• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

A Different Way To Know Cuba

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

pedro75

Dec 3, 2005
If you are interested in knowing Cuba of a different way, I invite you to visit our Web Site < http://bedincuba.e2uhosting.com >. In BedinCuba you will find one magnifies collection of more than 200 photos divided in thematic
In BedinCuba you can find an ample directory of private houses, with its descriptions, photos of the house and other useful information for lodging.
Accommodation in Private House could be one of the more interesting experiences that you may enjoy while you travel to Cuba, specially if you want to get to know from the first hand how Cubans live and think and how is the "Real Cuba"..
Cuba is an unusual country in many facts and the only way to get to know the true feeling of Cuba and its people, and obtain a deep knowledge of the Cuban society; is to maintain a regular interaction with Cubans, your hosts for example, and this you will achieve choosing to stay in this kind of private accommodation, casas particulares. We guarantee, that you will learn a lot about Cuba.

Haahh Pedro !
if i were a rich i would be there tomorrow :D , no money no fun!
Just imagine is also good the taste of cubain Cigar and Cuba Mate!
Meanwhile welcome on board Mate!

Bad experience? I had a great time and the people were wonderful. I'd definitely go again.

I had a great time in Cuba too - quite a few weeks exploring and hitching around and trying to improve my Spanish - good nights out, friendly people, awesome scenery.... great place :)
Ed

I really wish I could visit Cuba, but of course my government's insane policy keeps me from doing so so that politicians can curry favor with the Miami Cuban expatriots.

So my visits to Cuba have been limited to landing at Guantanamo Bay and flying over it in an RF-4B, taking photos of people who were very camera shy and in fact got downright upset about it.:)

I think I am right in saying that the US gov. has not allowed any money for the budget for prosecuting people for making trips from the US to Cuba ... so in effect saying "We are against you going but we won't/can't prosecute you...". I am not big on politics but I remember reading that somewhere - Bill, some people go from Mexico or Canada so it might not be as hard to go any more...

portinfer said:
I think I am right in saying that the US gov. has not allowed any money for the budget for prosecuting people for making trips from the US to Cuba ... so in effect saying "We are against you going but we won't/can't prosecute you...". I am not big on politics but I remember reading that somewhere - Bill, some people go from Mexico or Canada so it might not be as hard to go any more...
A few Americans go too, I read an article on a party of American artists (painters) that were given special permission to visit recently.

No specific bad experience, just general impression. And yes, people are nice (like everywhere else I have been).
It is just my opinion about value for money. This is my experience.

On average, meal will cost you about €10. Some of my friends are vegetarian. If you are, you'll be struggling...at the same price. :D There are big variations in quality between different places, but you'll still be expected to pay the same price.

Casa particulares, room will cost you from €20 in south (Playa Giron), €25 in Vinales area, up to €30 in Havana. It is very basic. Don't expect toilet seat, toilet paper, soap or enough water pressure in the shower. There are dodgy electrical instalations in showers...but considering it is 110V - you will live to tell the story. :D
And don't worry, most of that money won't go to those people. I was told that government takes 2/3 of what you pay to landlords. And if you happen to be in group of four or more...you cannot stay all in the same place. They'll split you in twos and send to different casas.
There are variations in quality between casas, but you'll still pay the same price.

Taxi in Havana will cost you about €1 per km.
T-shirt in Maria la Gorda will cost you €18. In Havana about €7.
Postcard is €0.50 and stamp for Europe is €0.75.

Scubies will have to pay €50 per dive. You cannot negotiate rate for freediver as (so I was told) "You cannot dive for free in Cuba" (Cayo Levisa, diving instructor). :D

Enterance to some beaches (Cayo Jutias) will cost you €5...and that is only enterance. Everything else you have to pay additionally.
Diving spots around Playa Giron are free (and you can do some deep diving as well). For some you have to pay €1, but you get toilet facilities, shower, shade and chairs.
Beaches east of Havana are free, but maybe not best for diving. If in Havana, you can try Marina Hemingway. About 200m out, you'll find reef drops down to 15m. It is very difficult to find weights for rental anywhere in Cuba. Your best bet would be to talk to local spearos. North coast water temperature in December was about 26C. South coast, surface water temperature was about 27C and few meters down 28C (temperature inversion, very pleasant phenomena :D).

I am not sure about spearing licence. I guess officially you would need one. Spearfishing seems to be one of the few things that government does not fully control.

Any card transaction will cost you 12% of total sum. If it is american card or you are exchanging $, it'll cost you 20%. Take €, cash...and plenty of it. You'll have to exchange your currency to convertible pesos. It works out that 1 CUC=€1. Prices are often marked in $ (even on card transactions), but now it means €.

Locals have different currency that you cannot officially use. I think the biggest inconvenience for me was the fact that you cannot buy things (especially food) just anywhere you want. There are shops for tourists and shops for locals. And as you go outside Havana, you find less options. If your Spanish is not too bad, you could get away with it. Otherwise, you might have to catch a lobster. :D

Smallest car, rental price per day (if more than 7 days, no miles limit) is €75.
Petrol price is about €0.80-€0.90 (cannot quite remember).

Traffic penalty for going through the (possibly :D) only pedestrian traffic light in Cuba (with no pedestrians on crossing), attached to some overhead lines and very difficult to spot if you do not know it is there, doing 20km/h...€30. :D If you are driving, beware - no traffic rules for locals.

Cuba is poor country with communist system and under sanctions. You will probably sympathise with people, but don't expect good quality products/services. Government fully controls pretty much everything. There is no private initiative. If you do have chance of negotiating the price - it is probably illegal. Prices are set to whatever government thinks they should be. If something is good, you'll very probably have to queue for it.

Waiting time at entry passport control was about 3 hrs for people from our plane (747). Exit of country tax €25. :D

In short, you get former Soviet Union products/services at London prices.
Complaints, refunds...in general...don't bother. :D

You can buy Cuban rum in Sainsbury's and cigars at Madrid airport (maybe somewhere in London as well?).

And again...yes, people are very nice. :)

octopus said:
... There are dodgy electrical instalations in showers...but considering it is 110V - you will live to tell the story. :D
Not necessarily...current kills, for a given power, a lower voltage will require more current. The higher current can also cause heating of wires & hence, potentially, fire (perhaps why pylons carry high voltage...also P=V^2/R & I^2R, so resistance is a bigger issue for high current than for high voltage). [Don't ask...]

Some of my friends are vegetarian. If you are, you'll be struggling...at the same price

You are right there :( , I'm vegetarian except for the occasional fish and the selection in the hotel was very limited. On the prices you are right, it wasn't cheaper than Spain. Except for lobster, :p which was way cheaper than here.

Adrian

By a happy coincidence, today's Los Angleles Times travel section has a lengthy article on travel to Cuba.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-cuba15jan15,1,3513502.story?coll=la-travel-headlines

If you are unwilling to register at the site to read it- it says that the Cuban government generally cooperates with Americans by not stamping their passports, but occasionally it does. Other paragraphs of interest say:

But many backdoor travelers say free travel is their constitutional right. "Making it difficult for us to visit doesn't help the Cuban people. It just makes life harder for them," said the Chicago businessman. "I think tougher restrictions have more to do with the politics of Florida than anything else," he said, speculating that President Bush and his brother, Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, are influenced by the Cuban exile community in Miami.

Backdoor travelers usually play down the hazards, but the U.S. government managed to ferret out about 500 of them between January and October last year.

"If you do get caught, it's probably going to cost you $1,000 to $2,000, if you're represented by an attorney," said Oakland lawyer Bill Miller, who has done pro bono work for about 100 clients who faced fines for visiting Cuba. "If you ignore it [the warning letter], then it will be sent to collection and you're going to owe $7,500, plus interest."

My wife and I were planning to go to Cuba for our honeymoon. Our plan was to hop over to work our way over to Cuba then get back over to Tijuana then walk over the US/Mexico border. She decided she wants more plush conditions for "her" honeymoon so we shacked up on a private island in Belize. I still want to go to Cuba though, but now with a young child it's much harder.

I Remeber the days when Cuba was trying to set up missles pointed right at us. And when J.F.K. set up the blockade. Also when denied Nikta K. banging his shoe on the table at the U.N. saying they will tke us over without even firing a shot! We hovered at the brink of nueclear war for days. I could go on for hours but this is not the place to discuss U.S. forgien policy. There is a reason for those fines and lets not foget those that worked to prevent a crisis.

jim

Last edited:
land shark said:
... There is a reason for those fines and lets not foget those that worked to prevent a crisis.
Cuba is pretty interesting...would love to see it as it is now -- all those 50's US cars & articulated buses. However, my limited past experience of a communist country was how depressing & soul destroying it was (a bit like the current British govt. & EU come to think of it :( ). Watching teenagers getting beaten up by the local police with truncheons for no obvious reason. Also, worth considering how you would feel if somebody took your home & livelihood away one day & put you & your loved ones on a Communist life style regime. Wonder if it will get better or worse post-Castro?

Mind you, Jamaica seems little better off. (Great place & great people though).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT