• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

A question about Eurogun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

gabbydiver

Feb 19, 2003
Hello all!
I am new to this website and so far the forums are great!
I am new to freediving(not new to scubadiving) and want to buy a spear gun.My question is: If the Eurogun from Carbon are worth the extra $$$ compare to the regular one(for example Picasso Century Carbono VS Picasso Century).I'm talking about a speargun of 110 cm.

Many thanks for your post.

Welcome Gabby,
IMHO, for your first gun I don't think the carbons are worth the extra money. After you've speared for a while then decide whether you want to move up or not. Learn the basics on a standard model then upgrade.
Jay

It is not my first spear gun

Well,
So far I done spearfishing while scubadiving with a piston gun(Mares-Cyrano) so it is not my first spear gun

No Prob.
I still stick to my original advice. Going from a pneumo to a band gun, they'll still be a learning curve.
Jay

Carbon guns

In general, carbon guns are lighter and easier to swing around than aluminum ones. The difference however is not tremendous and the cost-benefit ratio is not favorable.
That said, I have used the Picasso Carbono 110cm extensively and is a very good gun, light, accurate, powerful and easy to swing around. Floats with a 6.5mm shaft and 50m of line in the reel. The plastic reel no-good and unreliable; will break in the first chance.
Enjoy diving the Med

Hydro

Reactions: Shadowkiller
Gabby, welcome aboard. :)

Do some "searching" in these forums.. there's lot's of good info on your question.

My main thoughts are the type of gun you might want really depends on the species you're targeting and the average visability. I personally wouldn't go drop a lot of cash on something to shoot fish in holes or around rocks. :blackeye Also, what's wrong w/ your cyrano? I know a lot of guys that use those and they're quite happy w/ it. There's nothing here that says freedivers have to have band guns. :hmm

Good luck,
Anderson

hi people,

try the omer excaliber alluminum, cheap, accurate and a great starter gun. plus you can replace the barrel with something better later on if you want the carbon or kevlar barrel. btw if you lose it you wont be crying if lets say you lost a 300 dolar euro :waterwork , yea thats right im still sad about that.

I agree with Hapa - guns around that level are great intro steel-slingers and I still use them to this day.

Also not trying to be anal, but...

What Hapa is recommending is the base aluminum (spelled normal) version of Omer's Excalibur line.

Be careful not to go looking for an Omer Alluminum (spelled with 2 L's) because that's a much more expensive gun. :(

Originally posted by gabbydiver

My Cyrano is great but it is only 70 cm(too short).I need something longer.

Geez ... that's 27 inches !!! How long is long enough ?????

Fuzz, I think Riaan thought the cyrano was 27 inches too short. :D

A

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT