you have almost unlimited visibility and are diving deep, a partner and a boat are part of the gear as well. Spearfishing in many other environments the partner is just a buddy/friend experience to share together and boast about the kill of the day. Hunting shallow and weedy areas is not conducive to a safety partner. All sports have risks. You have to weigh the risks, get the best equipment and training/skills needed, and enjoy. I really like this forum because it helps me to lower the risk factor and keep a healthy fear alive.

In the lakes I hunt, 20 feet is a deep dive. Even though my dry static is close to 4 minutes, I seldom am underwater for even one minute. Most of the time I am just snorkeling on the surface, because that is all that is needed for the hunt. I am not a risk taker, just others see me as such, because they don't know what I know about the risks.

Last edited:
In low visibility it is very difficult to dive with a partner. I've heard this before. I guess you just have to do all that you can to be safe. We have clear water and we dive pretty deep. In our situation we will not dive alone.

In your situation I don't know if leaving the snorkel in or out would matter. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable on the subject will respond.

Thanks!

Skip

I mostly play underwater hockey where you greatly interrupt your flow if you take you snorkel out, because of this when im in the sea i never take it out because it feels weird and i become less relaxed. in only dive to 10m max.

Greg

Reactions: Mr. X
Snorkel should be out of mouth. During a blackout when the snorkel is left in the mouth you have created a funnel for water to enter your mouth and subsequently you lungs. Black out recovery can be much worse when this happens. From what I have experienced when a blackout occurs the mouth will shut keeping the lungs safe and free of water.

Not to mention there is nothing worse than the blub blub blub that scares all the fish away as the air leaves your snorkel on the bottom when left in your mouth. If removed that air is able to escape upon decent.

out out out in bo situation as mentioned above direct route to lungs. recovery from bo (assuming buddy present) with dry lungs = seconds usually but a lot longer with water in the lungs and you have to get that diver to boat or surface to empty them.
If the snorkel is causing a drag get a real simple soft flexible one and you will have very little drag. forget wave chambers and anti water gizmos at the top of the tube. flexible J tube and you will never go back.

Reactions: Matt Elkins
I believe the diving reflex is also increased with the mouth closed (i.e. snorkel out)

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the diving reflex is also increased with the mouth closed (i.g. snorkel out)
I do not think it is the case. The mouth open or closed makes no difference. Mouth open with water getting in would rather increase the reflex, similarly as water entering the sinus does. However, what does difference is exposing the lips to the direct contact with water. So yes, when you take off the snorkel, the diving reflex may be slightly better, but it is not because of the closed mouth, but because it is not covered by the mouth piece.

Black-out aside, I like diving without my snorkel in my mouth to avoid the noise of air bubbles escaping from the snorkel.

Reactions: acevedo joseph
I have a strong opinion on this -- snorkel OUT. I hold my snorkel in my hand, or sometimes put it under my weight belt.

I have had blackouts with and without the snorkel.

First of all, if you are on the edge of a blackout, there is NO WAY you would ever manage to 'clear the snorkel via displacement.' That is a technique which requires accurate timing, and an accurate estimate of when you are going to hit the surface. When ascending near a blackout, you have NO IDEA where the surface is, or when you will hit it. Often your last clear thought is at 10-15m deep. There is thus no hope to clear the snorkel by any method if you are close to a blackout.

If you clear the snorkel by blasting, you're finished as well. I have done that and blacked out.

When surfacing near the edge of a blackout, you should never ever stop kicking. Upon reaching the surface you should keep kicking as hard as you can, and tread water with your arms as well. This keeps the blood pressure in your head elevated. I discovered this after years of pushing my limit. If I surface and stop kicking, my vision starts disappearing. If I start kicking the pressure wave instantly hits my head and my vision clears.

The idea that by keeping your snorkel in will allow you to STOP kicking as you surface will just worsen the chance of a blackout...

I have a strong opinion on this -- snorkel OUT. I hold my snorkel in my hand, or sometimes put it under my weight belt.

I have had blackouts with and without the snorkel.

First of all, if you are on the edge of a blackout, there is NO WAY you would ever manage to 'clear the snorkel via displacement.' That is a technique which requires accurate timing, and an accurate estimate of when you are going to hit the surface. When ascending near a blackout, you have NO IDEA where the surface is, or when you will hit it. Often your last clear thought is at 10-15m deep. There is thus no hope to clear the snorkel by any method if you are close to a blackout.

If you clear the snorkel by blasting, you're finished as well. I have done that and blacked out.

When surfacing near the edge of a blackout, you should never ever stop kicking. Upon reaching the surface you should keep kicking as hard as you can, and tread water with your arms as well. This keeps the blood pressure in your head elevated. I discovered this after years of pushing my limit. If I surface and stop kicking, my vision starts disappearing. If I start kicking the pressure wave instantly hits my head and my vision clears.

The idea that by keeping your snorkel in will allow you to STOP kicking as you surface will just worsen the chance of a blackout...

Thanks Eric, whether you dive alone or with a buddy it’s all about safety people.
Quite simple really, snorkel in and push it a little hard, game over!:blackeye
Snorkel out and push your luck, at least you have a chance.

Out. definately.

Some of my scuba instructor friends have told me in detail about all the complications of inhaling water...it's pretty horrible...

Snorkel in and ANYTHING goes wrong "GAME OVER" snorkelout and even by yourself you have a chance.

solo blackout correctly weighted and you have a slim chance of being on the surface face up which if all goes well allows the air to trigger your breathing reflex.

snorkel in and you black out, iF the water doesnt get into your lung AND by some miracle you end up on the surface fce up the snorkel is still in the water and if the air restarts your breathing reflex then the first breath is a mouthfull of water,bye bye.

aside from that, snorkel out is much quieter if it comes to the hunt. if you really want to keep an eye on the fish then when on the surface put your snorkel back in before your first breath, clear the snorkel and keep looking, at least this way you can judge when you are on the surface if you are clean enough to take the risk, not while you are still on the way up.

DD

When surfacing near the edge of a blackout, you should never ever stop kicking. Upon reaching the surface you should keep kicking as hard as you can, and tread water with your arms as well. This keeps the blood pressure in your head elevated.

Try to see what PeterP did after surfacing from his 200m dive back in 2003.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4BgRlIF_9M]YouTube - 200m dynamic apnea[/ame]

There is also some interesting knowledge/theory in this article by Seb. Näslund concerning what happens in the airways during "freediving blackout". The article seems to assume that the mouth is closed by default (ie. snorkel out), however, the "freediver laryngospasm" discussed, would seem to provide an extra seal in the airways, at least for a while, just in case one "forget" to take out the snorkel and then black out on the way up. Seems to be a good development in human evolution in absence of noseclips and masks :) But unfortunately it won´t save you; just give your buddy a little more time to help you, or postpone the inevitable a few minutes, should you "forget" to take the pipe out before going ...
I strongly support the snorkel OUT fraction!!! :friday

Very best regards
H!

PS. The name of that smily is "friday" which is today in case you didn't notice. The sun is shining and in a short while i'll be in the sea for good long monofin-surface-swim, and after that its time to enjoy a few good cold beers, aaaaaah!
Update: The bleeding blisters on the toes makes the beer taste a lot better, I'm telling ya´.... ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Don Paul
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT