• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Two monthes spearfishing holiday. WHERE SHOULD I GO ??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Apneista

Jan 12, 2006
HI everybody !
I'm a freediver and spearfisher of average performances (-30m, 4 min static apnea). During the period mid Agust-October I'll have the UNIQUE opportunity to take 2 and half monthes vacation. I'd like to know wheather some of you coould kindly recommend me some exotic place (all the world is available!), where I could spend my holiday, spearfishing and freediving.
What I'm looking for is a place where one could start fishing from shore (no boat required), and possibly where sharks are not known to attack freedivers too often... Furthermore, I'd like a place where life is not too expensive and where one could easily do some travelling. I had in mind places like: Costa Rica, Peru, Noth Australia, Senegal....
I'll be very greatful to everyone that could send me some advice. The postcard is guaranteed !
Dario (dariocastagnoli@tele2.ch)

The azores seems to have great spearfishing and good regulations. However not so good for traveling around.

I'm from Azores (Pico) and the info i can add is:
About regulation you get for 14€ a licence that is valid for the present year. you can catch 5 fish/day/men and you can´t hunt "mero" (grouper) ephinephelus marginatus.
with your perfromance the dificult part will be to choose only 5 fish!!! on the summer there will be great pelagics near shore
Water temp will be around 25 in and out of water. humidity is high
a 5mm is perfect and spearguns from 90 and up. 100 and 120 will probably be the best. if only one to cary take de 110
about the traveling, you can get to know the islands with fairly cheap boat tickets between them and that´s a lot of km of shore to spearfish.
what will be more costly is to get there (airplain ticket)
people are very friendly and with great probability you'll endup invited to "adegas" to taste wine and all the other drinks or tho eat "petiscos"
A lot of fiestas in summer with good bands.

sorry for the desorganized reply and for the spelling.

it´s a great place to go as many other that you mentioned.
good luck with your picking (i wish i had decisions like that to make)

Fernando

Hi Fernando.
Thanks for the great info on Azores.

For this trip the Azores are too isolated, because I'll be travelling for 2 monthes. However you defenitely raised my interest.

When would it be the best time of the year for a spear fishing holiday there? I'm located in Europe. Which is the cheapest way to get there?

Thanks !

The best would be all spring and summer (because of the pelagics).
9 islands, 1 week per island and you'll be missing one island :)

The cheapest way would probably ba a direct flyght to São Miguel or Terceira islands. But i don't have much info about that right now... where are you (country?)

Let us know when you pick the destination

Fernando

A week spearfishing, flying out from London

Hi Fernando,

Great info on the Azores. I'm based in London and not fortunate enough to have two months off, but can spare a week or two here and there :)

Which island , or maybe which two islands in the Azores would be best to go to for spearfishing?

Is there anything else for a tourist to do there? Is it as expensive as Europe for a tourist?

Thanks,

Brad

what about TUNA in the azores Fernando can we cacth one those beauties ;)
obrigado

Re: A week spearfishing, flying out from London

Hi Fernando,

Great info on the Azores. I'm based in London and not fortunate enough to have two months off, but can spare a week or two here and there :)

Which island , or maybe which two islands in the Azores would be best to go to for spearfishing?

Is there anything else for a tourist to do there? Is it as expensive as Europe for a tourist?

Thanks,

Brad

You can find some low cost flights to São Miguel. São miguel is easier to get to as it is the "main" island and then you have Santa Maria nearby. Flores and Corvo are also great for spreafishing as are the central group islands with great pinacles (I just mentioned all the island so i didn't really helped :) )

Anything else to do? do you have a spare year?!?!

whale and dolphin watching
diving snorkeling
hicking, climbing, cave exploring
In summer "Festas" every weekend (at minimun)
great variety of landscaping types to visit
vulcanic sights,
active vulcanism: hot springs, geotermic cooked meals,
all terrain paths (car, bike, motorcycle)
gastronomy
natural rock pools
surf, wind surf, sailing
knowing people for all knid of countries...

just search a bit :)

cheaper then europe to visit except for the plain ticket...

some suggestions (not the most affordable though):
Aldeia da Cuada - Flores Island - Azores - Portugal
Furnas Lake Villas
Pocinho Bay

To you, and all the others, i usually reply in same day or next. If i do not, please send a PM...

Hope it helps

PS: Winter is not the best time to visit...

Last edited:
MEXICO!

BAJA, Quintana Roo, Oaxaca, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan etc.. so many good places you could spend 2 months just in Baja and not see it all.

north central coast of cuba is a good choice... lots of fish and cheap for tourist... mostly shallow locations ... the local spearos will take you to those locations by boat for a good price... pristine waters !! oh and not many sharks except for the ocassional big hammerhead or a couple of bullies... no makos or great whites lol.

An interesting destination for a long spear fishing holiday is Banana Island, Sierra Leone. There is not much fishing being done there, and fish stocks are unbelievable. Spearos with less experience/ability can land little monsters. There are no limitations for number of fish caught. There is not much limitation in general as there are not many regulations in place yet. More to the point, you will enjoy the experience of traveling in a diverse destination with very little tourism and you will receive a genuine welcome from the locals (especially with the fish that you will bring!) The country is very safe, but lacks on infrastructure . But if you are not there for the luxuries and focus on the experience and the fishing, you can have a hell of a time, see lots of things, and spend a fraction of what you would spend on a fishing holiday. Try Banana Divers for details information on species, conditions, and general advise of how to get there. They have several boats for fishing, but you may not need to use them as the fish is near the shore and you can just jump in! Daltond Banana Guesthouse near by h as rooms for $10 and cheap meals etc. Good luck

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT