• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Went spearfishing for the first time...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Sep 1, 2013
It was amazing! I had my 3 prong (hawaii 3 prong awesome stuff) and suited up for some not so warm water off of Nova Scotia and shot my first fish! a little fish (I have yet to ID) but luckily there extremely plentiful pesk fish that surround the docks, taste good and aren't venomous or poisonous. I also shot a couple squid to top it off! some mackerel darted around (I mean torpedoed around) and were way to fast to aim at. All in all it was cool experience and I can't wait to go again!

Reactions: Kars
Welcome to the sport! It can be addictive.

I started much the same way over 60 years ago, and I'm still at it.

Welcome Free Spearo. The most common fish of any size we get around our shores (UK) are various types of Wrasse - perhaps that is what your fish was?

They are very wrasse like and have blue lips/mouths/skin under scales, everybody up here calls them "cunners" when spearing yesterday day actually had a lot of fun aswell! Shot seven "cunners" and saw a FAT Atlantic mackerel! I love my pole spear but I'm thinking of investing in a gun (Mako predator 2 gen) because I need bigger fish to satisfy everybody at the table, also a little more of a challenge between the blue torpedoes and the illusive pollock...

I have to many addictions, I can't sustain many more but this one has to stay :p

welcome to a very relaxing and addictive sport! Hope your fish grow in size and number! Congratulations! You will definitely benefit a lot from experienced members on this forum like Bill and Mr. X. Hope to hear more of your spearing stories soon!

Please use adive buddy and learn your limits! Be safe AND have fun.

Most importantly... Scout out all of the spots and get to know the most productive times of day and year....

That way, I can visit and I'll have access to awesome local knowledge!!!! :D

Stay safe and get a decent length gun if you have good visibility. A 90 might work for average vis and 100 for good vis, but might limit you if it gets churned up.

I have some Mako guns and find them to be great. Well-built, feel really solid and high quality / durable... YET relatively inexpensive!

A gun, a float line, inflatable float with flag (if you plan to travel with it... Otherwise solid works) and the hoop-of-death stringer is all you need.

Good thing you said that Apneaddict, My mako 70 (vis sucks and going for smaller fish) just arrived at the post office!

However my family has made a strange rule... Nobody can be in the water with me when I'm spearfishing... Guess I'll just be shooting and snorkeling, I'm not comfortable doing a breat hold with somebody beside me.

Luckily the fish I shoot are very shallow so surface shooting isn't a problem. If a shaft gets stuck I'll have somebody hop in and hover over me.

I just had my first spearing session too, couple days ago. First in almost 30 years I mean. Fishing grounds are amazing where I am, it was like shooting gallery. Every dive I had to pick which one to shoot. 20 minutes and my bag was full. Rock cod mostly, nothing really big or fancy, but made couple really good dinners. Fun-fun

Hey Spearo. I'm looking to start hunting. Gimmie a shout if your looking for a swim buddy. Did a tiny bit out west with a borrowed rig while diving and want to go out some more.

The Free Spearo, sounds like your family is more concerned about you hurting somebody else than you yourself getting in trouble :)
The benefit of spearing alone is that you are unlikely to spear anyone else, peace & simplicity (no "group dynamics" to deal with) - you should not push breathholding. The benefit of spearing with a buddy is they might be able to help you if you get in trouble (e.g. Shallow Water Blackout) and/or may be able to raise the alarm.

O'Rogue: 2 forum member spearos in Nova Scotia - how cool is that! BTW If you want to meet others in your area you might want to start a thread in the regional area of the forum ;)

Welcome in the club mate!
Good luck !

=====================
http://spearo.republika.pl
spearfishing.gif

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT