• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

3-D Printed Stainless for Customizing Guns

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Tin Man

Jun 27, 2006
Here's something that I had been meaning to try for a while, because I thought it might be a cool way to add a personal touch to a gun. 3-D printing is getting more and more popular, and if you have any ability to draw in one of the many 3-D drafting programs (some are free), you can create 3-D objects from a variety of plastics, and even stainless steel.

I had this piece made at www.Ponoko.com, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It's 3-1/4" long, by 1/2" wide, by 1/8" thick, so it should be an easy size to inset into a wooden gun using a router. From the reading that I have done, I think that it will probably discolor some, but it shouldn't really corrode to any significant degree. It will be a while before I dive with it, so I'm going to soak it in some saltwater for a week or so and see what happens.

I have also done a few 3-D projects through www.Shapeways.com and was happy with them as well.

That is really cool. The possibilitys are endless with 3D printing. Imagin if you can 3D printing a whole speargun from trigger mech in steal to the handle and body in a combination of plastics designed with spaces for reinforcement... Endless

Diddavetellyou

Have drybag will travel

Nuts. I guess I know another way not to make a light bulb. This is what I got after three days of alternatively soaking in saltwater and air drying. The concept might still work, but it would need to be well sealed.

Reactions: Jegwan
Thanks a lot for sharing info and test. Have you tried the quality of the 3D aluminium?
Jegwan

I looked under materials catalog on your ponoko.com link
Jegwan

The aluminum is available for laser cutting at Ponoko, but they can't 3-D print it.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…