• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

A spearo's life

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fishimani

Leagues Deep
Dec 28, 2008
Hey everyone. I fell off the radar for a while there while transitioning to civillian life, divorcing and being a homeless spearo beach bum on the big island of hawaii. Now i have moved back to Oahu and i have been pouring over craigslist looking for work ... all the while thinking that i should be doing this (spearfishing) for a job..again.... I did some commercial work on Guam ...all the while not quitting my job as a sailor...but it is gnarly getting back into the mix on a new island (and all of the fish names are different here!) ... So i have since quit the Craigslist search and decided to give commercial work a shot here (it's 300 bucks for the commercial license...crap) ...Other options were working with a charter/ spearfishing guide/ spearfishing school... i heard of a one in Thailand "The George Askew Spearfishing Academy" (spearfishingplanet forum) but the post was dated 2009. I walked to Rob White's "Blue Water Hunter" with my 120 lb pack loaded with gear while i was on the Big Island... it was closed... crappy. (and from what i heard from the Hilo dive shops... he wasn't hiring anyhow)... worked at a dive shop in Waikiki but ended up NOT spearing and being a tank Bi@#H and driving box trucks all over the island... couldn't have felt further from the water. Long story short... The search continues to do what i love ...beyond that i NEED to spearfish.. it's in my bones. I am 24, elite shape, employable, sick hang time and depth.. loads of experience... i just need the direction. Any ideas? Connections? Words on the grapevine? Let me know!!

Sounds like you have lots of positives that need to come together...
how about getting instructor qualified for freediving, then setting up your own spearo charter academy?
good luck whatever route you go :)

Thank you for your help guys... It looks like i am going to have to go the bubble head route and be a divemaster and use the money to pay for freediving certs.... still, if anything comes up dont hesitate to let me know.

Hi fishimani, sounds like you've been through a lot recently. I often heard the advice to do what you love most in the US. While that can be good advice, it can also be the best way to suck all enjoyment out of an activity. Especially if you have, perhaps, a mortgage to pay/family to feed/car payments to make. Sounds like you have a close affinity with the sea. Perhaps you can find something that is enjoyable and rewarding, or that has prospects, on/by the sea and that will provide you with time & opportunity to keep spearing as your free-time activity.

Last edited:
Reactions: fishimani
as an ex military, ex beach bum, ex married with 2X24 years of life behind me,
i have learned that i make my money(leaving) on one side and keep my spearfishing on opposite side, all do have good friends which make they leaving out of spearfishing.
in my opinion spearfishing is my way out of every day life and it is place where i can left all my trouble behind, and i enjoy it every bit.
if i would make living out of it it would lose all that pleasure i find in spearing.
i wish you lots of luck, and wish you to find whatever you are seeking.

Reactions: fishimani
in my opinion spearfishing is my way out of every day life and it is place where i can left all my trouble behind, and i enjoy it every bit.
if i would make living out of it it would lose all that pleasure i find in spearing.

My thoughts exactly...

You guys are awesome. Thank you for your words. I'm still going day to day here but i sure am getting lots of fish, can't complain. Mahalo everyone.

-Pete

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT