• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Aim for Cross Eye Dominant Shooter (left eye dominant, right handed)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

PakiBoy

Jul 3, 2017
I recently discovered I'm crosseye dominant, meaning I'm right handed but left eye dominant. This changed EVERYTHING for me with hunting, and may explain some things with spearfishing. Specifically why my aim is so bad.

So the question: would shooting with my left hand make me more accurate? Anyone have any experience with this?

Reactions: musubi
I've had years of experience with cross dominant eyes; right handed, left eye dominant. Only downside for me is wing shooting flushing birds in that right handed with the left (dominant) open changes aim. Trying to shoot left handed is a non starter for me; thus I close the left (dominant) eye while shooting. There is a loss of depth perception but as said, shooting left handed does not work with a shotgun or rifle. However with pistol shooting and two-handed grip I shoot either eye, just move the hold to the dominant left. I don't have a spear gun, but with a two-handed grip you could move to the left-dominant eye for a shot if that gives you a better aim. Finally, you may want to rule out any vision problem. While your left eye is dominant, is its vision equal to the right? In my case, I have better vision in my right.

I've had years of experience with cross dominant eyes; right handed, left eye dominant. Only downside for me is wing shooting flushing birds in that right handed with the left (dominant) open changes aim. Trying to shoot left handed is a non starter for me; thus I close the left (dominant) eye while shooting. There is a loss of depth perception but as said, shooting left handed does not work with a shotgun or rifle. However with pistol shooting and two-handed grip I shoot either eye, just move the hold to the dominant left. I don't have a spear gun, but with a two-handed grip you could move to the left-dominant eye for a shot if that gives you a better aim. Finally, you may want to rule out any vision problem. While your left eye is dominant, is its vision equal to the right? In my case, I have better vision in my right.
Vision is equal in both, I've been practicing controlling the piece with my left hand and think I'm going to head out and shoot some targets later.

My brother in law handed me a left handed bolt gun the last time I went hunting with him in AK, and it changed my whole world. Oddly enough I still shoot a pistol right handed, I just move the sight alignment to my left eye. Haven't been able to figure that out with a speargun yet. I think most people are just instinctive shooters and don't know it.

I recently discovered I'm crosseye dominant, meaning I'm right handed but left eye dominant. This changed EVERYTHING for me with hunting, and may explain some things with spearfishing. Specifically why my aim is so bad.

So the question: would shooting with my left hand make me more accurate? Anyone have any experience with this?
I guess I"m not the only one to consider this, haha. I'm left eye dominant and right handed. I shoot my speargun with my left hand. I also shoot archery left handed. Aiming with my dominant eye and corresponding hand is MUCH easier to acquire the target and feels a lot more natural to me.

I started shooting my speargun right handed and missed a lot of shots on some good fish. With my current gun setup and shooting with my left, I very rarely miss shots. So yes, for me, I'm more accurate shooting with my dominant eye and use of same side hand.

It's weird because I shoot rifle right handed, but I have a scope to focus my right eye into, so I don't think that matters much. Shooting pistol on the other hand, I'm wonky. I shoot pistol right handed, but aim with my left eye. For years I didn't realize I was doing this.

Reactions: PakiBoy
I don't understand, do you do aiming with only one eye with a speargun. The distance to the fish target isn't more than two lenghts of the shaft most of the time. We can even shoot with the gun pointing sideways, because the length of the shaft seing both ends i can understand to where is aiming.

I don't understand, do you do aiming with only one eye with a speargun. The distance to the fish target isn't more than two lenghts of the shaft most of the time. We can even shoot with the gun pointing sideways, because the length of the shaft seing both ends i can understand to where is aiming.
I shoot with both eyes open, and this is mainly for longer shots (10 feet plus) at moving targets. At that distance I consistently hit high and left (because my right hand and left eye are not aligned).

I shoot with both eyes open, and this is mainly for longer shots (10 feet plus) at moving targets. At that distance I consistently hit high and left (because my right hand and left eye are not aligned).
Same here, I shoot with both eyes open. It allows me to gauge distance easier and the left eye focus takes over when lining up the shot.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT