• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

30 Liter float

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

irtrogdor

Oct 27, 2007
How big of a fish could you shoot with a 30 liter float that is air filled?

Dude, shoot it with a spear.

Really, that sounds like one big fat freak of a float. I have friends that could curl up and nap in that sucker. Maybe akin to tying your breakaway to the boat. Well, that's an exaggeration, But maybe you could explain a bit more about the 30 liter's intended application...BIGEYE incoming?

Reactions: ILDiver
i dont think its just about the float volume, but rather the combination of that with the length of float line, i heard from experienced Big Game spearos ( i think it might have been miles actually, not sure) that you can use an 11 liter float with a 30 - 40 meter rope to land just about any fish...

Ive had 15kg kingfish take down a Ronstan. Which has 10kg of lift but I don't know how many litres they are. P.S we spell litres different in New Zealand. One day I'm going to get all the different floats and give them all the weight treatmant like here.

I use an old lifeguard rescue float filled with foam AND a big round god aweful heavy duty vinyl infatable military orange thing...but it's strong. :martialI'll post pics after our trip to Port Aransas 7/28-29

Last edited:
That's one hell of a float!!! I'm not sure how much total lift this guy has off hand.....but, you can use Archimedes and determine how much water it displays submerged to give you total lift capacity. Then factor in each atmoshphere (every 33 fsw) for density and hydrostatic pressure (the total weight of the water column). Nonetheless, I am going to go out on a limb and agree with Octpora that you should definately shoot the fish with a spear!! All kidding aside 30 liters is alot of volume if you're not hunting tuna or the like you would be fine with a 12 liter. You still have control of the the float line and you're on the surface providing lift and resistance to the fish as well. 30 liters seems a bit much.
DeepSeaSki

Thanks, I was just wondering because my dad has an old boat fender that is 30 liters. i figured I might buy some canned insulation foam and fill it up for blue water.

It'll take 3 cans at least and do it in 2 stages. I learned that from my rescue float.:blackeye

sweet, i thought it might take more. About how much is it for a can where you live?

About $6 US for decent stuff. The $4 can is inferior and the $12 does not work any better for the buck. Any good hardware store or chain like Home Depot has it too.

Canned spray foam is good, try "Great Stuff". It sprays out like shaving cream and adheres like an epoxy. When it hardens it's yellow/orange. This stuff works great for salvage operations to fill voids in patches. It maintains it floatability and doesn't break down easily. You'll get a couple good years out of this stuff before you have to tear it out or get a new float.
DeepSeaSki

I agree. I even used it to hold together rock for an ornimental fountain. Been there for 8 years still holding strong. However the places exposed to UV (sunlight) break down. On my float I drilled three 1/4 " entry holes (just larger than the fill tube from the foam). Don't try to fill too fast as the foam must puff up & it degasses the propellant. Also wear food service/surgical gloves and lay down cardboard where you are working. Once foam is on skin you wear it off in about a week or work real hard with baby oil/wd-40. Easier to avoid getting on skin. Also any surface will get gummed up hence the cardboard. PS Peeling foam off of arm/leg is somewhat painful since all the hair in that area tends to peel off too! :waterwork

Last edited:
I've heard of 2 x 11litre solid RA floats being used to spear big fish (presumably with thick bungee & possibly a break-away joey pouch in between). So 30 litres sounds in the ball park. Filling will make a difference as non-solid floats can collapse when pulled to depth. I imagine it would be large, heavy & awkward to carry but as your Pa has a boat, perhaps that is not an issue.

I use leftover rescue bouys, I figure why not have something to hang on to when needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
Mine's just like that-redish orange. Really rugged. If I miss with the gun I can brain the fish with it. I also have the large round (ugly) vinyl inflatable if going for something really big & use them in tandem. But like Slingshaft I prefer the handles. :martial

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT