• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

2nd hand RA Sparid 110 cm, Al railgun -is it worth it?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

valdim

Jul 23, 2019
Hi guys,
Recently I noticed somebody selling the above gun at a price 3 times lower , compared to a new RA. It is stuffed with unknown brand 16mm band and 8 mm spear...I am looking for a long gun for the clear waters of the Greek islands, to shoot small to middle grade pray.
So, what do you think - is it worth it to buy this gun ? If I do it, I would change the band with an original RA blue 16 mm band. What RA spear to choose to change the old one - 6.3, 6.6 mm? Should I include in the bill a reel? Anything else to add?
Anything to pay attention, when viewing the speargun ?
Thanks for your opinions.

Reactions: Mr. X
I would recommend a 6.6 shaft. 8 mm is way too thick. Leave the bands it has and try it before changing them.

Reactions: Mr. X
Thank you, marco15499.

"A bad day spearfishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work" absolutely lovely and true.

Reactions: marco15499
Yes, I would get it. You could add a second 16mm band to better suit the 8mm spear (I think RA fit a 7.5mm on the double-band version of the Sparid, which is called the Tuna model.

The Sparid is normally equipped with a 6.6mm spear and single 16mm band and it's a combination that worked well for me. I tried using a 20mm band but didn't like it.
7mm spear would likely work ok too.

I use factory 6.3mm spears in my superlightweight Omer XXVs but they are quite skinny and flimsy, 6.6mm would be a much better choice I think, or bigger if you expect to use more bands (e.g. 7mm for 1x20mm or 2x14mm; 7.5mm for 2x16mm) or a roller muzzle upgrade (which can supposedly upgrade a 110cm RA to 140cm-like power - rather excessive for most but essential for some).

I wouldn't worry about the brand or colour of the bands. RA buy theirs from the USA. The bands on my Sparid came factory-equipped with black bands, I think the core was white.

Reactions: valdim
I have not used a reel, never needed one, but they they seem popular in the med. Perhaps a good idea if you need dealing with fairly big fish and deepwater? For really big fish I would go with a breakaway-rig and float system.

Reactions: valdim
Mr.X, thanks for the detailed opinion.
I missed that gun, somebody bought it before I react.
Anyway...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT