• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

underwater mp3

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

icon

Feb 8, 2010
I'm looking for a waterproof mp3 player for freediving. I know h20 audio sells the idive for scuba with the proper headphones, but it's too big. Any other suggestions? Finis makes the swimp3, which doesnt go in your ear, but is only for 10ft. do you think it could goto 20?

thanks,
dan

Jon and I researched the crap out of these 5 years ago. Obviously, devices have gotten better. But, I still have not seen one that goes below 10 feet. They are made for swimming laps, not dropping down. You'll have to continue singing to yourself for now....

Check with Dr "WRECKRUNNER" - I believe he just purchased one that goes into his rectum.

Well, the H2O used to sell the DVi700 MP3 player set which was rated to 300ft/100m. I think it was a little bit smaller that the iPod case. I do not see it in their offer, so they probably don't manufacture it anymore. You may be able to find it on eBay or perhaps still at some resellers.

315Q3YCF03L._SS500_.jpg

The headphones are the same type as at the iPod system. The headphones are the probably the principal problem at MP3 players - practically all of them, including the bone induction systems, are rated just to 10-12 ft. THe ones from H2O Audio are the only ones I found to be rated deeper. Unfortunately they apparently do not sell them individually, but probably just in a bundle with the iPod syste, or with the empty iPod UW case ($260). So if you are looking for something smaller, you may be more successful in finding a UW case for an MP3 player and combine it with these phones if you really need to listen to music underwater.

iRiver also used to sell an MP3 player rated quite deep (it was the iRiver iFP-380T), but once again, I did not find it on their catalogue anymore, and they do not seem to offer any underwater products now.

Personally I am quite happy underwater even without music, so do not miss the audio, but am interested about the underwater headphones for another purpose, so did some research before. If you find anything other than the H2O speakers, rated to at least 50m, I'd like to know it too.

Whopperhead, a rectum player would be indeed an interesting alternative. The rectum itself is usually already pretty waterproof (unless you are in Egypt), so it might well replace the waterproof case. The only remaining problem is that the player would have to be sh!tproof, but since on most players people usually listen to incredible sh!t anyway, I guess it must work.

Reactions: unirdna
iPod case sounds like a good idea for existing iPod but $260 part of it is crazy when $199 gets You iPhone 4

BTW Scott, that doesn't sound like Jeremy at all:)
Posted via Mobile Device

Cool thanks. I'm bidding for the iriver one on ebay right now. Looks like the last one ever
Posted via Mobile Device

I've owned two different ones so far. One was a swimming version, good to 10', and the other was the diver version, good to a couple of hundred feet. In the end they both sucked. The swimming version had ear phones that never sealed right. I could get one earphone to seal or the other, but never both at the same time. Even when I did get one to seal as soon as a did a flip turn it would flood and screw everything up.

The diver version was slightly better, but the earphones were so large I wouldn't want to dive with them. The best under water speakers I've used were part of an underwater communication system that used bone-conduction spealers. They worked great, but I've nver seen a decent mp3 player that used them.

I would save your money if I were you.

I used to know a couple of tech divers that used to hang speakers over the side of their boats to listen to during decompression. The sound was decent because of how well it travels through water, but you were stuck listening to whatever you put in the player before decent.

Jon

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT