• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

about to start again......

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

greendiver

Sea fanatic
May 2, 2005
Hey guys and girls, I am Mike, 38 yrs old, have not been diving for some time now. I used to go spear fishing quiet a lot, but the last 8 years I have not been able to practice a lot.
I must tell you that I used dive in a, let me`put it this way, in a very recrational way.(cheap equipment without a lot of knowledge)
I have moved to the southern tip of Spain,Gibraltar and have met a few guys that are into the whole spearfishing/freediving thing, at a high level...well the virus....probably will not have to explain you that.
Anyways...I am about to buy some new gear...still got some old stuff, but to keep up with these guys...I will need to train and buy some new stuff, can anybody advise me what to buy ?, the waters here, in between the atlantic and the mediteranean are pretty rough and there is some current as well, the sight is not very good either, but a lot of fish.
What about a good training program, I am in pretty good shape, work out a lot, ( maybe a bit to muscular I have been told), I will probably reach about 20 meters....can anybody help me?

Reactions: Almostafish
hi mike!
we have a couple of guys who live in gibraltar... send a PM to
shaneshac
or
memo

welcome to DB!

greendiver said:
Hey guys and girls, I am Mike, 38 yrs old, have not been diving for some time now. I used to go spear fishing quiet a lot, but the last 8 years I have not been able to practice a lot.
I must tell you that I used dive in a, let me`put it this way, in a very recrational way.(cheap equipment without a lot of knowledge)
I have moved to the southern tip of Spain,Gibraltar and have met a few guys that are into the whole spearfishing/freediving thing, at a high level...well the virus....probably will not have to explain you that.
Anyways...I am about to buy some new gear...still got some old stuff, but to keep up with these guys...I will need to train and buy some new stuff, can anybody advise me what to buy ?, the waters here, in between the atlantic and the mediteranean are pretty rough and there is some current as well, the sight is not very good either, but a lot of fish.
What about a good training program, I am in pretty good shape, work out a lot, ( maybe a bit to muscular I have been told), I will probably reach about 20 meters....can anybody help me?

Hiya Mike, Well I just got back in last summer and did alot of research on gear. I live in Northern Michigan but I can tell you some stuff I like.
I've got Sporasub HD fins - which are very nice (must have neoprene boots) and Eliossub custom suit (1 5mm and 1 3mm). For masks I have a cressi matrix with scrip lenses - but I'll say that the Omer masks are superb - I have a copy of the Omer Alien and it is a tremendously comfortable purpose-built spearfishing mask - I'm thinking of picking up an omer bandit with prescription lenses as a spare. I like the Cressi because of it has a fantastic visual field and still fairly low volume - esp with the lenses bonded to the interior - but the Omers are more comfortable and the Alien has only slightly less peripheral vision than the matrix - especially under pressure. They also have the ultra-groovey mimetic line which is all the rage with the stealth set!

Snork-Wise I like the USD Impulse2 - but there are alot of good snorkels out there That are the simpler wide barrel design - I like the impulse because it deals with chop nicely and has a comfortable mouthpiece - but also because it's the one I happen to have and it works :).

For guns around here I'm looking at getting a riffe 0s or 1s but where you are I expect you'll be looking more at euro-style guns - I'll leave that to the experts :)

Fins and a low-volume ask are probably your pickiest purchases. If you've not used free-diving fins before they are a real treat!

Great place to be diving!

Last edited:
Alison said:
seek out Shanshac and Memo, they are on your doorstep and have so much gear and experience, they will give you fantastic advice and a better pair of spearo's you'd be hard pressed to find

I would day you are very fortunate to be in the same area as these guys. They will help you, no doubt. Just don't leave your daughter/wife/mum around Shane rofl
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Reactions: island_sands
Heehehhehee He is already in good hands don't worry guys :D Mike is working in our office aswell :D . Its just a coincidence that he found the forum rofl

Memo said:
Heehehhehee He is already in good hands don't worry guys :D Mike is working in our office aswell :D . Its just a coincidence that he found the forum rofl

oh hell... lock all your daughters away.... :D

ok, I admit we are interested in all kind of fish!!!!!! but come ooonn! we are good guys give us a chance eh? :D

Alison said:
Cripes!! Its the three stooges rofl

I didn't know Murat was with them too? :D
Just kidden' Murat's too busy working on finding the layer of the big trophy Meru' to be joking around here!

Fondueset said:
Hiya Mike, Well I just got back in last summer and did alot of research on gear. I live in Northern Michigan but I can tell you some stuff I like.
I've got Sporasub HD fins - which are very nice (must have neoprene boots) and Eliossub custom suit (1 5mm and 1 3mm). For masks I have a cressi matrix with scrip lenses - but I'll say that the Omer masks are superb - I have a copy of the Omer Alien and it is a tremendously comfortable purpose-built spearfishing mask - I'm thinking of picking up an omer bandit with prescription lenses as a spare. I like the Cressi because of it has a fantastic visual field and still fairly low volume - esp with the lenses bonded to the interior - but the Omers are more comfortable and the Alien has only slightly less peripheral vision than the matrix - especially under pressure. They also have the ultra-groovey mimetic line which is all the rage with the stealth set!

Snork-Wise I like the USD Impulse2 - but there are alot of good snorkels out there That are the simpler wide barrel design - I like the impulse because it deals with chop nicely and has a comfortable mouthpiece - but also because it's the one I happen to have and it works :).

For guns around here I'm looking at getting a riffe 0s or 1s but where you are I expect you'll be looking more at euro-style guns - I'll leave that to the experts :)

Fins and a low-volume ask are probably your pickiest purchases. If you've not used free-diving fins before they are a real treat!

Great place to be diving!

Tanx man,...gonna check these things out and will let you know about it, really excited about the whole thing.
Have been watching a ccouple of cool dvd, italian dvd's...so now.....I have got to start!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT