• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Turning techniques durin dynamic apnea

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

iparcell

Feb 12, 2007
I have recently got fins and although the speed me up much more and allow me to use less energy at the same time. im am still only doing 5m more than without fins . i think the main reason for this is that when turning at the end of the pool it takes much more time with fins then without im just looking for some of your turning methods
cheers,

Try not going straight in but doing a broader U turn with your side towards the wall.

Or go straight, but twist around so you are almost on your back just before the wall, that way it is easier to push off in a forward direction.

Let us know how it works for you.

I dont do dynamic apnea as my main sport and use it mainly as training, but am I correct in assuming your not allowed to break the water or else the dynamic will be considered finished. What about using a swimmers turn, coming up off the bottom enough to be able to dive down and turn and kick yourself off the wall again...

Swimmer's turn is usually not efficient at dynamics with fins because of the suction effect when pushing the wall with your feet. There are different techniques used in DYN, but mostly people indeed use the U turn Evita describes. I recommend looking at couple of freediving videos - you'll get the idea. Check out my video collection - you'll find many DYN videos in it.

EDIT: for example the videos labeled "Faire de virage" on the page travail dynamique are excellent:
http://www.passionchasse.com/videosousmarine/comment/videopiscine/50mpalmerotation.wmv
http://www.passionchasse.com/videosousmarine/comment/videopiscine/2virages.wmv

Gonnie Roekevisch (NL) shows quite funny technique of reverse turns in this video from Freediving - Apnea Team Amsterdam:
The video file is protected by a referrer so cannot be linked directly. You need to go the video gallery (second cross "Photo & Video), then select Video Gallery (the bottom square in the triangle), and then click "Gonnie DYN tech. training" (third video).

Last edited:
Reactions: Bussard
You can break the water within 5 meters from the wall, so you can break the water during a turn. By swimmers turn, do you mean a crawl turn? I have seen freedivers do that with a monofin, flipping it clear of the water in a salto and smacking it against the wall for push-off. It looks awesome, but also quite exhausting. I wouldn't do it...

Exactly what I meant Evita, but I do think with practice it wont take such alot of effort and I thought it mite save on time. But hey like I said, I use dynamics only for training purposes and if I do turnrofl Its normally a lazy u turn not even pushing off the wall for distance, so I guess Ill leave it to the competitors to do that bit...

I think you're right about saving time with the salto turn - the competitors I have seen doing it were high-speeders and explosive in the water, so this turn suited their style really well. I go really slow and I am too lazy to bother with a high flip of the fin zzz

Trux/Evita
do you use the same techniques with monofins?

Trux/Evita
do you use the same techniques with monofins?
Again, different techniques of turns are being use with monofins too. As I already suggested, I recommend watching some videos of top competitors and comparing their techniques.

Using a flip turn (competitive swimmer type) with long fins can work pretty well for dynamic. You flip and heels hit the wall very near the surface, fin blades in the air. Looks bonkers, but allows a strong push off with no suction effect. You don't try to rotate to belly down until after the push off. I use it off and on. For me, It isn't very relaxing, just a good change of pace. If your style of dynamic was fast, it might be a good choice. It gets much easier with practice. Probably not worth the trouble for a relaxed style.

Connor

Hi Trux, cool site on the video links you've done! Thanks a lot.

It seems most people use the slow relaxed U turn. Does that apply to monofin too? Any clips you know of showing the monofin turn pls?

Hi,
check out the video of P.Pedersens 200m record, there u see the turn with monofin

try to avoid to break the surface, it will evidently create waves=energy loss.

I do a variation of eva's U turn but I lift my knees to my chest while doing so. My idea is to minimise the radius of my body mass and by that having to pay less energy for the rotation. Disadvantage is that I have to move my legs slightly more, of cause that cost something too.

Trux, I appreciate your comment. Problem is that very few videos of competitors adequately show turns. Try finding a video of Natalia, for example, that adequately shows her current turns. Videos from the surface are often blocked during the turns by judges, glare (see Katarina's video below), and safety personnel, and underwater videos are mainly at the center of the pool, far away from the turn action. There are plenty of push-off turns available for viewing since a lot of folks do them, but if you want another kind of turn, it takes a lot of searching.

In any case, I include here several good videos of the various kinds of turns -

Outside turns (face is toward the wall during the turn)

I do not know who this is but it is a good demonstration.

Melanie Long

KATARINA TURČINOVIĆ just explodes out of her turns.

Inside turns (face is toward the pool during the turn)

Natalia Molchanova

I cannot find a good video of her doing this kind of turn using a hyperfin.

Push-off turns

Eric Van Riet Pap

Alexey Molchanov

Side-spin or Single-axis turns. This is a turn mainly for rigid fins such the DOL-Fin, and Lunocet (though I have not tried it with the Lunocet). Many people do this turn, or a variation if it, using their monofins with poor results.

Ron Smith

Flip Turns

There used to be a video of Wes Lapp up on vimeo doing flip turns. Is gone now though. Not sure why.

Thanks! amazing video collection - exactly what I was looking for. I've had Lunocet Pro for a while and I'm still trying different turning techniques. Most fail miserably :( By accident there have been some good ones too without loosing that much speed, but I'm not sure how I id it :)

I love the way Katarina T. is doing her turns, but it seems that exploding speed is a result of massive surface of her monofin utilising close proximity of the wall with perfect technique - avoiding suction yet benefitting from the wall somehow.. I think that is beyond reach with Lunocet?!

I can see that Ron's speed with DOL-fin stalls somewhat in turns, otherwise that style is probably best for Luno too.

Thanks and happy turning everyone!

Thanks! amazing video collection - exactly what I was looking for. I've had Lunocet Pro for a while and I'm still trying different turning techniques. Most fail miserably :( By accident there have been some good ones too without loosing that much speed, but I'm not sure how I id it :)

I love the way Katarina T. is doing her turns, but it seems that exploding speed is a result of massive surface of her monofin utilising close proximity of the wall with perfect technique - avoiding suction yet benefitting from the wall somehow.. I think that is beyond reach with Lunocet?!

I can see that Ron's speed with DOL-fin stalls somewhat in turns, otherwise that style is probably best for Luno too.

Thanks and happy turning everyone!
Sorry for my long delayed reply.

The Katarina Turn, Outside Turn, Inside Turn, and Sidespin Turns all would work well with rigid fins like yours and Ron Smith's. They each have their advantages and disadvantages.

You can see them on my youtube channel

Or my IG channel @walter_johnson_770

If you have any questions, I am happy to answer them. I know how to do all the turns so I think I have a good perspective.

Trux, I appreciate your comment. Problem is that very few videos of competitors adequately show turns. Try finding a video of Natalia, for example, that adequately shows her current turns. Videos from the surface are often blocked during the turns by judges, glare (see Katarina's video below), and safety personnel, and underwater videos are mainly at the center of the pool, far away from the turn action. There are plenty of push-off turns available for viewing since a lot of folks do them, but if you want another kind of turn, it takes a lot of searching.

In any case, I include here several good videos of the various kinds of turns -

Outside turns (face is toward the wall during the turn)

I do not know who this is but it is a good demonstration.

Melanie Long

KATARINA TURČINOVIĆ just explodes out of her turns.

Inside turns (face is toward the pool during the turn)

Natalia Molchanova

I cannot find a good video of her doing this kind of turn using a hyperfin.

Push-off turns

Eric Van Riet Pap

Alexey Molchanov

Side-spin or Single-axis turns. This is a turn mainly for rigid fins such the DOL-Fin, and Lunocet (though I have not tried it with the Lunocet). Many people do this turn, or a variation if it, using their monofins with poor results.

Ron Smith

Flip Turns

There used to be a video of Wes Lapp up on vimeo doing flip turns. Is gone now though. Not sure why.

I finally compiled a playlist of flip turns. Wes Lapp used them in a US national record swim. They were a bit cumbersome at points, but he got through it. Pete Botman did a beautiful one, but couldn't remember how he did it, so couldn't repeat it.

Radziah and I tried our hand at it.

I learned how to do it in case someone wanted to learn it. It isn't hard really.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT