• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

65kg amberjack in Turkey

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

osiris

Jul 27, 2009
gallery_1_11_244794.jpg

gallery_1_11_102545.jpg

Hi mates heres my story
Firstly, I want to introduce my diving partners who helped me much to take this huge fish out. The person next to me in the amberjack photo is LEVENT BİBER. And other one is FUAT KARDEŞLER.
That was an ordinary hunting day and we were looking for some sea bass in a low visibility, shallow water. From the beggining of the hunt . something was wrong. Sea basses weren’t answer my aspettos and they were very fast. After a while when I was falling to deep near a reef I saw the monster!!! He was swimming fastly and strongly with his dark blue back and fins..Suddenly the adrenalin level in my wessels increased and I reached the surface. I was talking to my self “ what was it? An amberjack? shark?” I swimed few meters and prepared my self. Took a deep breath and again I was falling.. I found a good place on the bottom and started to wait. After some noises from my throat and little stones in my hand suddenly this huge creatures head appeared just in front of my spear. I released the trigger and the war was begun…in few seconds he took out all my line in my 50mt reel. I held the line and started to water skiing...I shouted to sea side for some help.. in few minutes Levent and Fuat reached the battle field..after two additional shots to his back and brain we get the fish….that was a wonderful hunting day and a good experience for me ..good luck…

65kg AKYA ( Lokar Team ) - Hikaye eklendi - ZIPKIN AVI

Good Lord! What a monster. I think I'd hesitate.
Congrats!

Wonderful trophy !

Amazing catch. According to IBSRC (INTERNATIONAL BLUEWATER SPEARFISHING RECORD COMMUNITY) The world record for amberjack "Seriola dumerili is a 73.09kg (2003) in the Canary and the 2nd largest is a 65kg! So your catch is a real trophy.

IBSRC amberjack, Pacific, spearfishing record

However, according to IUSA (INTERNATIONAL UNDERWATER SPEARFISHING ASSOCIATION) world records, the largest amberjack "Seriola dumerili" is a 50kg catch from Lebanon in 2006. So yours could well be in that category...

IUSA World Records

I have shot here (in Qatar) some amberjacks in the 35-45kg range and I can tell you they are awesome fighter and their meat is tough and will hold the spear well (unlike king mackerels and wahoos).

Good luck and welcome again to deeperblue

Great catch well done.

How did it taste?

What gun did you use?

I would genuinely cry if I saw something like that underwater!

You're a brave man!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT