• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

5mm wetsuit

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

TOOmas

Aug 9, 2007
i am looking for a full body 5mm wetsuit for spearfishing. i am 6'2" and around 190lbs, i think that is around a 5 or an XL (i have not bought a wetsuit before so im not sure how the sizing varies from brand to brand)? my price range is 200 USD.
Thanks.

i am looking for a full body 5mm wetsuit for spearfishing. i am 6'2" and around 190lbs, i think that is around a 5 or an XL (i have not bought a wetsuit before so im not sure how the sizing varies from brand to brand)? my price range is 200 USD.
Thanks.
My suggestion: Order a bespoke ecoline spearo wetsuit from www.EliosSub.com in Italy with highwaist spearo pants & a loading pad (no other extras). It should just about be in budget - if not, the extra amount will be well worthwhile for a perfect fit. It will be both warm and hardwearing.

To get a perfect fit, follow the videos carefully to measure up. Take each measurement several times (left & right side of the body, morning/evening, hot/cold), discard any off-measurements & average the others. Note, the difference between left & right-side of the body can be an inch or more. The difference between hot & cold, evening/night can be significant too.

Allow time for the order - it's a handmade product and they get busy sometimes. Being in the USA, make sure you don't pay VAT (22% in Italy?). You might need to pay some US import duty upon receipt (probably less than the Italian VAT).

Last edited:
thanks for the infor Mr. X (you didnt happen to get that name from the nanny diaries did you :D).
ive looked around that site and will contact elios soon to check on prices. before i do though, may i ask why bespoke ecoline? i found some info on the elios site about ecoline but nothing mentiong bespoke... im sure its probably some really simple term and im just ignorant... but is bespoke ecoline inexpensive neoprene?

and is a "patch for arbalete" the same as a loading pad?

i have sent a PM to jimdoe and he gave me his views and some prices on some wetsuits, so if the elios prove too expensive then ill most likely go through him. a taylored wetsuit sure does sound nice though...

annnnd one last question, what is VAT? is it some sort of sales tax in italy?

so i sort of answered my own questions except for the bespoke... i went ahead and filled out "the form" so ill see what i get back.

bespoke - Definitions from Dictionary.com - custom-made for you.

Ecoline because it's their cheapest option (so most likely to be in your $200 budget - mine was but that was a couple of years ago) and it is good for spearing. Some of the fancier neoprenes offer advantages but mainly for people going deep for extended periods (SCUBA). Smooth skin looks good & dries quickly if you are getting onto a boat regularly -- but if you are fishing from shore around rocks, it gets damaged too easily [see SpearoMatts recent reports for confirmation of this]. Ecoline is nylon covered, so quite tough -- no need for extra knee & elbow pads. It is open-cell inside, so cheap, sticky & warm. You'll need lube (e.g. dilute hair conditioner or shampoo) to get it on but that's part of the experience & it sounds like most of the fancy linings still need/benefit from lube, no matter what the claims say. These are just personal thoughts & opinions, others will no doubt disagree on some points.

does anyone know how marea's suits compare to all the other custome made suits. in price and quality. i have looked into the dive skin website and like the suits alot but i want an extreamly good quality suit along the lines of beachat but i need it custome made due to my height and weight (6'5" and 180lbs) any info would be appreciated

"bespoke - Definitions from Dictionary.com - custom-made for you."

haha wow... i was actually on dictionary.com looking up other words i did not know from elios and didnt think to look for bespoke... i feel SO smart right now :p. thanks for clarifying some stuff Mr.X

amd if elios are too expensive those DiveSkins look perfect, thanks for the info foxfish

You mention JimDoe, he is a top notch guy. He makes me laugh so hard sometimes. He did a post comparing a couple of similar blue camo wetsuits that he bought from 2 different companies, one of which was Elios. You might want to have a search for his posts.

Foxfish's link appears to be US based, well within budget, custom made and camo. What more could you ask for!

Last edited:
Foxfish's link appears to be US based, well within budget, custom made and camo. What more could you ask for!

my thoughts exactly! w/ shipping it will cost around $230... which i am fine w/ as it will be custom. i should be ordering one this weekend :D:D:D

True except that Diveskin is not US based.

David

[Querying whois.PublicDomainRegistry.com]
[whois.PublicDomainRegistry.com]
Registration Service Provided By: ATOMIC DOMAIN REGISTRATION
Website: Atomic Hosting and Domain Registration, Cheap Affordable Web Hosting and Domain Registration

Domain Name: DIVESKIN.NET

Registrant:
diveskin
Spiros (spiros1k@acn.gr)
diveskin
diveskin
null,12345
GR
Tel. +044.447005801489

Creation Date: 09-Mar-2005
Expiration Date: 09-Mar-2009

Domain servers in listed order:
ns10.at-dns.com
ns11.at-dns.com

now how about quality? has anyone ordered a diveskin suit or has anyone worn a marea's suit preferably the sharkskin one. wanted to know how they felt and the price they payed.

thanks in advance

ive read reviews on diveskin and MOST of them seem to hold them in high regard. im very price oriented at the moment so a custom made suit for 190 USD was perfect. Im just a little nervous about my measurments... he is in greece so i need to make to get them right.

do a search under freediving equipment wetsuits; they helped me out a bunch in making a decision.

Does diveskin make their custom wetsuits in open cell material? How much approximately does a diveskin custom made suit cost.

Does diveskin make their custom wetsuits in open cell material? How much approximately does a diveskin custom made suit cost.

okay this is the third time ive written this because my internet hates me:head...

DiveSkin does have open cell material but they call it slickskin.

A custom made suit costs the same as one of the regular sizes from DiveSkin. Green Camo Abstract.; I'm getting this suit as 5mm, high waist, nylon exterior, open cell/slickskin interior, and it will be custom made. Costs me $189 US plus $38 for International Shipping. So a 5mm custom made suit comes out to be $227, which is just great by me!

You can also contact Spiros via email through the DiveSkin site. He usually answers within the day, if not 5 minutes :cool:

Hope this helps,
Thomas

Last edited:
Thomas,

Open cell is different than smoothskin (also known as slickskin). The new Cressi Tecnica wetsuits are made with slickskin interior, and I was going to carry them but I wasn't digging the exterior finish on them. I have also seen them on sale for as little as $200.

:)

oh... on DiveSkin it claims that slickskin is open cell...:confused:

"Available in 3 or 5mm with slickskin (open cell) interior and in 3 or 5mm with Nylon interior"

thats taken from the website, i also emailed Spiros about a week ago asking if 5mm was available in open cell and he said yes... i guess i just assumed slickskin was his name for it? now im really confused... my bad...

Hmmm, .....that is odd. It is probably a slight grammatical or contexual error based on the langauge gap.

Open cell is split neoprene and has the look and feel of a smooth sponge with micro pores. Slickskin is closed cell neoprene and has a shiny smooth finish. Many pure freediving suits are open cell inside with a slickskin exterior. A suit with slickskin interior will keep you warmer than a suit with a nylon interior, but not as warm as a suit with the open cell interior.

Here is a pick of a Yamamoto 45 freediving suit with the slickskin exterior.

:)

Attachments

• Suit Mundial Elite.jpg
    Suit Mundial Elite.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 203
Reactions: foxfish
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT