• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

acclarent balloon dialation for eustachian tube dysfunction

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

gregl83

Jun 1, 2017
backstory:

diving since 1997 (100 dives or so) without any noticeable problems clearing my ears. perhaps here or there it was more difficult but never a show-stopper.

4 months ago i tried to start freediving just after healing from bronchitis. in the heads down position i found it almost impossible to equalize. i had snorkeled in the past with deep dives but never in the same position taught to freedivers. what followed for the next few months was many attempts to freedive and then subsequent trips to the ENT due to the same ear getting blocked.

finally, my ENT said he was confident that I have eustachian tube dysfunction and recommends acclarent balloon dialation to resolve the issue.

questions:

1) anyone have experience with acclarent balloon dialation for equalization problems?

- if yes or knowledgeable on the subject -

2) does surgery help with equalizing?

3) has the treatment lasted (permanent)?

4) how long was it before being able to dive?

any tips, links, are questions answered would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance!

Have you tried exercising your Eustachian tubes with the Otovent? You may want to consider doing this for a while before resorting to surgery.

Sent from the abyss

I've done a bit of manual exercising via frenzel holds.

I'll definitely checkout the Otovent but did discuss exercising vs the surgery option w/my ENT. He seems to feel confident that the exercising will only get so far.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT