• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

1st Teak Speargun, Some questions for the experienced spearos

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

moeghali

Aug 8, 2015
hello for whoever will and might experience from this post.

Building my 1st teak 115 speargun, and confuaed a bit about some topics i hope someone experienced stumbles upon my post and throw some handful notes!!

1- buyonce, should i worry about it? or using teak will cancle this out?!!

2- its a 115-120 speargun that i might use 3 rubbers on for blue water shooting, so am worried about a recoil problem, what should i consider in building it to come out with a nice least recoil i can get.

3- if i want to use a 7mm shaft, how much should i curve the track? i want an open track and not a closed one. i usually see that the shafts semi sits in the track so this makes it 3.5 mm depth and wide?

thank you,
here are some pics
7b580f6b098f9eb93817287993a0b8a2.jpg

3437cbe1620c561c33eea1dbebd7a4c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not expert at all but just finish my first one
here some points I read from other thread and some I did

I read the recoil can be reduced if you use spear weight 1/4 the total gun weight without spear (need to verify) but using more rubbers I can't help in that
I did use a 8 mm or 5/16 in router bit to make the spear track for 7 mm spear deep of the track was 5 mm and diameter will be 5/16 in

I would try to get your piece of wood split into thin strips of about 15mm and glue them all together but turn every other strip over so the grain does not match.
Laminated the wood will be much stronger & less lightly to bend or warp over time.
I would buy some epoxy for the glue.

I suggest you make a rollergun they have the folowing advantages
1. No recoil
2. A 100cm rollergun has more power than a 150cm convetional gun.
3. the power is adjustable. It can be turned down for shooting around reefs and turned up for open water.
4. A shorter gun is more versitile . use a short spear with no overhang for cave shooting and one with 30cm overhang for open water.
I had a tripple rubber coventional gun and the recoil was so bad I missed a lot of shots. With my 100cm rollergun I consistently hit fish at up to 5 metres away.
I would recommed using a 5 to 6mm deep track to prevent shaft whip and sharkfins on your shaft so they protrude out of the track for easy loading.
I hope this helps. Good luck with the build.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT