• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Abalone Recipes

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

kmo

Fish killer
Oct 31, 2005
Hi guys,

I've got a fair bit of abalone in the freezer, and plan on having some more there before the season ends. I was wondering what other ways I can prepare it besides crumbing it or frying it in garlic butter?

It has a great flavour and I'm sure it would excellent in soups and such.

Cheers,
kmo

A fun recipe for a lousy winter day when the first football game isn't very good.
Go to the specialty store and buy four dozen snail shells. Keep the cans of snail innards in case you like the results and run out of abalone. Take one ab steak that is a little too thick, pound and cook it to the best of your ability, then cut it up into 48 pieces that look like the picture on the can that came with the shells. Soften 1/4 pound of butter, mix with a little more garlic than you think you should and coat the ab pieces as much as possible. Find a baking sheet big enough to hold all the shells and cover it with a box of salt (gives the shells enough traction so they don't spill over). Shove one of the gooey messes in each shell, small end first, stand the shell upright in the salt and bake at 325F untill they just start to bubble over.
Escargot Guillaume a la California, the most expensive, time wasting hors d'oeuvre this side of Beluga caviar. But good.
Aloha
Bill
P.S. Any clam recipe works too.

I also have it on good authority that any calimari steak recipe will be greatly enhanced by the use of abalone in place of the squid. Probably as much better than white sea bass Philadelphia is over grouper . . . and the grouper didn't have any flies on it either!

Abalone Rellanos

This one kept me fed waaay back in the days when I was parked on a Radon on the backside of San Miguel and now on the dry land, slay's the hotties :chatup

Slice and pound the abalone steaks as usual. Into the center place a canned whole green chile. Into that put a good lump of grated Pepper Jack cheese. Roll tightly and put a couple of toothpicks in it to keep it all nice.

Dip in egg wash, bread crumbs, panko if you have 'em, and deep fry as normal.

Serve with whole beans and dirty rice and tortillas. Viva El Conco de Mayo! :friday

Reactions: crusty
Re: Abalone Rellanos

icarus pacific said:
Into the center place a canned whole green chile.

Sounds sweet... But I would take the chile outa the can! rofl

The ban on abalone fishing around here ends in 2 years, then I can take up to 2 a day courtesy of the new fishing rules (was 10). If they are big, they measure 12-14cm long, or 4.5-5.5 inches... in the shell. :head

Hey Sven, if I come to US next year, you'll take me on a real Ab hunt, right? *smily for begging*

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT