• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

7mm wetsuit suggestions for a tall and lanky guy

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

PNW_spearo

Sep 5, 2018
Hey Spearo's

I'm struggling to find a new wetsuit that fits my stats. I am a 6'4, 205lb and can't seem to find a brand that makes a suit that fits. They are either super short and fit through the body, or are hopelessly baggy throughout the body and proper length.

Does anyone have any recommendations for brands to take a look at?

Thanks

I’d go for a tailored one. I know there are a few companies that make very nice ones, but I never got one myself, so I leave the linking to the experts! :)

Full custom suit from Polosub out of Rome is the WAY TO GO!!
I got 5.5mm full suit and 3.5mm legs for ~$400 shipped to California with extras added like a pisset and all the pads.
You supply them with 21 measurements (that’s double the measurements Elios uses).

Once you put on a full custom suit you realize how thermally efficient they are. The first one I got was a 7.5 for Northern California and it’s way too hot. I can be in the water for 2.5 hours with the 5.5 top and 3.5 bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

...You supply them with 21 measurements (that’s double the measurements Elios uses).

Once you put on a full custom suit you realize how thermally efficient they are. The first one I got was a 7.5 for Northern California and it’s way too hot. I can be in the water for 2.5 hours with the 5.5 top and 3.5 bottom....
Yes a wetsuit can certainly be too hot. Spearo wetsuit with high or very high waist pants or long john pants and a hood tend to be much warmer than cheap surfing wetsuits. Where in the world are PNW_spearo, where do you expect to dive?

Taking lots of measurements is a good thing but my custom-made Elios suit has proven to be a great investment over the years and has been a great fit. I still use it. I would recommend:
(1) Take each measurement several times (ideally on different days and at different temperatures), discard any way-out measurements and average the rest.
(2) Ideally get somebody else to measure you.
(3) Measure arms and legs on both sides of the body (e.g. my right calf is 1" bigger than my left).

Elios has become expensive from the UK, Polosub too. UK spearos seem to be opting for a company in Greece in more recent years.
My Elios suit is made of their cheapest neoprene (Elios suggested it as more than adequate for spearos and I agree). I think it was called Ecoline. It is quite stiff and much less stretch than my new, off-the-shelf 5.5mm Mares wetsuit but it compresses less. I would say that, on balance, it is warmer than the thicker wetsuit, probably because it doesn't compress or stretch (stretching reduces the effective thickness) as much. BTW neoprene that compresses less readily is considered desirable for SCUBA suits where the diver stays down deeper for much longer than a breath-hold spearo.

BTW Most wetsuit companies publish size tables, I found them useful but not entirely reliable and you should be aware that a manufacturer may publish different tables for different wetsuit models (which may be made to different patterns and/or from different materials and/or in different factories). Looking at tables a while back, I got the impression that Omersub suits might suit smaller/skinnier folk better. For stockier folk, like me, Mares seemed to offer better sizing and tolerances (more stretch) - but, even then, I had to loose quite a bit of weight to make the size range. I believe I saw some brands selling some suit models in longer fittings - might be worth checking. Another option might be to buy pants in one size and jacket in another size - often a far more expensive way to buy though :( Beuchat make some nice wetsuits too. Rob Allen if you are in or near South Africa sell (and I think make) wetsuits - I bet they are good and roomy (South African's seem to be quite stocky, like me!) but not cheap from the UK these days.

A tailored suit is a better way to go I think though, esp. if you are not a typical "off the shelf" type of size/shape (e.g. lanky or stocky). ;)

Last edited:
PNW
I've got the same problem, being 6'3" and 165lb. I bought a suit on shops advice, a medium, fitted width wise but too short in arms n legs. Was going to go down the custom route but went for a punt on a Salvimar Wet Drop from dive.inn.
Large size fits me perfectly and is way long enough and half the price of custom. Long and narrow fitting suits compared to other brands.
I know it's maybe not polosub quality but good enough for me. Also look at Picasso suits from Portugal.

Reactions: Mr. X
At 6'1" and 150 lbs, my experiance with off the shelf suits is pretty poor. If you don't fit the standard sizes, a custom suit is much MUCH better, well worth the extra coin. Mine is an Elios. If you try them, the sizing process they go through will scare you to death, but it always seems to come out perfect.

Reactions: Mr. X
If I were tall & slim like you guys, I'd check
out the Omersub size charts. They certainly do slim, no sure about tall though (Italians often aren't).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT