• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

3rd person view underwater - filming while diving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

japppo

Jan 3, 2015
Hi all! Does anyone have experiences with a camera setup where you film yourself from the top or behind while diving? I would like the camera to film me from behind while swimming on the surface and from the top while diving straight down.

I have tried some float attachments, but the video footage has been shaky and out of alignment mostly.

I found this device that was designed for filming ice fishing. I added a mono line that I will attach to my weight belt. The top part will be attached to my float line and a normal inflatable float. This should be lightly buoyant and go down easily when I dive.

I'll test this on a pool very soon and maybe add a plastic fin to give a weather vane effect to keep it in the right direction.

Any ideas or suggestions? Or interest in seeing how this works?
Thanks.

Reactions: Mr. X
Paralenz offers it for their camera:

Reactions: Mr. X
I slip a pvc tube over the down line , attach a gopro with the standard gopro tube clamps and arm extensions and let it go either before me or bedind me depending on what angle I want. Makes nice and steady footage because the descent rate is constant and you can adjust the rate by adding or subsacting buoancy

Reactions: japppo and Mr. X
Maybe if you ad some fins to it, it might make it a bit more stable, and eliminate spin. Who knows, give it a shot! Good luck.

Reactions: japppo
Here's the first video:

This was without any stabilization, so there's much room for improvement. My expectations were not high, so I'm very happy with this result.
It looks like I'm a bait in the end of a line... Time to try it in the ocean.

Here's the first video:

This was without any stabilization, so there's much room for improvement. My expectations were not high, so I'm very happy with this result.
It looks like I'm a bait in the end of a line... Time to try it in the ocean.

Looks great... just need some stabilising fins on it now!

Reactions: japppo
I added the fin and kept the line shorter. The fin seems to work ok, but I should go back to the longer line probably. My next idea is to add a flat horizontal plate below the float. This would be to give the line more leverage in tight turns and help with the vertical orientation.

Attachments

• aquacam.jpg
    aquacam.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 181
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT