• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

AIDA Judge Course in Australia

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

BennyB

will freedive for beer
Sep 25, 2004
Hi all,

The Australian Freediving Association is proud to announce the first AIDA Judges course in Australia. The AIDA judges course is being held by Grant Graves on March14/15 in Sydney. AIDA is the only worldwide organisation for governing freediving competitions. With qualified judges in each country it ensures a level playing field and its possible to compete locally yet get world rankings so you can indirectly compete on the international scene. Australia is on the verge of a freediving explosion, we are years behind most nations in our freediving development and we are incredibly lucky to have arguably the world's best judge come to Australia to put on a Judges course. Currently we only have 2 Active Judges in Australia, with more judges in different states we will be in a position to have regular competitions across Australia.

Grant Graves is an AIDA A level Judge Instructor and has judged most world championships and countless world record attempts. The judges course will be 2 full days and cost 250 Euro, 50 Euro of that goes to AIDA International in fees to register you as a judge. You need a First Aid certification as a prerequisite

It is a lot of money but having judges around Australia is important to get competitions established here. To fly a judge instructor in and do a course at a later stage will cost a lot more. There is course information below.

For more information please contact - Walter_Steyn -at - yahoo -dot- com -dot- au

Cheers,
Ben Noble & Walter Steyn
Australian Freediving Association

course information :-
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Level E Judges are mandatory for national competitions to be recognized in the official AIDA International Ranking List. An E-Level-Judge is also allowed to work as an Assistant Judge at world record attempts and at higher ranked competitions. The course will principally be held in English. Naturally, all athletes are more than welcome to attend the course - this knowledge could be your competitive advantage!
To be eligible for the course you must: be at least 21 years old; have experience as an athlete, coach or safety freediver at an official AIDA competition; have a current First Aid and CPR Certificate
The course content (16 hours minimum) is as follows:
Introduction to AIDA philosophies (1/2 hour)
Theory on AIDA Competition regulation (3 hours)
Theory on AIDA regulation for Recognition of Records (1 1/2 hours)
Theory on the surfacing/end of performance - (2 1/2 hours)
Theory on dispute resolution and the AIDA Disciplinary Commission (1/2 hour)
Theory on disqualifications, penalties and sanctions (1/2 hour)
Theory on the organization of a competition and technical issues (1/2 hour)
Practical application on time, distance and depth determination (2 hours)
Practical application on the judgment of time and distance disciplines (2 hours)
Practical application on the judgment of depth disciplines (2 hours)
Practical application on in-water rescue procedures (1 hour)

We hadn't planned on it as I don't think Grant has the time (we only have weekends to work with). We do have a couple of comps in planning this year though, hopefully with some new judges this will be easier to facilitate.

Cheers,
Ben

We hadn't planned on it as I don't think Grant has the time (we only have weekends to work with). We do have a couple of comps in planning this year though, hopefully with some new judges this will be easier to facilitate.

Cheers,
Ben
That's a pity, I'm sure a chance to go for a WR would have been nice for a few. Great to hear you've got some comps in the works. Keep us in contact so we don't end up clashing!

That's a pity, I'm sure a chance to go for a WR would have been nice for a few. Great to hear you've got some comps in the works. Keep us in contact so we don't end up clashing!

I know - but everytime we get him to do something on a weekend he'd have to stay another week (he's coming for the Oztek dive show) which would cost him (and probably us) a fortune. Frustrating, but that's the reality of it for the moment.

We'll definitely talk to all the guys thinking about hosting comps to make sure they don't clash with you guys, there's a few aussies now that have a taste for the kiwi comps so that makes perfect sense. I'd love to get over there too... of course i'd have to find a job and earn some money before that'll happen :vangry

Cheers,
Ben

All I can say is please try to get some non-divers and women doing the course. We have so much trouble finding judges for the men's comps because they all want to compete. We have LOTS of judges for women though and usually about two women competing...
:head
Shame re not holding a comp. It costs us a fortune to fly Grant over for world record status comps, it would have been nice to share the load for a change and just pop over and see you guys.

Great news - we have 4 people confirmed, and potentially another 3 thinking about it. We stressed the importance of having women become judges and so far 2 have heeded the call, plus one of the potentials too. All are freedivers and I expect will want to compete, but this shouldn't be a problem. Because it's so small here there's no-one around the sport that wouldn't want to compete if it were here in our backyard.

It is a shame about not having a comp but realistically we're probably not ready yet for a big comp. Soon though, soon...

Cheers,
Ben

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT