• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

2mm vs 3mm Wetsuits

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

arnau

Apr 22, 2018
Hi,

This is my first post, so maybe I should introduce myself: I'm Arnaud, 32. I have been living on a small island near Okinawa for almost 3 years and I have been doing spearfishing for almost 2 years rather intensively and I really enjoy it! Feel free to get in touch if you happen to come or live nearby! ;-)

I have a question regarding wetsuits. After using Beuchat and Salvimar wetsuits open cells wetsuits which never fit me properly, I have decided to go custom-made and order at Elios. As everybody knows, the number of choices available is a little overwhelming ;-). Anyway, I have finally decided to take a 3mm Yamamoto 45 cell inside and Nylon superstretch outside.

What I'm hesitating now is whether to order also a 2mm jacket only (and wear a rashguard as pants) for summer when spearfishing for 4 to 5 hours, or if wearing the 3mm Yamamoto 45 jacket only without hood (and thus order it with detached hood, instead of incorporated as I initially planned) would not make such a difference warmth-wise?

According to Elios, the difference warmth-wise between the 2mm and 3mm is quite noticeable so they said it's worth it, but I would like to have some feedbacks from people having both 2mm and 3mm wetsuits?

Thanks!

Hi,

This is my first post, so maybe I should introduce myself: I'm Arnaud, 32. I have been living on a small island near Okinawa for almost 3 years and I have been doing spearfishing for almost 2 years rather intensively and I really enjoy it! Feel free to get in touch if you happen to come or live nearby! ;-)

I have a question regarding wetsuits. After using Beuchat and Salvimar wetsuits open cells wetsuits which never fit me properly, I have decided to go custom-made and order at Elios. As everybody knows, the number of choices available is a little overwhelming ;-). Anyway, I have finally decided to take a 3mm Yamamoto 45 cell inside and Nylon superstretch outside.

What I'm hesitating now is whether to order also a 2mm jacket only (and wear a rashguard as pants) for summer when spearfishing for 4 to 5 hours, or if wearing the 3mm Yamamoto 45 jacket only without hood (and thus order it with detached hood, instead of incorporated as I initially planned) would not make such a difference warmth-wise?

According to Elios, the difference warmth-wise between the 2mm and 3mm is quite noticeable so they said it's worth it, but I would like to have some feedbacks from people having both 2mm and 3mm wetsuits?

Thanks!
Your question is a little complicated, what are the water temps like where you dive? For myself I would never consider buying a suit top without an attached hood. I have spent long periods diving in 80 degrees plus water wearing just the top with a hood, then as it cools down adding the pants, and if it really cools down going up in suit thickness.

Absolutely, get the attached hood. Its easy to simply slip it off if its too hot and far better to have it if you want it. Increased drag is minimal in a spearfishing situation.

Get hood incorporated 3 mm suit... if you get too hot all you have to do is pull onto the jackets edge and flush some colder water inside your suit... the only way to get warmer in a 2 mm suit would be to get out of the water :)

I freedive and scuba dive here in the Philippines and the water temps are between 80 and 83 degrees. I Dive with a one piece 1 mm and no hood on scuba. When I freedive I wear a mako two piece rash guard with no hood the water temps here aren’t cold to me to wear anything thicker. Some guys wear a Lycra instead.

Hi arnaud, which island? Im in tokashiki and got no help on where to dive. Every local told me its illegal to spearfish with my sling unless i am a Japanese fisherman. We actually want to leave asap so at least i can shoot 1 fish and cook it for my birthday. I came all the way from east coast and i haven't really gotten a taste yet. We want to go back to okinawa where laws may be more laxed. What are your thoughts? I have all my gear. Thanks.

Andrew
andrew00lee@gmail.com

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT