• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

what knifes do you use?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

willloomy

May 7, 2008
i lost my cheep skeleton dive knife walking back from a dive last weekend and i am using it as an opportunity to upgrade. before i buy a new knife i would like to know what are some of the knifes that you use what you like don't like about them?

I now am a convert to the mini Omer which I wear on my arm. That's the strap version not the silly velcro thing. I might be tempted by a titanium one despite the cost if I could find one the same shape and size as the Omer.

Dave.

PS There's a whole thread on knives somewhere.

cressi_killer-knife_l_315x315.gif

This is the cressi killer. I've had and lost many knifes but this one is my favourite. It's got a really effective yet simple sheath which holds it firmly in place. It's a relatively small knife but effective for dispatching fish. I doubt i'll change knife while they still make it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X and spaghetti
cressi super totem - its a bit big maybe - gets snagged a bit sometimes on weed, but it is really sharp

Just like OMD, I use the Omer Mini Lazer. Ideal size to be worn on the arm, and has a nice sharp point. Keeps an edge OK, just needs a quick sharpen once a week if diving a lot. I didn't like the velcro, and the rubber strap is way too bulky, so I made my own strap from elastic webbing. Far more comfortable.

I have a cheap, flat Taiwanese "United"/Stingray (ebay) knife -probably the same as the one you lost -- in a flat Limpet/Pancake sheath on my inner calf. Mine has been deliberately aggressively sharpened over time, so it is somewhat slimmer than normal. But I usually dispatch fish with my fish stringer's spike. I started carry a home-made iki-jimi spike on my belt recently.
knifeskeleton.jpg

I've considered the following knives in the past (also see older threads):

[*]RA Assegai (flat, v. expensive, only half handguard); a couple of other companies (e.g. Pelaj) offer similar products,
roballen_knives_scabbards.jpg

[*]Mares/Sporasub Snake (v. expensive, perfect dagger shape? Zinc anti-corrision butt) [see image near bottom of post].

[*]Omer Laser USA (inexpensive, no moving parts, simple sheath, same blade as Omer Mini Laser mentioned above & endorsed by StuckInSurrey:), simple but effective rubber ring holder)

[*]Imersion Mini dagger - (inexpensive, slim spearo dagger, 2 variants available). https://www.apnea.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1139&osCsid=c9c24e3c9d2f5801001dbe734450c08e
imersion_knife.png

[*]Beuchat Mundial dagger - looks cool but a little plasticky.
mundialdagger.jpg

[*]Old Omer dagger - looks cool but early reports of quality problems like loose handles put me off. (You can glue them yourself - but you shouldn't have to).

[*]Seac-sub Samuri - small, cheap (ebay/Paignton) dispatching knife for arm/belt (similar to Omer Mini Laser but blade shape not as good IMHO):
http://www.scubasworld.com/proddetail.php?prod=seacsamuraiknife&cat=13
seacsamuraiknife2.jpg

[*]Hattori dagger - simple, flat diving dagger (medium price, cheap for a Hattori). Blade seems a bit broad to me but its Japanese :) - and the Japanese love good blades.
knife_hattori_silver.jpg

My current preference is for the Omer mini laser USA or an iki-spike (for dispatching, fixed on belt or arm) and/or the Mares/Sporasub Snake (for general/emergency use, fixed on leg/calf) - although I'd miss the sleek unobtrusiveness of the flat RA limpet sheath and security of the unbroken elastic leg bands (although buckles are probably easier to put on).

laserusa2.jpg
snakedagger2.jpg

Still waiting for somebody to come out with a cooler profile flat, slim, affordable spearo dagger - preferably in a flat tape Limpet/Pancake sheath. An Omer laser or mini laser USA with a flat, metal handle & flat tape sheath perhaps?

Some handy links with good selections of spearo knives:
http://www.bluewaterhunter.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/shop_knives.html
http://www.scubasworld.com/products.php?cat=13

Last edited:
I suggest you take a look at the Hattori knife. You should be able to find them easily in Hawaii.

I had one for over 20 years and their quality is fantastic. I was really bummed when mine was recently lost/stolen after at dive. After looking at the other knife options I when back to buying the same exact Hattori model I had. I wear mine on my bicepts and was too used to the very simple and effective way the knife unlocks from the sheath with a single move using one hand.

But note, as with any steel knive, it will rust if you don't take care of it. If that bothers you, another option is a titanium blade. I looked into the Wenoka Squeeze, and almost pulled the trigger on it, but in the end opted for the more familiar (to me) Hattori.

Hope this helps.

Claudio

Last edited:
cressi_killer-knife_l_315x315.gif

This is the cressi killer. I've had and lost many knifes but this one is my favourite. It's got a really effective yet simple sheath which holds it firmly in place. It's a relatively small knife but effective for dispatching fish. I doubt i'll change knife while they still make it.

i had the cressi killer and love the simple sheath desighn droped mine in poor vis and never found it again but will be getting another

i used a friends wenoka squeeze titanium for a while it was great for killing but i didn't have enough time with it to really get to know it.

I use IST titanium knife cheap and i have no problem with it(I bought it more then 1 year before) here is the picture IST Titanium Knife Sharp Tip at SwimOutlet.com i connect it to my leg and attach it to flexible wire and connect the other end to my swimming belt like this even if it fell down i will not lose it in water.

Another vote for the Beuchat Mundial its a great knife and fits very well on the forearm, but will rust a little if not taken care of.

I use my ten years old Cressi Killer at the belt, AND the arm-strapped Omer Mini Laser. Carrying two knives makes it safer than one (tangling hazard, fishing nets...)

I always used a Cressi Killer - I thought it was the best knife but I have lost three of them - always in the same way - in amongst the kelp. I like a knife strapped to my leg which I can reach with either hand. I found that the rubber ring retaining the knife seemed to get pulled off the knife when I was in amongst the weed.

Am now experimaenting with the flat blades as a result. I own two: the Picasso Tigre and the RA Assegai. Of the two the RA is much better. I wouldn't recommend the Picasso - I had to regrind the edge because it just wasn't sharp - it was more like a traditional diving knife - thick and not sharp but did have a sharp point for dispatching fish, would be fine for spear retrieval and prizing stuff apart - but for skinnign and filleting reasonably rubbsih IMHO. The RA is more expensive, and very nice, and if I lose it I will be p++++ed off - but I treated myself. If you aren't precious about these things I'd go for the cheapest you can find.

My buddy rates the Omer mini laser - arm mounted with the velcro that OMD doesn't like. He on the other hand loves it.

Reactions: Mr. X
It was interesting to read your review of the Cressi Killer v. Picasso Tigre v. RA Assegai James.

Because of the disposable nature of weight belts (which you need be willing to ditch) and knives (which tend to get dropped), I tend to see expensive knives as lacking a key feature - priced for loss. Having said that, my current cheapo knife has been with me for several years now (partly due to a springy lanyard of 30-40lb mono and a short length of shock absorbing 3mm bungee, partly due to its shininess and partly because I normally use a spike to dispatch fish now).

I think the Omer USA fits the bill price-wise but I've started making my own iki-spike for dispatching. Much as I like the look Spider and Assegai (and the RA ikijimi spike), I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a dive knife that I might well loose first time out. If they were half the price (i.e. a similar price to most spearo knives) I'd be on it in a flash though:D. I usually end up concluding that my current knife & spikes are good enough.

BTW I've been trying some new sharpening devices recently :)

Last edited:
I probably did spend too much on something which I will probably lose. Tackle tart that I am. I have thought about lanyards and lines to stop me losing knives but I have always thought that presents an entanglement danger which I don't want to risk - I'd rather lose my knife:waterwork:waterwork

If the Picasso had been up to the job I wouldn't have bought the RA.

I am always getting float lines caught up on rocks, and going into caves/holes/bits of wreckage, where I worry I might get caught up. The thought of a knife lanyard stopping me ascending is too scary.

Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT