• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Training volumes to maintain existing skills

TooScared23

Mar 11, 2024
My biggest, worst fear is the possibility that someone specific I care about could unknowingly surpass my breath-holding ability, despite them being untrained. I’ve been diagnosed with severe OCD and have compulsively held my breath at least twice every single day for the last year and a half… Despite undergoing medication and cognitive therapy, I still can’t stop. If I just want to maintain my current ability without further improvement, do I really have to do a “max-ish” static every single day twice? Would reducing it have adverse effects on me?

Thank you. Are you sure about it? Even if I only do normal statics (and not CO2/O2 tables)? By how much do you think I can reduce it?
Yes I am sure. You will be better by NOT training everyday - and I think most divers would agree. I train breath hold off and on - sometimes going for months without doing anything. And when I start up again, I'm right back in stride in just one or two sessions. It's like riding a bicycle, you never really forget. Breath hold abilities also vary from day to day. There are some times when everything just clicks, you don't really know why, but you have a really good session. Other days you feel off - on those days I have learned to just stop and not push it. Even when I'm into a phase where practice a lot, I only do it once every few days.

@TooScared23 you said "My biggest, worst fear is the possibility that someone specific I care about could unknowingly surpass my breath-holding ability, despite them being untrained." That's the thing with breath hold - for a select few it will be super easy. I met a guy this past summer who is very "can-do" in his approach to life. He was a former competitive swimmer and had done breath holding for fun in the past but never had studied or trained in it as a skill. He started to train and practice and got a little over 8 minutes in just 3 months. But this is world class competition level. I don't know what your breath hold personal best is, but if it's 5 minutes or less , then there is a chance "someone specific you care about" might easily beat that.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT