• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

A freedivers monofin

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

teppo

Apr 19, 2001
If I had a possibility to choose a handmade monofin for freediving, what kind of should it be?
Ofcourse there is some limitations of the design:

1. Fiberglass blade made from very thin layers. (maybe the
term is "Tapered"). This means there is more layers near
footpockets, and in the end part of the blade there is
less layers, this means the blade is softer in the end.
My current mono has 11 layers, it is classified as medium
stiffness in Sebak terms.

2. Maximum size is 100cm x 100cm.
(My current mono is 75cm x 75cm.)

Most of the monofins I have seen are made for finswimming.
In finswimming the blade is smaller and very stiff in
short distances (the shortest distance is 50m).
The biggest finswimming competition distance (as far as I know) is 1500m.
In bigger distances the blade is bigger and softer. But even in long distance finswimming the speed of the swimmer is much faster than in freediving.

When diving dynamic in the pool with my mono, sometimes the
blade bends in wrong direction. This means that it seems to be
V-shaped when looked from the back. My normal dynamic speed is about one meter per second. I think that maybe
a softer and longer blade would be better.

I know many freedivers use monofin, so please write down
your opinion, what kind of mono do you have, and how would you like to change it, if it were possible.

Thanks, Teppo.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT