• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

what yoga exercises do you do?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
The truth is somewhere in the middle, I guess: Just don't overdo it.
I also find myself less flexible in the mornings, but some easy stretching makes things feel so much better.

If You know Your body well enough, it won't hurt. My Opinion, that is.

Cool, looking forward to that. A friend of mine shoved me that way before, but I never went. - Thanks for finding out what I missed so far. ;-)

hey Sanso,

Our whole company has been signed up to do this course now.
Part I Program
This is not Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's original Art of Living, but something else. This is sudarshan kriya, which is a breathing technique and pattern to be done twice daily, to reach (I understand), happiness and cleanliness from within. [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudarshan_Kriya"]Wikipaedia[/ame]: ...the kriya allows a healthy and pleasant mind to produce chemical messengers, which travel from the nervous system to the immune system, resulting in the overall betterment of both body and mind.

We have to do 3 hours a day for three, then four hours on the last day. I packed in the last time, as I couldnt stand the guy telling me who I should be, what I should do, and more more importantly, how i should be feeling and that my feelings are incorrect. (?) I really don't want to go this time. These cleansing breaths that they talk about, are inhalations and exhalations in tune to a chant. The fastest rate that you do, is about as fast as you could possibly do for over a minute. The total breathing experience lasts nearly an hour, by which time you have hyperventilated so much you burst into tears.

Its no wonder that everyone feels that they have had an "out-of-body experience" afterwards. I nearly passed out. They call it cleansing. They also suggest that we only eat a handful of food a day. (that was suggested by the guru who looked like he could lose a few pounds himself).

Then they put this video on about "His Holiness Sri Sri Ravi Shankar" (how does one get the title "His Holiness"??) - and all the work he does around the world. Charities, schools etc etc, which is the good part, and then promptly after the video they start suggesting that you contribute money to the cause. (that's after the 200USD you already paid to do the course in the first place).

What happened to just good old yoga?

Call me a skeptic as well... but this "breatharianism" still hasn't convinced me. I'd rather freedive any day. And eat.

.. So Hum...

Reactions: Mr. X and sanso
This is not Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's original Art of Living, but something else

Sara, just to avoid any confusion, Maharishi taught Transcendental Meditation, and has nothing to do with The Art of Living organization run by Ravi Shankar. In fact, the name "Art of Living" was copied by Ravi Shankar from a book by Maharishi wrote in the 60's called "The Science of Being and Art of Living".

Hey sara. this breatharianism thing ... what a crock of shit.
Jeez I can't believe the stuff people are selling these days.
yoga is good stuff and pranayama if you can do it (not as easy as we might think) is a great way to focus on calmness.... but this hybrid take all the best bits from other practices give it a daft name and charge lots of money for it is *******s.... This is of course just my most Humble opinion.
shankar' daughter has a couple of albums out .... really nice stuff try "Rise" it does it for me. OK ...I'm off to Dahab..... ha ha

Another point, there are two Ravi Shankars, one the famous sitar player whose daughter is the musician Yoda is reffering to, and the other one who set up the Art of Living organization.

Reactions: yoda turtle
Adrian is right on both accounts. Maharishi did write that book - i just left out half the title. Sorry to have caused confusion. I also think that the famous sitarr player passed away recently, didnt he? or am i just rumour mongering again?

No problemo - I haven't heard that he has passed away - the Maharishi passed away in Feb, at around 91 years. Yoda, I've been teaching TM since 1977. I used to do a lot of asanas several times a day for many years, been lazy lately in that respect but I meditate regularly (daily) with long programs. It's my passion, and my peace.

I've got a couple of books on yoga and keep dabbling with it - really feel the benefits but have yet to get into a regular routine ! I went on a course for a year (once a week) and then got some books. I think that a course is good as you will have plenty of questions I guess.
The best general book I've found is this orange one 'Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha' you can get it on amazon. I've got a David Senson one too with a dvd but it is a different style (Ashtanga) which doesn't suit me at the moment.
Pranayama excercises with asanas help me...
Cheers
Ed

adolphin has recommended me a yoga instructor here in Abu Dhabi, only 250dhs for ten sessions. (about 70usd), for one on one training. I have seen his results, greatly improved flexibility and also better performance in the water.

Apparently he teaches hatha yoga... from other people I hear Ashtanga yoga works better. :confused:

Ashtanga is a vigorous form of Hatha Yoga. People who like it always say it works better. It is named after Patanjali's Ashtanga (8-limbed) yoga however, depending on your reading of Patanjali, Hatha work is an aspect of Ashtanga - which describes Raja Yoga - Hatha embodying a different emphasis as a distinct path. Pattabi Jois - founder of Ashtanga Hatha yoga calls it thus in order to emphasize a practice which embraces the other limbs such as morality and meditation - but his emphasis is clearly Hatha Yoga. (he studied under Krischnamacharya - as did BKS Iyengar, Indra Devi, TKV Desikachar (K's son) and a number of others. All came away and developed their own approaches - sign of a truly great teacher.) Personally I like the way 'ashtanga' is organized into asana series with vinyasa (flow) between poses - structured breathing, bandhas and eye movements. It gives you something solid to work toward and on but there is also the possibility of forcing your body to conform to the practice. These elements are also not unique to Jois' Ashtanga.

The short point is that Ashtanga is a school of hatha yoga. I think its useful to point out that Hatha Yoga is very much about de-conditioning the body - reducing the physiological noise level and liberating energy stored as habit, conflict and blockage. It is important to approach it in balanced way according to time, place and person. It will make you physiologically more efficient.

The former bass player for The Police, shortly after he took up ashtanga hatha yoga, announced that, as a result, he could now have sex for at least eight hours continuously. Almost immediately he appeared on the cover of Yoga Journal and on TV, his oiled body clad only in some sort of genuine hindu underwear, performing basic asanas of the ashtanga first series. Being famous and ultra good-looking, nobody asked him how long he could go if someone else was involved..

Last edited:
The former bass player for The Police, shortly after he took up ashtanga hatha yoga, announced that, as a result, he could now have sex for at least eight hours continuously. Almost immediately he appeared on the cover of Yoga Journal and on TV, his oiled body clad only in some sort of genuine hindu underwear, performing basic asanas of the ashtanga first series. Being famous and ultra good-looking, nobody asked him how long he could go if someone else was involved..

Right that's it. Goes without saying rofl rofl Although if I were to have sex for 8 hours continously I would prefer someone to be there.

Thanks for the info Chris :)

What this "art of living" course is trying to do is get everyone into the "present moment" - not think about the past, or future. Hence all the panting, hyperventilation, and arm movements while breathing in and out, and then people collapse in a heap afterwards.

IMO, the only time you can ever reach this point, is when you orgasm.

In the culture/tradition of the people who teach Art of Living, such a feeling can only happen between married couples. Perhaps I am being a little explicit here, but I see it as a way to experience euphoria (to a certain degree) without actually having sex.

Or perhaps I am uncultured and naive.

If you love freediving you've probably outgrown most of that other stuff.

I mean, euphoria is fun and everything - but its also a state and no state exists without its immediate opposite. There is also the release from our usual conditioning, habits blah blah - which liberates tremendous energy resulting in a sort of 'high' - the problem is people become addicted to the release - and the technology that promotes it - when its not really about the release but about a much more profound sort of shift. Idreas Shah in his book, The Sufis, says the Sufic attitude toward Euphoric states is that dwelling on them is essentially a dissipation of potential. I would say such states can serve as portals, insofar as they are moments when the mechanics of identity are suspended, but the point of interest is the discreet continuum between states.

Last edited:
Just to add a bit to the topic: Iyengar has written excellent books on yoga and specifically pranayama. They are technical and detailed, with photos, and list the effects of every asana. His way of practicing yoga is different from Ashtanga, his asanas are static and pranayama is advised to be practiced under supervision and only after you have covered the basic asanas, whereas as far as I know in Ashtanga special breathing technique is incorporated from the beginning.

Iyengar's "Light on Yoga" can be a good start. I think it is available for a download somewhere on the web. There is also a chapter on pranayama in this book. It must be available for download on the web. If you were not able to find it..well,PM me;)

What are the recommended inhalation times for pranayama? This guy teaches us to inhale for 4 seconds, hold for 4 seconds, exhale for 6 seconds and hold for 2 before starting again. And also doing in in the phases of hands on hips, chest and then behind the neck.

Then we had to throw our hands in the air, while inhaling, and pull them down fast for exhaling. 3 sets of 20 for that… by which time, I notice people getting a bit light headed.

I am not practicing pranayamas yet,but it must be dependent on pranayama you are actually doing. For example ,according to Iyengar, in ujjayi pranayama (legs crossed, with feet on the hips, stretched hands with your palms up on your knees) you hold a breath after full inhalation for 1-2 seconds, than exhale for 2-3 seconds, pause for a second and then inhale again.
Hand manipulation is probably done to force your chest muscles move in right direction.dunno. have to ask gurus:)

Right, there are many types of pranayama - times, proportions and rythms depend on the practice. That is a good begining pattern and will emphasize relaxation - Sands. The arm movements help open the breathing spaces in the lungs.

Iyengar is very encyclopedic and thorough. The book is a good reference but can be overwhelming. Best to approach your teacher with an open mind, practice as taught and see what happens.

(FYI- Petoskey stones are on the agenda this summer - I have my agents hunting them)

Last edited:
Chris is right, so many schools of pranayama, depends what you want to do. I had to google Petoskey stones to see what relationship they had with pranayama :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT