• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

3-D Printed Stainless for Customizing Guns

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Tin Man

Jun 27, 2006
Here's something that I had been meaning to try for a while, because I thought it might be a cool way to add a personal touch to a gun. 3-D printing is getting more and more popular, and if you have any ability to draw in one of the many 3-D drafting programs (some are free), you can create 3-D objects from a variety of plastics, and even stainless steel.

I had this piece made at www.Ponoko.com, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It's 3-1/4" long, by 1/2" wide, by 1/8" thick, so it should be an easy size to inset into a wooden gun using a router. From the reading that I have done, I think that it will probably discolor some, but it shouldn't really corrode to any significant degree. It will be a while before I dive with it, so I'm going to soak it in some saltwater for a week or so and see what happens.

I have also done a few 3-D projects through www.Shapeways.com and was happy with them as well.

Label-1.jpg

That is really cool. The possibilitys are endless with 3D printing. Imagin if you can 3D printing a whole speargun from trigger mech in steal to the handle and body in a combination of plastics designed with spaces for reinforcement... Endless

Diddavetellyou

Have drybag will travel

Nuts. I guess I know another way not to make a light bulb. This is what I got after three days of alternatively soaking in saltwater and air drying. The concept might still work, but it would need to be well sealed.

DSCN0405.jpg

Reactions: Jegwan
Thanks a lot for sharing info and test. Have you tried the quality of the 3D aluminium?
Jegwan

I looked under materials catalog on your ponoko.com link
Jegwan

The aluminum is available for laser cutting at Ponoko, but they can't 3-D print it.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT