• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Advice me a hunting mask...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Memo

Sep 1, 2003
Hi,
I know mask choice is mainly related with personal comfort but I want to hear your advices about a good, low volume spearfishing mask. Last week I bought Cressi - focus but give it to my friend as a present. I still think it is a good mask but I'm curious about other models as well.

Okay gimme your ideas please :)

Hey Memo

Saw an awesome new mask for spearo's just a few days ago !! It's made by Mares, and it's called an X-Vision ! Do yourself a favour, try to check it out.
It is low volume, and the periphery vision is spectacular. I am about to buy one, as soon as I find the spare cash !

Cheers

Jeff

Memo
Try on the Beuchat if you can. Volume is low enough for spearfishing depths, the visibility is very good and it is comfortable even if you don't have a small nose.
Aloha
Bill

I love my Cressi-bigeye (black on black) huge field of vision and fairly low volume. fits my face well.

Willer

so here are the cadidates.... :D
--Cressisub / bigeyes
--Cressisub / focus
--Technisub / luna
--Mares / x-vision
--Picasso / Black team
--Beuchat

so any other suggestions?

the cheapest price that get for the llist is the picasso with 35euro.. Omer aries 45 is 50euro.

I bought My luna mask for 30 euro. OMER masks generally between 20-25 euro.

Memo,

I have used these masks through my spearfishing career: Technisub Look, Beuchat Mundial and Omer Aries 45. I have tried also Cressi Focus. In my oppinion from these masks Aries 45 is the best one.

Best Regards,
Peter

Hey Memo,

Almost every twin-lens low-volume mask by the top producers nowadays is good. You just have to pick the one that feels most comfortable on your face. If you still have trobles picking after that, take the one that gives you best viewing angle for the type of hunt you prefer. Per example for ambush you need vis upwards and to the sides....
A Fun Fact - the undisputable winner for all local spearos is an old model by Beuchat (1979), called Micromax. Not really a low-volume one but great for reef hunting at average depths. Best vis ever. Believe it or not, a local dive store was selling a perfectly preserved Micromax last year for 50+ euros!!!

Attachments

• beuchat_micromax_1979.jpg
    beuchat_micromax_1979.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 383
My votes goes for OMER Abyss or Cressi Superocchio.

Both are low in volume, hug face really well and most of all...are VERY solid.
I peronally see solidity as a very important factor when diving deep. Soft silicone masks often twist and collapse so that your visibility is affected by it. Try shooting then......

Small and solid is the way to go.....
There are plenty of masks that are similar to these I mention...all likely to perform just as well.

Cheers,
Mikko

Mikko I've tried cressi-superocchio and its really too small for my face, I didnt feel comfortable. I'll be visiting a nearby city in 2 weaks and could catch the opportunity to visit main diving equipment distributors :D , I think I should wait for the trip to buy a mask. But I have to take the maximum feedback from you to make a good choice.

ps: I know its not a big deal to choose a mask but I like to search alot and buy the one that I really like ;)

by the way what about the picasso black team mask does anyone has experience with it?

Memo,

I used to use the OMER Abyss when I was sponsored by them and it's a good mask but I've since switched over to the Cressi SuperOchio. I find it very similar to the Abyss but in my opinion the Cressi has a little softer silicone and a slightly larger field of view. They were like $18 on ScubaStore.com

Scott T.

Cressi dealer is a friend of mine, and I will check them again soon. I'm in no hurry to buy a mask so I need as many feedback as possible :)

Mares Target.
Very low volume. I just picked up another one at Scubastore (low $). The thing I like about the Mares Website is they actually list the internal volume of their masks. Target is 20 cm less then X Comfort. I wish all mask makers and vendors would do that.
Sporasub also makes some good hunting masks (Sniper, Samourai).

Last edited:
yeah I wish so.. Detailed tech. data is always very usefull

My first is a Cressi "Minima", black skirt. A fantastic freediving mask. Volume is super low and has glass lenses. Field of view is good but not what a hunter would want.

The second is a Cressi "Big Eyes", black skirt. Wow what a view! And comfortable (for me). But it is a bit heavy on my face and covers alot of skin (not so good for the dive reflex).

My latest mask for big view is an Oceanic "Shadow", black skirt. I wasn't to keen on "frameless" one-window masks but I tried it on and was sold on the spot. The fit and seal was good (for me), it was light weight, steamlined and low volume. Side-by-side comparison with the Cressi Big Eyes for amount of view was pretty equal. It covers less skin on my face in comparison to the Big Eyes as well.

Try the Shadow, it might just be a winner.

Minima will be too extreme for my purpose but I really want a mask that has a low volume. What do you think about the volume of big-eyes? is it relatively large within other candidates?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT