• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

a "Blitz" for Lobster

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

acevedo joseph

Feb 25, 2006
Wanted to share a quick report with the Board , Last night a few of my fellow club members /“Los Pistolero‘s” talked me into sneaking a dive before the Chargers game , at first I wasn’t to exited to wake up at 3:55 am:hungover and Drive 105 miles:hungover to the Dive Spot , but even the worse day diving ,is better then a day on the couch !!

so off we went
When we arrived at 7am we found a Booming 6ft swell,:yack and Ocean Visibility of 1-2 ft Max :yack
But we Drove to far to turn back , so we went for it and got are limits by 10:15 am , and made it home in Time for the Kickoff :D

It was Very Nice having Lobster quesadilla’s for the game , it almost made the 210 mile round trip and early wake up call worth it:duh

Cheers ,,,Joe

Attachments

• Picture 171.jpg
    Picture 171.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 380
  • Picture 179.jpg
    Picture 179.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 390
Good effort = tasty lobster.
(although they haven't any claws so would be a crayfish where we live)

Those are some big looking crays. Assuming the USA. Do they get them West coast, California perhaps? Florida would have them being tropical but not sure how big. We'll have to wait for joe to tell us. I also wonder how deep they get them. Our almost identical cray is seldom found in less than 70ft.

dave.

Thanks for the Kind words guys , yes these Bugs were taken from Southern California , we get them in waters as shallow as 5 ft to around 50ft

Here in Southern California , are local Lobster go from 1-13lbs

Thanks again ,,,,,Joe

Those are some big looking crays. Assuming the USA. Do they get them West coast, California perhaps? Florida would have them being tropical but not sure how big. We'll have to wait for joe to tell us. I also wonder how deep they get them. Our almost identical cray is seldom found in less than 70ft.

dave.

Thanks Joe. They are almost identical to our cold water crayfish. Same size, colour shape etc. I don't think they are exactly the same species (5000+ miles and literally an ocean apart) but must be a very close relative.

Diving for them, both free and scuba, is banned here.

Back in the start of the last century (1900's) our crays were very abundant. Early photo's showed huge catches made using sailing boats working wooden pots (traps) hauled by hand and probably in shallow water.

By the 1960's and the start of scuba diving crays were already less common. Modern fishing techniques had taken their toll. Still there were commercial quantities to be had using scuba. Even in the early days freediving was ineffective as the crays had been fished out in the shallows.

Within 2 years pressure from the traditional pot fishermen had seen diving banned (too much competition). Since then despite the ban on diving the numbers have fallen. Modern mono nets though illegal for catching crays have been used along with all the pressure from a technologically advanced fishing fleet have desimated the stock. Incidently the demise of the crays is still often sited as having been caused by divers.

So ours is a sad tale but at least our brothers over the Atlantic can still enjoy catching them. I suppose there are bag limits and closed seasons from what I read in your posts Joe?

Local cray now costs £10/lb ($18/lb). I'll post a link on buying and eating one on the DB Guernsey summer fish in later. Here you go, bottom of this page. http://forums.deeperblue.com/spearo-board/80646-holiday-guernsey-2009-a-14.html .

Dave.

Last edited:
Hi Dave , thanks for the very informative post , that’s a real bummer about the cray’s in your waters L

Here in California we have a 5 1/2 Month Season Starting Oct - Mid March..

cheers ,,,,Joe

Thanks Joe. They are almost identical to our cold water crayfish. Same size, colour shape etc. I don't think they are exactly the same species (5000+ miles and literally an ocean apart) but must be a very close relative.

Diving for them, both free and scuba, is banned here.

Back in the start of the last century (1900's) our crays were very abundant. Early photo's showed huge catches made using sailing boats working wooden pots (traps) hauled by hand and probably in shallow water.

By the 1960's and the start of scuba diving crays were already less common. Modern fishing techniques had taken their toll. Still there were commercial quantities to be had using scuba. Even in the early days freediving was ineffective as the crays had been fished out in the shallows.

Within 2 years pressure from the traditional pot fishermen had seen diving banned (too much competition). Since then despite the ban on diving the numbers have fallen. Modern mono nets though illegal for catching crays have been used along with all the pressure from a technologically advanced fishing fleet have desimated the stock. Incidently the demise of the crays is still often sited as having been caused by divers.

So ours is a sad tale but at least our brothers over the Atlantic can still enjoy catching them. I suppose there are bag limits and closed seasons from what I read in your posts Joe?

Local cray now costs £10/lb ($18/lb). I'll post a link on buying and eating one on the DB Guernsey summer fish in later. Here you go, bottom of this page. http://forums.deeperblue.com/spearo-board/80646-holiday-guernsey-2009-a-14.html .

Dave.

Joe,

Is that Doug Jones in the Photo with Dave?

You ought to consider putting your reports in the CA section before they delete it for lack of use.

Hi Bill, the guy next to Dave is Lee Highat , he's a new diver but he got one hell of a head start !! and now he's really kicking ass

adios Joe

Joe,

Is that Doug Jones in the Photo with Dave?

You ought to consider putting your reports in the CA section before they delete it for lack of use.

We're actually getting reports of crays in the Gulf of Mexico off of Texas now. Kept very secret as to where but very far off shore. They're abundant off Florida but never heard much about Texas until recently. My motto: If it doesn't move fast enough--eat it. :martial

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT