• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

38lb Red Snaper, C.R...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ebusso

Oct 16, 2002
Great story:

I was in the water a little before 6 am. I had prepped, all my gear the night before, and for some reason put new slings and a razor sharp point to my spear... usually I use a round "rock" point to work around the reef.

On my 3rd or 4th descent, shallow 5 to 7 mts, between two rock formations this big Red Snapper appeared, I just hung tight till it got in range.. and ... as soon as it got hit it ran and jerked the speargun from my had, I was not ready for that type of firm pull, anyways I had the gun attached to my float (buggy-board), but the fish stopped and when I "reeled" in there was nothing at the other end,with a visibility of about 2 to 3 meters, I could not guess where the fish went!!!.

I was calm and resignated... kept hunting for another hour and a half, and MIRACLE... the beast was parylized, I later realized I had hit it's spinal column... The rest is history... 1 meter long, 17.2 kilos.....

Last edited:
At the bottom of the message form there is a section called "attach file". Click the "Browse" button and locate the file on your computer. easy as pie!

Now attach the picture! I want to see this fish!!

Willer

That is a nice snapper...is it the same red snapper that is common here along the northern gulf of mexico? If so that is definately a nice one! The Louisiana spearfishing record for red snapper is 54 lbs!!!Never seen on close to that but I guess thats why it is a record;)

hi

Common name for 30 different species WOW, thats a lot of different fish for the same name.

cheers

Hey guys:

I found out 3 things.. First the picture came out huge, can't seem to reduce it, any ideas, it is a huge file.

Second if you post a message (thread) you can attach the picture only the first time around.. you can't attach later while you are editing... and

yes it is the family Lutjanidae genus Lutjanus species colorado, taken in the Pacific coast of Costa Rica

Hey, excuse the Speedos, ha, ha, ha...

Attachments

• parguito.jpg
    parguito.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 440
Reactions: Amphibious
ESTE TABERNAC!!!

If you're ever in Canada I'll buy you a beer! NICE FISH

Willer

Now thats why I want to get over to Costa to do some spearing. Great fish Ebusso. Congrats.
Jay

Rig,
Your right that its color is not a red snapper, but it doesn’t look to me to have the big cannie teeth of a cubera. I think its another kind snapper.

From the picture, it does have a couple of teeth in the front upper mouth, that are larger than the rest of its teeth, but the cubera I seen have a pair of huge teeth (about 1 ½”) and there are pockets in the lower jaw they fit into when the mouth is closed. Of course I am basing my opinion totally on the size of its two fang front teeth. Its teeth may just not have developed as much.

I know that snapper identification can sometimes be so difficult that even marine biologist will argue about it.

Ebusso, if it happened to be another type of snapper such as a Mahogany , you might of had a world record. Check out the world records on http://www.freediver.net/iusa/records.php. I keep a camera and one of the entry forms in my dry box just incase I get that magical fish. I also know what bait & tackle shops in my port have certified scales.
Don

Yeah snappers are tricky...the only way to externally diferentiate a small cubera from a large mangrove is by the shape of a patch of teeth on the roof of the mouth. NOT the canines but molar like teeth inside the mouth

I do know this much...I bet that fish sure swam fine in Lake Crisco
rofl

I’m sure your right about its swim in lake Crisco. Here’s a 22.7 lbs red snapper my wife caught. It tasted good, but actually it wasn’t quite as good as the smaller ones. The flesh looked like ribs with dark red lines near the rib bones. The meat was noticeable tougher than the smaller snappers. It made nice fried fish sticks though. I cut some into large French fry size sticks and fried them with batter. Yum!

Last edited by a moderator:
The throat alone is a two person meal one snappers like that...

ate my last bag of fillets last night but I have a freezer full of snapper throats left and deer season just started so...no complaints:D

try eating the head!

Rig,
Have you ever tried the head? It’s a Filipino favorite. They boil it or bake it. There is a lot meat on the head, all around the eyes, but it’s too hard to get at until it’s cooked. Then its very tender and great tasting. You just dig it out with your fingers.

I threw the head of tuna we caught in the freezer, because I was too tired to bury it that night. My wife works with 4 other Filipinas and when they heard about the head they came over and got. The next day they had a little feast at work. It fed all 5 of them and they still had meat left.
Don

PS The eyes are another Filipino favorite, but she hasn’t been able to get me to try it yet.

One of my best friends is Phillipino and the only thing his grandma can say in English is "Fish head soup!"rofl

You better be using those throats too!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT