• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

11mm vs. 13mm? (Dry Muzzle, Same Outer Barrel Size)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I would go for the Sten 11 with 7mm spear. The 84 comes with a great 7mm tahitian shaft and power regulator. It's a bit more efficient and silent than the Sten 13. Upgraded with a dry barrel kit the gun will be able to do the job just great! 6 meter is a bit far to shoot at smaller fish though. So I agree it's better to work on your technic and silence and get as close as possible :)

Reactions: mikeles33
I would go for the Sten 11 with 7mm spear. The 84 comes with a great 7mm tahitian shaft and power regulator. It's a bit more efficient and silent than the Sten 13. Upgraded with a dry barrel kit the gun will be able to do the job just great! 6 meter is a bit far to shoot at smaller fish though. So I agree it's better to work on your technic and silence and get as close as possible :)

6 meters is the deepest dive i will do and wait any fish to aproach.! I just want a surely effective range of 3 meters long to hit the target.I dont know if the 70 cm will do the job or it i must go to the 84 which i know it hits at 3,5 meters for sure..I want a small gun but i dont know if the 70 will give me the power i want! Surely The 84 comes with a great 7mm tahitian shaft which is a ++.I dont have an idea if cressi sl or salvimar predator are a good choise instead sten 11..

Also consider how the gun balances under water as some of the shorter guns can be muzzle heavy !

Reactions: Jegwan
I second Foxfish. A cork ring or two (like the ones used for the handle on fishing rods) on the muzzle can help balance a shorter pneumatic.

The Salvimar Predathor Vuoto 75 could be your comprise as this is actually more than 5 cm longer than the Sten 70. It comes with dry barrel as well. I have never used or owned a Cressi but I'm sure they can do the job as well. The amount of makes for dry barrel kits available for Cressi might be less.

I really like the Stens, as they are the ones I have used with success and their grip fits my hand wearing gloves. Cheap, simple and spares available. Have one in each size from 45 to 130. A mix between old and new, 11 & 13 :)

So I would go for a Sten 11 in 84 and give it a dry barrel kit. I think you will find the Sten 70 a bit short/hard to aim with for longer shots.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikeles33
I second Foxfish. A cork ring or two (like the ones used for the handle on fishing rods) on the muzzle can help balance a shorter pneumatic.

The Salvimar Predathor Vuoto 75 could be your comprise as this is actually more than 5 cm longer than the Sten 70. It comes with dry barrel as well. I have never used or owned a Cressi but I'm sure they can do the job as well. The amount of makes for dry barrel kits available for Cressi might be less.

I really like the Stens, as they are the ones I have used with success and their grip fits my hand wearing gloves. Cheap, simple and spares available. Have one in each size from 45 to 130. A mix between old and new, 11 & 13 :)

So I would go for a Sten 11 in 84 and give it a dry barrel kit. I think you will find the Sten 70 a bit short/hard to aim with for longer shots.
Hello, what is the most viable kit for sten 11? thanks,

Thanks couldnt expect a better help!

Hello, what is the most viable kit for sten 11? thanks,

I have tried both tomba and Salvimar. I like both. You have to put the shaft in above the water with the muzzle down with the tomba (so the muzzle is clear of water) - this is no problem when you have done it a few times. The Salvimar can (I believe it shall) be loaded under water. I don't have any evidence of it, but it's my impression that the Tomba is the best and most reliable performer. But I have to say that I'm a bit coloured as the Tomba kit is made by a person I respect and admire.

And the Tomba line slider is my absolute favourite. I use it on almost all my Pneumatics no matter if they have the tomba kit or not. This only takes a 1-1,2 mm mono line or so - and that shoots so much better than the shooting line that comes with the gun. Again the thin line needs a little getting used to, but it's the way to go no matter what slider you use!

I have tried both tomba and Salvimar. I like both. You have to put the shaft in above the water with the muzzle down with the tomba (so the muzzle is clear of water) - this is no problem when you have done it a few times. The Salvimar can (I believe it shall) be loaded under water. I don't have any evidence of it, but it's my impression that the Tomba is the best and most reliable performer. But I have to say that I'm a bit coloured as the Tomba kit is made by a person I respect and admire.

And the Tomba line slider is my absolute favourite. I use it on almost all my Pneumatics no matter if they have the tomba kit or not. This only takes a 1-1,2 mm mono line or so - and that shoots so much better than the shooting line that comes with the gun. Again the thin line needs a little getting used to, but it's the way to go no matter what slider you use!
ok ! i use a 1.4 mm mono line in my pneumatics. I'm thinking of buying a sten 11 and put the salvimar kit because it is easier to get! thanks !!

Hi, I'm Nicolas from South of France (sorry for my english which is not very good).

I like very much the pneumatic spearguns, and specially the Mares sten. I have 2 sten 13 (84cm/100cm) and 1 hybride sten 13/seac hunter (120). But before, i had bands guns, mares sten 11, seac asso, mares Spark and i have tested other pneumatic models like cyrano, airbalete, or LG Manilu. I prefer the 13mm barrel with an 7 mm spear (for fishes from 0.5kg to 10 kg).

I agree with all what u said about the comparison between 11m and 13mm barrel. I would ad that 11mm barrel guns are lighter than the 13mm barrel. Even if with a dry kit the difference is less important, it really matters for the small guns which are very heavy to my point of view.

Moreover, wether is a 11 mm or 13mm barrel, magnetic line releaser (i'm not sure of the), is paramount to avoid hard trigger. I bought pelengas line releaser for all my sten for this reason.

In my situation, i think that the sten 13 mm 84cm with a 7mm spear (devoto or sigalub), a dry kit (salvimar in my case), a pelengas line releaser and pelengas slider, is most multipurposed gun i have. For this small gun, the neoprene sheath is not an option because of the original awful balance!
I confirm that you can reload the salvimar kit under water, even if, it's better when you reload the spear out of it.

When it comes to dry kit, can tell me more about the tomba Kit? We don't found it in France. I've already had/tested STC, LGsub or salvimar (and others like pelengas or UBL), but i don't know the tomba kit.

have a good day!

Reactions: Jegwan and foxfish
Hi, I'm Nicolas from South of France (sorry for my english which is not very good).

I like very much the pneumatic spearguns, and specially the Mares sten. I have 2 sten 13 (84cm/100cm) and 1 hybride sten 13/seac hunter (120). But before, i had bands guns, mares sten 11, seac asso, mares Spark and i have tested other pneumatic models like cyrano, airbalete, or LG Manilu. I prefer the 13mm barrel with an 7 mm spear (for fishes from 0.5kg to 10 kg).

I agree with all what u said about the comparison between 11m and 13mm barrel. I would ad that 11mm barrel guns are lighter than the 13mm barrel. Even if with a dry kit the difference is less important, it really matters for the small guns which are very heavy to my point of view.

Moreover, wether is a 11 mm or 13mm barrel, magnetic line releaser (i'm not sure of the), is paramount to avoid hard trigger. I bought pelengas line releaser for all my sten for this reason.

In my situation, i think that the sten 13 mm 84cm with a 7mm spear (devoto or sigalub), a dry kit (salvimar in my case), a pelengas line releaser and pelengas slider, is most multipurposed gun i have. For this small gun, the neoprene sheath is not an option because of the original awful balance!
I confirm that you can reload the salvimar kit under water, even if, it's better when you reload the spear out of it.

When it comes to dry kit, can tell me more about the tomba Kit? We don't found it in France. I've already had/tested STC, LGsub or salvimar (and others like pelengas or UBL), but i don't know the tomba kit.

have a good day!
Hi Nicolas, you can read about Tomba here https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/tomba-all-in-one-barrel-sealing.81791/page-47#post-968781

I make Tomba kits, "tromic" is my father , he started to improve Mamba kit , he made his version of vacuum kit and gave him name Tomba , for years I was machining kits "ala carte" , now I have CNC lathe so I make some of parts faster but still lot of work for only one person, if you have any questions you can ask in topic about Tomba kit or send me private message.
Marko

I use the magnetic line release from Pelengas as well :) It's great!
You can also change the diameter of the trigger pin to smaller (special kit) to get a smoother and easier trigger pull.

Jégwan

Those Pelengas kits look great! Not seeing the trigger kits though...
Just wondering which one you chose for your Sten?
Seems the shorter threaded shaft version would be more suitable for the Sten's threaded valve collar vs the more deeply recessed Cyrano?

This one is labelled Evo
https://speargun.shop/spearfishing-speargun-accessories/spearfishing-speargun-accessories-line-linerelieser/ Spearguns Magnetic Passive Linerelizor For Mares EVO Omer Cressi Saett

This one supposedly fits the Mini Sten
https://speargun.shop/spearfishing-speargun-accessories/spearfishing-speargun-accessories-line-linerelieser/Spearguns Magnetic Passive Linerelizor For Mares Cyrano

Seems the shorter threaded shaft version would be more suitable for the Sten's threaded valve collar vs the more deeply recessed Cyrano?

The Cyrano fits the Stens. This is the one I use.
You only need to consider a trigger pin kit if you have an older Sten. The new 11 has a thinner trigger pin form the factory.
Member Zmajmr above might be able to make you a kit if needed.

Jégwan

This one is labelled Evo
https://speargun.shop/spearfishing-speargun-accessories/spearfishing-speargun-accessories-line-linerelieser/ Spearguns Magnetic Passive Linerelizor For Mares EVO Omer Cressi Saett

This one supposedly fits the Mini Sten
https://speargun.shop/spearfishing-speargun-accessories/spearfishing-speargun-accessories-line-linerelieser/Spearguns Magnetic Passive Linerelizor For Mares Cyrano

Hi,

In fact, i have 3 differents models of Pelengas release:
- the old model for Sten (cf. photo),
- the new model for Sten
- the model for Cyrano (it's the same like the sten model, but the metallic part is just a little smaller.

All of the 3 models fit.

The pelengas releaser rust, so i put varnish on the metallic parts to avoid it.

Attachments

• largue fil Pelengas.JPG
    largue fil Pelengas.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 275
  • largue fil pelengas 2.JPG
    largue fil pelengas 2.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 278
Happy to hear that you guys have had OK luck with your Palengas magnetic releases. Mine was a dud and the customer service likewise. While the release is not a bad idea and functioned well, the magnet split in half (from rust) after my first vacation using it on a gun. I took pics of it and sent it to Palengas which did offer a replacement with a future order. Perhaps they wanted to save money on shipping. (Personally, I think they should have apologized and dropped one in the mail to me right away, but they didn't).
While I did contemplate another order, e.g. a vac muzzle from them, I found another source for that. As for the line release, I made an active one on the gun in question a la the Predathor release so I no longer needed the Palengas.

The Cyrano fits the Stens. This is the one I use.
You only need to consider a trigger pin kit if you have an older Sten. The new 11 has a thinner trigger pin form the factory.
Member Zmajmr above might be able to make you a kit if needed.

Jégwan
Thanks Jegwan
I have an older Mares MediSten 70 Competiton (seemingly now re-released as the Jet) which would have the 3mm pin and seal.
So would the Sten 11 1.5mm pin and seal fit the older Sten? The new Jet still has the 3mm pin and seal.

First, I want to mention that to my experience, there can be no easy loading and a powerful shot. That goes for band guns and pneumatics. Its is just something one has to get used to.
Second, loading effort is calculated like so: 20 atm pressure is about 20.6 kilos per square centimeter. Lets say it is your gun pressure. That, multiplied to the area of the piston, results the loading effort.
So, 20,66*0.949=19,6kilos for 11mm barrel and 20,66*1,326=27.39kilos for 13mm barrel.
So the advantage for 13mm is great power at low pressure, and the gun is generaly not strained. So, add a dry barrel to that, and, wow!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT