• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

2011 AIDA NZ Depth Nationals

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

chrismar

Aug 15, 2007
AIDA New Zealand is happy to announce that our depth nationals will be taking place in the idyllic Lake Taupo again this year. Formed by one of the biggest volcanic eruption in history, Taupo is actually an enormous crater lake at an altitude of 350m above sea level. It's situated in the middle of the North Island of New Zealand and offers reasonably clear water and plenty of depth for freediving. We will be hosting three days of deep diving in the lake across all three competition depth disciplines for anyone who wishes to join us. The event, which will span from the 25th to the 27th of March, is a chance for freedivers of all levels to push themselves and find out what they're capable of. It's also a great opportunity to meet other divers and learn from each other. Competitors will have three days to complete dives in any of the three competition depth disciplines recognised by AIDA international: Constant weight with fins, free immersion and constant weight without fins, with the overall winner decided by the total across the three. The competition will be internationally ranked, but will not have world record status.

Competitors will also have a chance to enter the recreational grade if they wish, which relaxes the more complex rules and lets those that haven't competed before just dive. Competitors in the recreation grade will not gain an international ranking, but will compete in the same disciplines for bragging rights and prizes.

All divers in the competition grade will have to be members of a national AIDA and all competitors must have a current medical certificate of non-contradiction of freediving. The competition grade will cost NZ$130 and recreational grade NZ$75, which give competitors three days and three dives in whatever discipline they wish to compete in. If you would like to register your interest, you can do so on this form. If you'd like further information, please contact me at chris@lazyseal.co.nz or ask below. We would love to have some international competitors and we'd be happy where we can - just get in touch.

See you all in the water!

The key information:
Dates: 25-27 March
Price: NZ$130
Rec Grade: NZ$75
Depth limit: None (weather dependent)

I just added it to the apnea.cz competition calendar. Not too important, but I have a question: I use to group competitions organized anually into the same group, so that the previous ones can be then linked from the result page. Should this one be grouped together with the Apnea at Altitude series, usually organized at the same time, or did you decide abandoning that name and tradition? Or is the NZ Nationals just an alternative name for Apnea at Altitude '11?

Thanks Trux. It's a bit of both, really. It's more of a replacement for Apnea at Altitude, but it would probably make sense to link them.

Care to join us? It's just a quick flight (or five) away...

Hi everyone. Results for day one of the Taupo Depth Nationals in New Zealand have been posted on the AIDA New Zealand website. Results can be found here.

All in all it was a fantastic day. Some PB's were reached, some not, some DQ's. We've also had a fantastic mix of nationalities with entrants from Canada, New Zealand, Australia, France, the UK and the Philippines.

I'll update some more tomorrow after the second day.

Cheers!!

Wade

Only two non-recreational competitors in NZ nationals?! What happened?

It has been organisationally difficult. Guy Brew had to judge instead of compete due to a lack of judges, Dave was away training in warm water, Kerian injured himself a while back and had a lot of other things on his plate and for many others the timing, distance and cost became a factor. Bear in mind though that all of those internationals currently live in NZ, with only Romain being a temporary resident. In fact I wasn't born in NZ either for that matter and could have competed as a South African!

Lake Taupo can also be a difficult place to dive, as you can see in the results :(

Hi everyone,
Sorry for the delay in posting. Lack of internet at home at present is proving to be a real pain.

Full points results are up on the AIDA NZ site as of yesterday.

Despite the difficulties that many of the divers had, there were some notable dives made by many of the participants with new PB's being achieved by both the rec graders and AIDA entrants.

Weather on the last day was brilliant and even allowed some time for exploration around one of the cliffs on the lake.

Thanks to everyone for their time, support and effort!!

Cheers!!

Wade

Please don't forget sending the results to AIDA (and to me) if you want them included in the ranking. Unfortunately, I can't do much with the screenshots you posted on your website. Please do not send any PDF's. I need a spreadsheet file.

Please do because I am automating the data collection more and more, and the algorithms will respect the AIDA rules about ranking literally. Among others it means competition that do not come in the required format to the address calendar AT aida-international.com within 14 days after the end of the competition will not be included in the official AIDA Int. ranking, and they will only be listed in the unofficial ranking at apnea.cz

Temp was fine on the surface (19), but at 28-29m it dropped sharply. We don't have an accurate measure this time, but previous measurements that Dave did put the temp in single digits. I found it very difficult to relax my chest and keep a mouthfill going through the thermocline.

Trux, I shall strike him sharply once more.

Hi Trux,
I do believe that you should have the results as of 3 days ago.

@Unclejake - Yes, Phil has been know to take some great photos. More of his work can be seen on the Auckland Freediving Club website in the Gallery Section. His photos stick out like dogs nuts compared to the others.

The background on my own website is courtesy of Phil.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT