• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

6 stretches for freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
there really isn't a standard or main 6 stretches and will very a little from school to school, if u take a course they usually include a bunch in the manual, martin stepanek has a freediving stretch dvd and there is a routine in manual of free diving, most are yoga based when people say certain stretches are free dive specific i.e. diaphragm lungs ribcage those should be added to an overall body routine dont mistake them as stand alone fix its. Brittany Trubridge has a nice section on free dive prep on her page

http://www.brittanytrubridge.com/ॐ-freediving/

Reactions: ShallowGuy
there really isn't a standard or main 6 stretches and will very a little from school to school, if u take a course they usually include a bunch in the manual, martin stepanek has a freediving stretch dvd and there is a routine in manual of free diving, most are yoga based when people say certain stretches are free dive specific i.e. diaphragm lungs ribcage those should be added to an overall body routine dont mistake them as stand alone fix its. Brittany Trubridge has a nice section on free dive prep on her page

http://www.brittanytrubridge.com/ॐ-freediving/

Thank you for the link. And answer.

Bumping this old thread.

I do currently following stretches & exercises:

- cobra
- the ball exercise recommend by Aharon
- some simple leg stretches
- 2 of the ribcage stretches from Pelizzari's manual
- uddiyana bandha

I do them (almost) daily. Would you change/add something?

Thank you

There are basically 3 kinds of stretches those that are done very frequently for all over body flexibility .
Stretches that adapt one to a particular discipline and correct specific stiffness-es that inhibit one from achieving
good style .
And stretches that one does immediately prior to diving to prepare the body for the dive and prevent cramps.
To give you a better answer one would need much more information , your age ,your physical profile , your present state of flexibility , your preferred discipline - monofin or stero in CWT . And most importantly your aims and present performance level.
But failing that find a good teacher of Astanga Vinyasa Yoga or Iyengar and work hard a regularly .And good luck :)

There are basically 3 kinds of stretches those that are done very frequently for all over body flexibility .
Stretches that adapt one to a particular discipline and correct specific stiffness-es that inhibit one from achieving
good style .
And stretches that one does immediately prior to diving to prepare the body for the dive and prevent cramps.
To give you a better answer one would need much more information , your age ,your physical profile , your present state of flexibility , your preferred discipline - monofin or stero in CWT . And most importantly your aims and present performance level.
But failing that find a good teacher of Astanga Vinyasa Yoga or Iyengar and work hard a regularly .And good luck :)

Thank you very much for your answer.

I'm on beginner level, diving no more than 30m. Being in my early 30s I just want to avoid squeezes or any other unpleasant issues. I would like to slowly progress with depth in time but for now having no access to water I just want to do as much as possible to prepare myself.

Last edited:
If you don't know any experienced freediver or instructor that could show you some exercises, I would recommend you to buy the book "Breathing techniques for freediver" by Federico Mana. There is also a nice DVD by Martin Stepanek "Basic stretching for freediving". As far as chest flexibility is concerned there are two major types of stretches. The ones that are done on full inhale which will increase your lung volume and the ones that are done on full exhale which will decrease your residual volume. In the latter group Uddiyana Bandha is the most commonly used.

I increased my vital capacity by 1.5 liters after few months of regular stretching. I did 5 or 6 exercises shown in the Federico Mana's book. Now I'm also able to lay down on the bottom of a 3.8m deep pool on empty lungs without any discomfort. Before I started to stretch it felt like someone was sitting on my chest. You must be very careful with this exercise as it may cause lung squeeze and there is a high risk of BO (I never stay on the bottom for more than 30s). I was lucky that I wasn't squeezed at the first time. If you want to try it start no deeper than 2-2.5m and always have a buddy with you.

If you don't know any experienced freediver or instructor that could show you some exercises, I would recommend you to buy the book "Breathing techniques for freediver" by Federico Mana. There is also a nice DVD by Martin Stepanek "Basic stretching for freediving". As far as chest flexibility is concerned there are two major types of stretches. The ones that are done on full inhale which will increase your lung volume and the ones that are done on full exhale which will decrease your residual volume. In the latter group Uddiyana Bandha is the most commonly used.

I increased my vital capacity by 1.5 liters after few months of regular stretching. I did 5 or 6 exercises shown in the Federico Mana's book. Now I'm also able to lay down on the bottom of a 3.8m deep pool on empty lungs without any discomfort. Before I started to stretch it felt like someone was sitting on my chest. You must be very careful with this exercise as it may cause lung squeeze and there is a high risk of BO (I never stay on the bottom for more than 30s). I was lucky that I wasn't squeezed at the first time. If you want to try it start no deeper than 2-2.5m and always have a buddy with you.

Thanks Marcin.

I'm buying those right now, thanks for that.

As for stretches I do some of them already. I do Uddiyana Bandha daily, the ball one plus some general stretches. I would like to know all of the most important ones so I can add them to training - I guess DVD and book will help me a lot.

I attend swimming-pool with 3m deep end. Twice a week I do some simply empty lungs dives, with buddy that is. I feel my stretches already helping me. What I really want is to be always over rather than under-prepared for my dives.

I also introduced empty lung breath holds which I guess help a bit as well.

There is one important thing about Uddiyana Bandha. It is not only about sucking your belly up. You should also use your intercostal muscles. Ribs should move upward and to the side. This way the stretch is more effective and the difference is quite noticeable.

I would caution about doing reverse-packing uddiyana... As it can lead to squeezes.

It's not reverse packing. It's just the way it should be done (according to youtube videos where yoga masters demonstrate it)

Martin stepanik shows you how to safely do stretches in his video on free diving stretches.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT