• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

3G/TETRA - anyone come across it ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

portinfer

Aquatic shopper...
Jul 3, 2003
Hi
Heard recently that the 50ft mast that Wave Telecoms have planted in L'Islet Guernsey will not only be used for 3G communications but also for TETRA communications....

I am meant to be a software engineer so am excusing myself the ignorance of this technology - just wondering if anyone else had come across this in the various countries out there that you all come from.

I read this after a google trawl : http://www.starweave.com/ecologist/

And it seems quite damning to say the least.

I heard that the one in L'Islet is not to be the only one - I beleive that they are planting about 20 in Guernsey to give the island coverage.

Is video conferencing really needed on your mobile ?
Guernsey is about 9miles by 13 miles !

TETRA is a bit different by the sounds of it - mainly for use for secure and encrypted comms within the police force - alot of ormer rustlers must be quaking now that they can't tune into the police frequencies....

Quite a bargain by the sounds of it - not sure of the exact cost but in the millions. And I beleive no public debate ... is the police force part of the States of Guernsey ? Paid for by taxpayers ie the public ?

Wonder if the policemen and women who will be using it know what it does to you - and here is a quick quote from the article quoted :

"Having spent much of his working life in health and safety, Ian Dring, himself a scientist, monitored his brother’s condition. ‘As soon as he started using Tetra he got severe headaches. And the site of the tumour was where he mounted the handset.’ Neil Dring had none of the usual preconditions for oesophageal cancer: he was only 38, younger than the age group typically associated with it; he was a non-smoking, light-drinking triathlete with no stomach problems and whose diet was good. ‘To us,’ said Ian Dring, ‘that’s suspicious. And then another officer of similar age and equally healthy has been diagnosed with oesophageal cancer in the Leicester force and in the same place.’ Ian Dring quotes the American Cancer Society as saying that for a man under 40 without preconditions the incidence rate of this type of cancer would be one in 100,000, and that the chances of two people of the same profile in the same environment getting it simultaneously would be millions to one."

What worries me further is that Guernsey is densely populated so we will all be bathed in frequencies that have shown a potential for damage to human life. Animal life too - dolphins have to sleep at some point I reckon...

Looks like I may have to take up night diving as it affects your sleeping patterns too by all accounts - still might be cheaper than buying coffee.

Anyone got any opinions ?
Ed

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT