• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

AIDA WCh 2007, Maribor

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I know it wasn't ment as criticism and I didn't take it as such. I just explained we where thinking about it and where very well aware of the problem, but it just wasn't possible to do it better this time. :)

rules got to go

The other day with some freediver friends I discussed a freedive comp event that included media coverage. The present athletes agreed that the Aida rules as they are right now are not really optimal for an audience outside our own ranks.

When showing the sport there must be some simple logic regarding the
achievements. There can not be red cards for details not linked to
the actual dive or enormous penalties for things that realy does not
benefit the athlete proportionally.

A think we will see events outside Aida ranking if media really moves
in and wants to show our sport.

But with just some minor adjustments to the rules they would work much
better in front of an audience.

Ideas:

1) No penalties whatsoever for rope/line/edge pulling (above surface)
during starts and finishes.

2) A good 2 meter grab zone above the plate with unlimited pulls within the 2 meters.

3) No Red card for early warm ups - just warnings and or minor point
penalty.

4) No red card for touching of athletes if there was no benefit (support) for he athlete - if a benefit could be argued then give penalty.

5)No red card for coaches diving down - give penalties.

6) No red card for double dip of head during countdown or even after OT in the deep discplines.

Probably needs some more thought and probably much more that can be simplified. The bottom line should be:

Only the athelet himself should be able to cause a total DQ for the dive by failing in an apparant and serious way (BO, several rope pulls, airway dip)

Another thing:
Todays line systems allow quick changes of depth = allow minor changes
to AP inbetween 5 to 3 minutes before start. This will add drama to our sport and more accurate AP's

Sebastian

PS I dont beleive in "educating the audience", that can only be done to a certain degree, and the comparison with cricket is not realy valid.

Last edited:
Re: rules got to go

The other day with some freediver friends I discussed a freedive comp event that included media coverage. The present athletes agreed that the Aida rules as they are right now are not really optimal for an audience outside our own ranks.

When showing the sport there must be some simple logic regarding the
achievements. There can not be red cards for details not linked to
the actual dive or enormous penalties for things that realy does not
benefit the athlete proportionally.

A think we will see events outside Aida ranking if media really moves
in and wants to show our sport.

But with just some minor adjustments to the rules they would work much
better in front of an audience.

Ideas:

1) No penalties whatsoever for rope/line/edge pulling (above surface)
during starts and finishes.

2) A good 2 meter grab zone above the plate with unlimited pulls within the 2 meters.

3) No Red card for early warm ups - just warnings and or minor point
penalty.

4) No red card for touching of athletes if there was no benefit (support) for he athlete - if a benefit could be argued then give penalty.

5)No red card for coaches diving down - give penalties.

6) No red card for double dip of head during countdown or even after OT in the deep discplines.

Probably needs some more thought and probably much more that can be simplified. The bottom line should be:

Only the athelet himself should be able to cause a total DQ for the
dive by failing in an apparant and serious way (BO, early turns,
several rope pulls, airway dip)

Another thing:
Todays line systems allow quick changes of depth = allow minor changes
to AP inbetween 5 to 3 minutes before start. This will add drama to our sport and more accurate AP's

Sebastian

PS I dont beleive in "educating the audience", that can only be done to a certain degree, and the comparison with cricket is not realy valid.

In regard to 'Pulling' <1> I have to disagre here, Sebastian, When legs fail a bit of "FI" could be helpfull and it isn't swimming anymore. As an alternative I would like to propose a limitation of "grabbing just once before surfacing".

>> cricket is not an easy to understand sport.

Great pictures Igor!

Kars

In regard to 'Pulling' <1> I have to disagre here, Sebastian, When legs fail a bit of "FI" could be helpfull and it isn't swimming
Kars
I think you missunderstand.

I propose rules that are easier to learn, easier to teach, easier to understand easier to judge and rules where the punishment is in relationship to the benefit.

I suggested in #1 to allow to grab edge/line/rope above surface as you surface before the airways submerge. I also suggested to not penalize an athlete holding the line above the surface as he submerge (very little benefit - huge penalization) - I did not suggest to make CWT/CNF into FIM.

Sebastian

Only the athelet himself should be able to cause a total DQ for the
dive by failing in an apparant and serious way (... early turns ...)
Than I expects the same rule for STA/DYN/DNF - red card for AP>RP :t
Anybody may have problems with ears at the depth. So, no reason to push people to the hospital and early retairement.

What I had in mind was : one can pull the line underwater in a similar way of doing FI using the seperationline dividing the pool into lanes.
Offcause appropiate penalty points would solve that easily.
In general I agree very much with the regulation philosophy you just explained.

Thanks for the clairifications, I can only hope mine is equally clear :)

I think you missunderstand.

I propose rules that are easier to learn, easier to teach, easier to understand easier to judge and rules where the punishment is in relationship to the benefit.

I suggested in #1 to allow to grab edge/line/rope above surface as you surface before the airways submerge. I also suggested to not penalize an athlete holding the line above the surface as he submerge (very little benefit - huge penalization) - I did not suggest to make CWT/CNF into FIM.

Sebastian

Last edited:
As I lay my head on the pillow to sleep, I say a little prayer that was born in maribor during the WC.

www.freedivingteam.com/downloads/funstuff/andersvar_en.jpg

Not nearly as funny as you might think, friend...

Expressing freediving as a way of living, a sort of religion even, is one thing. Making a funny version out of the most important prayer of christianity... another

Next time, try to think in more then one direction before you post...

Hey keep calm there,
I really can't understand people getting upset about making fun over something, as long as nobody is attacked in a nasty way. And i'm pretty sure that the intention of this wasn't to disrespect christians. My belief is freedom of speech, and this is as much worth respecting than any religion on this world.

Have a nice day,
Christophe

I like it. Could become my religion :).
And I don't think it's disrespectful.

Not nearly as funny as you might think, friend...

Expressing freediving as a way of living, a sort of religion even, is one thing. Making a funny version out of the most important prayer of christianity... another

Next time, try to think in more then one direction before you post...

That is really cool. It is great when people take old artistic endeavours and breathe new life into them.

Last edited:
dude this is a freediving forum, not a (fanatical) christian forum. take a chill pill.

Change of topic: Sandi when is it likely the dvd will be ready?

Cheers,
Ben

Yes - we want the DVD !!! Otherwise we'll show up at MAD Cup 2008 and samba till you give it to us!!!

:D

Cheers Stav

PS. Hope you are having a great summer after all the hard work Sandi ;)

I think the DVD will be ready in a week or two. The video guy just came back from vacation and has started working on it.

I also took a vacation and I think I'll start working on the web page again soon... Will upload some new vids.

Else everything has settled down except for some financial things still open. Will be closed till end of the month I hope and then it is officialy ower :).

Hope to see you in MAD CUP again :).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT