• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Yet another thread about monofin suggestions!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

geeknerd

Feb 4, 2014
Hi guys, I'm new here so I'd just like to say a quick hello before I cut to the chase - so, hi, I'm Sally. Will probably do a more proper introduction soon, but as for right now...

I'm looking to buy a new monofin, my second one ever after the Finis Tempo I had, and I'm not sure what to get. I'm an aspiring freediver, but even though I am a "beginner" in a way, I still want something of good quality since I feel I have a good technique so a "training fin" isn't interesting, and I am planning on having my new fin for a couple of years. I had my eye on the Finis Competitor, but it seems they've stopped making it.

I'm looking for an "all round" monofin, basically - pretty quick and powerful, but not awfully uncomfortable or exhausting. Will be using it in pools, lakes and oceans, and I am prepared to pay about $300 for it, at most. Primarily looking to buy it from somewhere within the EU.

If you can't name a specific brand or model, I'd really appreciate some guidelines - stiffness? Foot pockets? and other stuff you think would be relevant to bring up.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Sally, and welcome! So, you've used a Tempo and are looking for an all-around fin. One of the questions to ask yourself has to do with comfort: how long do you intend to wear the fin at a time? and, what temperature will the water be? If you intend to do an hour or more sometimes, and sometimes water cold enough to need foot booties, it narrows your choices. Fins with fixed-size footpockets limit your options here. If it fits right without booties, it will be too tight with them and vice versa. The higher-end fins are over your price point in all probability, and their foot pockets are handmade and tricky at times to get just right. A decent recreational fin is the Waterways Nemo; has molded foot pockets with predictable sizes, though you still must choose a size. It's a very durable fin and attractive (to me, at least). It has no angle, so not as efficient as fins with angle. My recommendation would be to look at fins that use a cycling shoe as an interface, in part because you can adjust the shoes to use booties, or have a second pair in a bigger size for thick booties. Angle is available and sometimes adjustable. Currently there are a couple of choices, though not many within your price. My favorite at the moment is the 2014 Lunocet, which is reasonably priced IMO. If different temperatures don't matter much, and you have good ankle flexibility, you might do well with a Nemo. I think the Nemo is the best value in a lower priced conventional monofin; I have both it, a Glide, and a Lunocet. It's hard to go wrong with a basic Waterway Model 1, and it is reasonably priced as well. Probably the most common, oldest design still in use. As to stiffness, the Lunocet and DOLfin are adjustable hydrofoils, and the fiberglass or carbon fins I would recommend not starting with a super stiff one but something more forgiving to build technique. If you search for those names there is much good information on this forum, and even a few youtube videos to see how some of them work (though it depends largely on the technique of the user!) Good luck and keep us posted on how your selection process goes!

Hi Sally, and welcome! So, you've used a Tempo and are looking for an all-around fin. One of the questions to ask yourself has to do with comfort: how long do you intend to wear the fin at a time? and, what temperature will the water be? If you intend to do an hour or more sometimes, and sometimes water cold enough to need foot booties, it narrows your choices. Fins with fixed-size footpockets limit your options here. If it fits right without booties, it will be too tight with them and vice versa. The higher-end fins are over your price point in all probability, and their foot pockets are handmade and tricky at times to get just right. A decent recreational fin is the Waterways Nemo; has molded foot pockets with predictable sizes, though you still must choose a size. It's a very durable fin and attractive (to me, at least). It has no angle, so not as efficient as fins with angle. My recommendation would be to look at fins that use a cycling shoe as an interface, in part because you can adjust the shoes to use booties, or have a second pair in a bigger size for thick booties. Angle is available and sometimes adjustable. Currently there are a couple of choices, though not many within your price. My favorite at the moment is the 2014 Lunocet, which is reasonably priced IMO. If different temperatures don't matter much, and you have good ankle flexibility, you might do well with a Nemo. I think the Nemo is the best value in a lower priced conventional monofin; I have both it, a Glide, and a Lunocet. It's hard to go wrong with a basic Waterway Model 1, and it is reasonably priced as well. Probably the most common, oldest design still in use. As to stiffness, the Lunocet and DOLfin are adjustable hydrofoils, and the fiberglass or carbon fins I would recommend not starting with a super stiff one but something more forgiving to build technique. If you search for those names there is much good information on this forum, and even a few youtube videos to see how some of them work (though it depends largely on the technique of the user!) Good luck and keep us posted on how your selection process goes!

Hi, and thank you for the great reply! Now, as for the questions, the amount of time I wear the fin for will vary greatly, I'd imagine. Sometimes just a few minutes, but mostly I guess about an hour or so - although, that in turn depends on how comfortable the fin is, you know?

I intend to use the fin in pools (approx 27 degrees Celsius), in the ocean (approx 18-20 degrees Celsius), and in lakes (approx 20-23 degrees Celsius, so somewhere in that area, but I also intend to bring the fin with me on travels to more tropical places with warmer water). So the waters I will be using it in are pretty cold (like the lakes and oceans) but that's not something that's ever bothered me before, so I don't really need socks at all, it's just that I heard many people say that the Competitor absolutely chewed your feet up so you might need a sock, but now that I'm not going to buy that fin, if I find one with comfortable foot pockets then there won't be any need for socks or such.

I've heard that name flying around a lot on here, the Waterway Nemo. I've checked it out a little, and it seemed a bit... mediocre? Of course, durability is good, but I think that another very important question is if it's fun to use? I've heard some people say it's a bit tenacious and heavy-like.

I'm just really careful with which fin I go for since I want it to feel good and it's not a small amount of money for me so I want to get it right. Of course, I'll own more fins in my life, but that's no reason for you to not put effort into choosing the right one every time.

The Lunocet, on the other hand, I've done a bit of research on before, on both their old model and the 2014 one. The older one seemed pretty nice, but the new one... I don't know, it just feels like it's lost some of its power. People say it's very neat and sort of smooth in the water, but I don't think it seems very impressive. But that's just my first impression. I think I'd rather have an "ordinary" monofin, but I mean, I've never used the Lunocet so I wouldn't really know.

Again, thanks for the informative and helpful response. I will definitely keep the Nemo in mind and do some more research on it. I'd also like some more thoughts from the forum on that fin, and hopefully more suggestions. :)

I'm right now looking at a few fins alongside the Waterway Nemo, but these ones are all from Leaderfins: the flyer, carbon sport, the regular "sport" one, freediving advanced, freediving LF black, and the flyer carbon. I'm looking at these ones specifically simply because they seem decent and are in my price range, and you can buy them from within the European Union.

Does anyone have an opinion on any of these fins, or on Leaderfins at all? Help would be greatly appreciated, the sooner the better. Thanks guys!

I have not heard favorable reviews about leaderfins monofins.

Their bifins are another matter. Quite good.

Beware: Travel with a traditional monofin sucks.

I believe that the most recent Lunocet is better than previous iterations (although I have not used them) and I'm waiting for the Pro Flukes this week and expect another boost in performance.

For the $300, you cannot get a new hydrofoil or hyperfin type of monofin.

You can state your size and stiffness need on fora and search for a second hand hyperfin type monofin.

If you want something new, for less then $300, with most properties you're looking for, I think this may be your best choice: http://www.specialfins.com/eng_products.php?product_id=20
image.php

This fin has comfortable footpockets, quality blade, and (very important for gliding in freediving) a footpocket to blade angle* of about 15 degrees. It's a better choice then your Finnis competitor because of: Heel supporting full foot footpocket, and instead of 0 a 15 degree footpocket to blade angle. This will feel incomparably better then the heelless, non responsive plastic blade Finnis tempo.

Another option is the Waterway Nemo:
http://www.waterwayfins.com/index.p...4&keyword=nemo&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=4
photo:
Freediving_Nemo__4e14ab3728f0d.jpg

Same advantages as the specialfins, but with a smaller foot to blade angle, about 11 degrees. Read here from users. http://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/waterway-nemo-wing-seems-to-have-no-angle.95565/

About choosing blade stiffness.
The finnis has a small blade, which is nice because it allows to learn the technique without much muscle strength.
Hard blades are made for sprints, below these speeds they are like a plank and not efficient at all.
Soft blades make for the best starter fins, and if you have a good technique you can still swim 50m in 30-25s with them.
However for the Specialfins fin I recommend a 'medium' stiffness, because - if I recall correctly - a few people had broken soft blades. There are no problems with the medium blades.

Between companies, the perceived stiffness can also be different. It's due to foot-pocket type and angle, material choice, and blade stiffness itself. I believe the special fins mono's feel a bit softer then the equivalent waterway's. - can someone fill me in on this?

So to round this off I would either choose a Nemo soft, or a Specialfins Medium. I would prefer the Specialfins because it has more angle. The nice blue colour is a plus :)

* hyperfin angles are usually 25 to 30 degrees.

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. I've decided to order a medium stiffness WW Nemo tomorrow, as its traits and my interests seem to coincide, it ships from the E.U., it's in my price range and I've heard a lot of good things about it. But thanks for the great replies and for being so nice. :)

There's a GREAT video on YouTube called Whale Fantasia I believe and they largely use the same monofin as the one you have decided on.

Watch that about a hundred times... (I have).

That should pump you up in anticipating of getting it!!!

It's a beautifully done video.

Reactions: vali
There's a GREAT video on YouTube called Whale Fantasia I believe and they largely use the same monofin as the one you have decided on.

Watch that about a hundred times... (I have).

That should pump you up in anticipating of getting it!!!

It's a beautifully done video.

Wow, that really is something... Very, very beautiful. And whales are among the most magnificent animals I know. Hope I'll get to swim with them one day.

But if I get more excited about getting my fin, I think I might explode! Believe me, you needn't convince me more, haha.

Sorry, one more question; it says on the WW website that the Nemo should have room for 3mm socks, and it'd be convenient if I could buy those together with the fin, but WW only seems to have half socks, and full neoprene socks but it doesn't say how thick those are. Any advice?

The half-socks are likely just for the toes and the full socks are likely full length and come up the shin a bit. Not sure of their thickness.

I the water isn't too cold, I much prefer a "bootie" / ankle sock so that I can wear it in the pool / with just a swimsuit on without too much drag or having them "balloon" out on me.

I love the Argos 2mm bootie. Has a nice upper seal to further help keep water out and is VERY grippy.

Also, in case it is a little loose or you can kick out of it... Some "fat boy" fin keepers might work well with the Nemo bi-fin footpockets!?

You will enjoy the Nemo fin. I still have mine and use it from time to time. I used it exclusively for two years, swimming 4-5 times per week in the pool, lake, river, ocean even. It still looks and works great!

this is my mono...
I wear it with 3mm neoprene socks [2mm was better but I did not find 2 buy]
anytime I wear the mono without socks, I get wounds on my legs
my mono is a medium stiff wich I think is the best for me now :)

Attachments

• monofin.jpg
    monofin.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 134
You will enjoy the Nemo fin. I still have mine and use it from time to time. I used it exclusively for two years, swimming 4-5 times per week in the pool, lake, river, ocean even. It still looks and works great!

Thanks, I'm absolutely sure I will! :) From what I've seen, it looks like it requires a bit more bend in the knee since it has no angle and I've heard it takes a while to learn the technique with the Nemo, but I like having a goal to aim for and I'm sure we'll get along grand.

this is my mono...
I wear it with 3mm neoprene socks [2mm was better but I did not find 2 buy]
anytime I wear the mono without socks, I get wounds on my legs
my mono is a medium stiff wich I think is the best for me now :)

Very pretty fin. :)

Reactions: vali
For the $300, you cannot get a new hydrofoil or hyperfin type of monofin.

Looks like the regular Lunocet is now priced @ $299, with the Pro being $349.

This doesn't include shoes and they can be purchased separately at a minimum of $50 (up to $150... or more if you want to spend it) for something decent that will work.

Post some videos of you using the Nemo, once you get comfortable with it and maybe some can give you technique feedback.

This is a great community for things like that. You can make 3-5 yrs of pool progress in a year... All without having to pay for a dedicated coach (if you even have local access to one, that is).

Re: depth however, I strongly encourage a knowledgeable coach and a specific training regime.

Dive safe with a buddy and enjoy!

Reactions: vali and Kars
In completion of what Apneaddict said earlier, I really advice, if you want to go in CWT with monofin, not only with a freediving instructor and some [at least 2* freediver as safety], but also with some logistic [rope and buoyancy device]
Because this is to be your second monofin [as you said in the first post], I assume that you already know the swimming differences between mono and bi-fins, and you know that the recovery time at the surface with a mono can be harder than with bi-fins.
On the other side, with mono you can go deeper with less effort [at least this work for me :)]

In completion of what Apneaddict said earlier, I really advice, if you want to go in CWT with monofin, not only with a freediving instructor and some [at least 2* freediver as safety], but also with some logistic [rope and buoyancy device]
Because this is to be your second monofin [as you said in the first post], I assume that you already know the swimming differences between mono and bi-fins, and you know that the recovery time at the surface with a mono can be harder than with bi-fins.
On the other side, with mono you can go deeper with less effort [at least this work for me :)]

That all sounds great, but the thing you guys need to know is that I don't really have any plans to start training nor competing professionally and "seriously". I'd love some technique feedback on here eventually, but I'm not going to get a trainer or anything. Right now, I'm just going to focus on getting along with the Nemo, relaxing and having fun in the water. I'm going to drag myself down along the anchor line when I go boating with the family and work on my equalization and relaxation, but I'm going to make sure that my family keeps an eye on me, that there's someone with me in the water who knows what's going on, and that I don't push myself too far. I am, however, probably going to join a freediving club in about a year when I am of age.

ok
I did'n knew that you are under age
in that case our advices are more than necessary!
Have fun, but be sure that you know the risks :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT