Friday, April 19, 2019
  • Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 40,000+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 496,000+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,300+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

3rd person view underwater - filming while diving

japppo

Jan 3, 2015
Finland
www.youtube.com
Hi all! Does anyone have experiences with a camera setup where you film yourself from the top or behind while diving? I would like the camera to film me from behind while swimming on the surface and from the top while diving straight down.

I have tried some float attachments, but the video footage has been shaky and out of alignment mostly.

I found this device that was designed for filming ice fishing. I added a mono line that I will attach to my weight belt. The top part will be attached to my float line and a normal inflatable float. This should be lightly buoyant and go down easily when I dive.

I'll test this on a pool very soon and maybe add a plastic fin to give a weather vane effect to keep it in the right direction.

Any ideas or suggestions? Or interest in seeing how this works?
Thanks.

Reactions: Mr. X

Tobias Bernhard

Mar 30, 2018
Fiji
I slip a pvc tube over the down line , attach a gopro with the standard gopro tube clamps and arm extensions and let it go either before me or bedind me depending on what angle I want. Makes nice and steady footage because the descent rate is constant and you can adjust the rate by adding or subsacting buoancy

Reactions: Mr. X

Davis

Aug 13, 2018
Sydney
Maybe if you ad some fins to it, it might make it a bit more stable, and eliminate spin. Who knows, give it a shot! Good luck.

OP
OP
japppo

japppo

Jan 3, 2015
Finland
www.youtube.com
Here's the first video:

This was without any stabilization, so there's much room for improvement. My expectations were not high, so I'm very happy with this result.
It looks like I'm a bait in the end of a line... Time to try it in the ocean.

Davis

Aug 13, 2018
Sydney
Here's the first video:

This was without any stabilization, so there's much room for improvement. My expectations were not high, so I'm very happy with this result.
It looks like I'm a bait in the end of a line... Time to try it in the ocean.
Looks great... just need some stabilising fins on it now!