• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Weight Belt

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Lac Millions

Aug 28, 2014
Hey guys. Was just looking to buy my first weight belt and just wanted to make sure im buying the right thing. I was told rubber instead of scuba belts so would either of the two below work? Is that all I need for my belt setup besides the weights? I can get the weights at the local shop but they unfortunately dont have elastic type belts.

Thanks!

http://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/seacsub-elastic-belt-nylon-buckle/70273/p

http://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/best-divers-black-rubber-belt/137721/p

For me weights were significantly cheaper from scubastore when compared to local store (didn't add much to shipping either)

I think I have the Seacsub one and it has worked fine (doesn't slip as much as my old nylon scuba belt) Either one will probably be fine

Great, thanks. I was going to order weights as well but it added over 30 dollars to the shipping cost for some reason.

I was already ordering quite a few items so shipping was probably maxed out (I'm in Europe and chose the cheaper shipping option..)

Makes sense. Im shipping to canada so that probably has something to do with it. Hopefully weight isnt too much more here though!

eBay also has rubber / Marseilles weight belts that aren't too expensive when you factor in shipping to Canada.

Another option is Mako. If you drop your belt / weights for safety reasons... They will replace them FREE!

Awesome idea.
Dive safe.

Those belts look fine and the prices look very good :). Personally, I would go for the one with the metal buckle as it is cheaper and - I expect - stronger (although that ain't necessarily so), and I am heavy on gear. That said, the nylon buckle will be less visible, quieter and Seacsub gear is normally quite good, although it can be a bit small for larger spearos *.

FYI I have always used a rubber belt with a Marseille-buckle, which I believe is somewhat traditional for spearing, and like it . I use a Rob Allen belt but their prices in the UK have risen sharply** since I got mine:( and I would not recommend them at their current price (you have to be ready, willing and able to dump this piece of equipment in an emergency) - fortunately good alternatives are readily available, as you have found :).
pic-marsellaise-weigthbelt.jpg

* I have a Seacsub mask & snorkel: the mask strap & snorkel are both about 3-4cm too short for my tastes & sea conditions. Probably designed for a smaller person.
** To be fair, the £'s value has fallen a lot since early '80s but has recovered a lot recently - so prices should start to fall again, hopefully.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys! I'll go with the metal buckle one then :D Hoping I can find some single hole weights locally, they seem more freediving specific. Im trying to get this all in one order since someones doing the online part for me. Im getting my socks and gloves in the same order. Thanks again!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT