• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

What speargun for so cal

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Bill,

I would have been more than happy to call you last year, but I only got one WSB. And I only saw a total of 2 WSB for the entire season.

I also only saw one YT and took it. So for the entire year of 2006 I shot one WSB and one YT both of which were about 30lbs. Not great and not worth making any phone calls.

Everytime I see your avatar I kick myself for not taking you up on your invitation.

Nate

Hey guys good to here some success in socal. I live in North San Diego and i have been seeing some good calico the last couple of times i have been lobster diving. The last one i saw in fact was tucked away in a crevice prob about 15lb or more. I also found a good size Rockfish not exactly sure what it was but looked like it would have been good eating. I just got into spearfishing recently i have been going out around the carlsbad encinitas area (tamarack, swamis etc) either of you know if this is a good spot to spear?
-Joe

Bill,

Where do you by your spectra line? I have been looking all over for it and can't find it anywhere. . . also what pound test is 2.5mm or 3mm?

THanks, Ken

AB Diver said:
Bill,

Where do you by your spectra line? I have been looking all over for it and can't find it anywhere. . . also what pound test is 2.5mm or 3mm?

THanks, Ken

I get it from Masahiro Mori. He is in the LA area, but I have him ship it to me.

morifish@aol.com

(310) 628-8082

I don't know the pound test, but its strong enough to be irrelevant.

Now that I'm back home, here are some examples reels, reel mounting, and lines.

When I side mount Riffe reels, I use stainless steel threaded inserts and machine screws rather than wood screws. That way you can attach and remove reels without messing up the wood.

If you decide to order a Wong gun, the easiest thing to do is have him mount an Aimrite reel on it, and fill it with that hi-vis yellow spectra kite line. He cuts out a pocket in the wood so that the reel is flush mounted to inserts that are in the top of the pocket.

Attachments

• inserts.JPG
    inserts.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 121
  • inserts2.JPG
    inserts2.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 2reels3mm.JPG
    2reels3mm.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2821.JPG
    IMG_2821.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_2822.JPG
    IMG_2822.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 124
more

The last one is a Rob Allen stainless steel reel with 2.5 mm Spectra.

Attachments

• IMG_2826.JPG
    IMG_2826.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2829.JPG
    IMG_2829.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 146
  • RA-2.5-magnum.JPG
    RA-2.5-magnum.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Thanks Bill,

I am headed to the coast this weekend to get some target practice or maybe even a fish??? :martial

If anything becomes of the trip I will post a picture or two. . .

Later, Ken

Bill McIntyre said:
Respectfully, you just haven't come across a very large fish. A 75 cm gun is not going to get it shooting white sea bass and yellowtail. Its not "sporting" to wound a fish and then have it tear off.

Or maybe you are so good that you can always place the tip against the side of the fish before pulling the trigger. I'm still not sure the gun would shoot though a large fish, but in any event I can't always get that close.

It's true. I should have specified. I am a freshwater diver and this is my first year, the biggest fish I have shot was a 5lb carp that was about 12 feet away at lake powell. I do know people though who have taken carp up to 30 lbs with the same gun (not sure on penatration but the barb came out the other side). what I mean by lowest power setting is that if you look at youre shaft you will see two notches one farther back than the other I always use the one furthest foreward.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT