• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

12 Ways to Calm a Rapid Heartbeat

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

trux

~~~~~
Dec 9, 2005
I found an interesting document describing how you can slow your heart rate without the use of drugs. Although its purpose is especially for handling tachycardia attacks, some of the tips are quite interesting and may be quite useful for us too. For example the "gentle massaging of the right carotid artery" sounds interesting and I am going to try it before the next training :)

The Doctors Book of Home Remedies Tachycardia

Reactions: DeepThought
Thanks for the warning Dr. Ed. I believe that you have a good reason for it, but it would be nice if you were little bit more werbose and told us more details.

I assume you're looking at ways to prolong breath-hold duration...?

If so, then having an anxiety-driven high heart rate before a dive, for example, is actually beneficial in reducing the (a-v)O2 diff, i.e., increasing venous O2 stores in preparation for diving, and thus prolonging breath-hold duration. All my best dives involve very high high rates immediately before diving followed by a dramatic plummet soon after submersion ...not so the other way.

The other thing, just because you can slow the heart down by carotid massage, it deosn't mean that this equates to a reduction in metabolic rate, through vasoconstriction, since the two can be uncoupled.

Seb

Yes, that makes sense if you have really fast and strong diving response. But if not, perhaps cheating yourself into the bradycardia faster just after starting the apnea may help. Yes, sure, probably it is better training your body to do it properly alone, than messing up the natural reflex with artificial stimulation. On the other hand, knowing such tricks may be handy in some exceptional situations.

The dive response is potentiated by (dis)stress. If the HR is high to begin, due to stress, it will correspondingly drop quickly also. Adding carotid massage during apnea, well thatmight be another thing all together now.

Seb

Sorry for the brevity; it was late. Also let me state; i'm not an MD (although i have watched them on TV :t ); i'm a PhD, and have academic training in physiology.

Carotid massauge or vagal stimulation to slow the heart rate can start a plumet from which you may not be able to easily reverse without meds. More importantly carotiod massauge may loosen plak deposits and cause a stroke.

Probably the Best way to slow your heart rate is to meditate; takes time but safest.

Shortcuts are often counterproductive.

Peace
ed

The dive response is potentiated by (dis)stress. If the HR is high to begin, due to stress, it will correspondingly drop quickly also.
Interesting, maybe that is why some freedivers perform better in competitions.

My HR is usually high - yesterday in a lecture in college we measured our HR, and mine was by far the highest at 120!

my idea th best drop HR below 50 is to get a very deep breath and exale while closing one of our nostril , when i do 2-3 times i can easily drop my HR to 45-49 bpm within 10 sec , my daily pulse is 55 -57 bpm, i know it is a very big problem for my body , i guess i will get some problem on my circulation sytem due to slow beating my heart and slow ratio of my pulse , many people says ...it will come after 50+ age :confused:
i caunt 7-8 beat in ten sec and i multiply with 6 (6x10=60sec) , it gives me true data by this formula :head

Sorry for the brevity; it was late. Also let me state; i'm not an MD (although i have watched them on TV :t ); i'm a PhD, and have academic training in physiology.

Carotid massauge or vagal stimulation to slow the heart rate can start a plumet from which you may not be able to easily reverse without meds. More importantly carotiod massauge may loosen plak deposits and cause a stroke.

Probably the Best way to slow your heart rate is to meditate; takes time but safest.

Shortcuts are often counterproductive.

Peace
ed

Thanks for the link trux .. a good one . :)

dr.ed, I thought also that in case of Carotid massage the person is adviced not to do a sudden move right after the massage (such as a stand up from the seat) otherwise he/she may faint, am I right? in that case it might be risky with dynamics and deep diving simillar to hyberventilating trux!

I think that 11 out of those 12 ways are realy good for freedivers (just ommit the Carotid massage) .. what about the finger tips pressure against the closed eyes ? .. would that help dr. ?!

you can easly dirink and get K, Mg, Fe from a small bottle mineral water, 1 lt mineral water consist 108mg Mg 63mg K and 0.046 Fe ,
small bottle 1/2 lt will enough before daily dive
minaral water which cosist very little C02 is best or remove by shaking

Last edited:
Our body has very complex mechanizm, i think you sperfishing and asking when? if you get a strong meal at dinner , fish, rice and mineral water and more water and some sweet...
the proses works like this, your liver sentesis glokoz(sugar) to glogejen and store it in your liver,when needed sentesis from glogejen to glokoz to use it..it is smiliar like this , body store it and use it
it does not give you any idea how long you can stay in water, depends on your activity in water, depends on your metobolizm ,depends on water temparature, depends on your sleep well , depends on hundered parameters etc... if you have a good sense mechanizm you can easily know when to stop, i just give you where you get easily by natural way or you can also get from chemical ways(pills) but chemicals consist of toxic and reduce your liver performance for a while, liver throw away toxic from your body when you get natural way , your liver will be happy, too
my eng is bla bla, hope you get what i mean sory!rofl

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT