• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Air gun easy loader

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Only just noticed the accompanying video, well it seems to work well enough and certainly it would be handy for these long guns some use or those that just can't load them.

Though I would question the sanity of loading that in the front room

Great idea, I love seeing the various devices that people are developing for pnuematic-gun loading. I get the impression there wasn't much pressure in that gun but it demonstrates the point. At high pressure, what would happen if your hand slipped on the winder - would it spin off at high speed whilst the spear goes off into the ceiling? Could be solved with a freewheel or something..
There's obviously a small market for some universal pneumo-loading device judging by the number of efforts to develop something. Good luck with this one :)

Marmir, it was about 10 bars for demonstration. I have tried it at 25 bars too.
Jonny250, it is easy to wind because the reduction ratio is about 1 : 50 and there is also a friction winder-wood, but there is a possibility for slipping, I agree. One have to be careful.

Great idea, I love seeing the various devices that people are developing for pnuematic-gun loading. There's obviously a small market for some universal pneumo-loading device judging by the number of efforts to develop something. Good luck with this one :)

I agree Jonny & I think it is your turn for the next one?
What happened to the mastic gun loader? Any one got the link to show tromic?

Here is a modification.

This is the gun with the loader.

One part of the loader is on the gun so it is faster to load. I could not imagine more simplyer solution.

Some more images:

Tomislav

Last edited:
will it only work on a trident tip? i can see that a ss ring went over the trident and that was where the pull was coming from..is there something i missed? how will it work on a regular tip...
seems like loading pneumatics will continue to be a challenge..although this idea is great, i cant see it working while in your in the water..too much stuff to carry around

Arr good point, he does say - "look under Pneumatic Gun's", (My loader). for explanation" but now I cant find that post at all! PASTOR HELP

Reactions: Pastor
Tromic,

....I do think that your idea is good and probabily with small modifications it will work very well with 8mm shaft.....but I like to use 6.5/7mm shafts and I think this device will not prevent shafts from bending...

Well I think Geoff must of deleted his post, he did say something about getting a patent!

Tromic,

....I do think that your idea is good and probabily with small modifications it will work very well with 8mm shaft.....but I like to use 6.5/7mm shafts and I think this device will not prevent shafts from bending...

MARMIR, it should work with 6,5 and 7 mm. But there is a trick. You mast wind the shaft, or the spectra around the shaft few turns. Look at the video again.
I had tried it without winding and the shaft was bending. I had tried the gun on 25 bars with shaft 7 mm. It was working fine after winding the spectra few times.

Tomislav

Last edited:
Hi Tromic,
Here’s a few ideas, I like the basis of your system and for sure winding the line around the shaft is a definite part of the success. The following are obviously not directly suitable, but the concept could be adapted to suit the speargun.

cargo ratchet = pull + lock => less hassle than the winder? (use a larger ratchet handle for more leverage:
http://www.cargogear.com/OneItemInfo.aspx?partnum=HIRTD1X14H

Geared winch system e.g. yacht winch = handle can be removed, turn one way for fast turn, turn opposite way for geared turn. Fitted with a ratchet (little bit big tho J )
http://books.google.com/books?id=6dgDk3tSsNcC&pg=PA114&lpg=PA114&dq=ratchet+geared+pull&source=web&ots=J8b8wwmXEu&sig=DymJ2XvvAQ26BInoWUTRZMqIGLE

Then I realise that the closest you might get would be a fishing reel which has the winch aspect and the ratchet – I don’t know about the load capacity tho:
fit your own reel, ready to go; not very corrosion resistant, but a good start, gear ratio 3.8:1 :
http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/Multipliers.html

just some ideas to throw into the pot, needs more work, I know, i like what you're doing :)

Foxfish, do you have an old multiplier to try it out???

Jonny250, thank you for links. They are helpful. I had on mind all of that staff except reel, but this what I made was very easy to make from wood and a piece of steel shaft. I made it in one afternoon. And it was working very good.

Tomislav

this works ;)

workout.gif

Reactions: dave
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT