• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Agressive quarry fish

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

dallasdiver

Feb 3, 2004
We have a flooded rock quarry about 40 minutes outside of Dallas. Pretty decent vis if there isn't too many new scuba divers doing there checkout dives. The quarry is 22acres with a max depth of 63' feet. No fishing allowed to keep fishing lines from snagging divers. However the fish that hang around the staircases that lead into the water in mass have resorted to another means of sustenance. :vangry ANY EXPOSED FLESH!!! :vangry This past summer the water above the thermocline is pretty warm and I didn't have my hood on, and I had a 12 inch black bass latch on to my right ear for about two seconds!!! When I swatted him off, I had a small stream of blood coming off the top of my ear. That must have been the dinner bell for the perch, because about 10 small perch started swarming around my head. Time to leave. Just recently I was diving and removed one of my dive gloves to get a pebble out of it, and I guess those white fingers resemble hotdogs to much, because I had two piranha (aka. perch) inhale two finger tips instantly. :waterwork There is plenty of signs saying not to feed the fish, but I know a lot of people feed them. I wonder if that is what makes them aggressive?

Unfortunatly you can't shoot any fresh water game fish in Texas, only gar and carp and buffalo fish. The rest you need a rod and reel

Is it privately owned? If so all those no shooting fw fish rules might not be applicable. Its not hunting if its "self defense" rofl

I believe they have a 30 year lease on the property but don't own the property. I used to dive another rock quarry in Denton, Texas that was full of catfish that were mostly all in the 3 foot range. If you would stand in waist deep water and drop food in, you would have a swirling mass about 10 foot in diameter that would actually start to push each other up out of the water to get at the food. The coolest thing was the 6 foot catfish they had caught in a deep lake about 100 miles away, that they had wraped up in wet blankets and rushed back to the quarry with their pickup and released. I've only seen it once while feeding the fish a loaf of bread, but it looks like a small shark.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT