• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Wood to use for first gun?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

aussieben

Apr 22, 2014
Hey everyone, so I'm deciding to go down that road of building my first wooden gun. First thing first is ofcoarse what wood to use.
From what I've read teak is the #1 to use but still can seem to source it anywhere. Any other alternatives in Australia to use.

Anybody tried Tasmanian oak?

Any tips and thoughts welcome :)

Teak is readily available in Aust at any good timber supplier (not at large general hardware outlets though). Iroko is also readily available as a substitute, but its not as nice or easy to work with. "Tassie oak " is just a generic term & could be from a few different species. Typically its heavy & dense, light in colour & blackens quickly when exposed to salt water. Still, one of its species is on the list of timbers I'd use in a laminate & it contrasts nicely with Iroko or teak in laminates.. Have you also considered huon pine? Huon is one of the best timbers for use in salt water & although on the soft side it's creamy colour nicely contrasts in a laminate. Some of my favourite guns are laminates of huon & Qld maple.

Cheers Sharkey

Thanks for all the info there sharky! I'll hopefully head down again to the timber yard this arvo and see what they have available :)

There is not doubt that teak is a great speargun wood but one of the reasons is because teak has a high natural oil content that repels water!
However, in my mind this is not really important anymore, perhaps 50 years ago a one piece teak supergun was the best option.
Now we have modern glues, coatings & laminate construction.
So if I want to build a very low profile lightweight gun I would use a light, buoyant wood, if I am going to build a 5 band 1.5m long bluewater gun I would look for a high mass less buoyant wood.
In conclusion most hard wood are good for purpose.

Reactions: aussieben
Yeah I'm more looking at building a 1m gun with single 18mm rubber. Only my first gun so wanna keep it pretty basic and in the next guns will be more adventitious.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT