• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

110 speargun choice

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

alctel

Jan 10, 2019
Hi there,

I quit my job and went sailing on my boat, and the last few months I've been spearfishing in the sea of cortez with my 75 seac sting, but this spring i'm sailing over to the south pacific. I've heard the water is clearer/fish are bigger, so most people use longer guns, so I've decided to go for a 110 gun.

Locally, there are three choices for 110 guns

Beuchat Hero
Beuchat Evil Marlin
Cressi Pacific

The cressi is the most expensive, followed by the hero, and then the evil marlin (almost 2000 pesos between the evil marlin and the pacfic).

Can anyone give me any advice on these guns? Anyone particularly like/hate one of them?

Thanks for any feedback!

I assume that you can not test the guns and this will be a blind buy.
Here is my thoughts.

Cressi Pacific's muzzle looks good. But it comes with a 7mil shaft and a gun with 28 mil barrel and 140cm 7mil shaft will be heavy in the water. If you are hunting in the blue, no problem; but in the reefs it will be annoying and hard on your wrist.
Furthermore, I just found this vid on youtube:

It is clear that the shaft is setting above the rail, curving upright, and in my experience that not good for accuracy.

For the MARLIN EVIL, the trigger is hard plastic; this will not be as crisp as a full SS mechanism, but it will not scratch the sear either.

About HERO, nice muzzle, nice handle, full SS mechanism. But there's a risk : the SS mechs, if not of quality materials, tend to got scratched and that will make the trigger pull unpredictable, ruining accuracy.

So...
I would dismissed the Cressi Pacific for being heavy in the water.
If you got skills and can properly polish a scratched SS trigger / sear, HERO is the choice.
But if you wanna play on the safe side, go for the MARLIN.

PS. 28mil alu barrel are not the most rigid ones; therefore, I would go for a 100cm instead of 110cm.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT