• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Alchemy V3 Fins Review

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Nathan Vinski

Apr 19, 2015
I just upgraded my fins to Alchemy V3's and since there was no real review or comparison I decided to do one myself.

Model: Alchemy V3, stiffness level 1 (softest one), pathos fireblade foot pockets. Blade is 750mm long

Build quality: excellent looking materials, the carbon and resin is very high quality and uniform with no air bubbles or spaces between the carbon (my trygons fins have spaces where light can shine through). The silicon rails look perfect and never develop wrinkles no matter how much the fin is bent compared to the usual rubber rails. There is a hand-built feel to them as some of the rail and foot pocket glue has stained the blade but despite this everything is ligned up perfectly straight and uniform.

Unique blade profile: alchemy added the hard tip feature meaning that the last 5cm of the blade actually gets progressively stiffer. This helps and was intended to prevent the blade from twisting but there is another positive outcome of this. Most blades, even stiffer than the soft alchemys, lose a lot of power in the last 5cm as the tip is overly flexible. The hard tip actually prevents this and since that last 5cm doesn't bend I could actually feel it flicking the water, like an added paddle stroke when the blades flips between hyper and hypo extension.

Performance: so far I've only done one pool session with them and as they are so much softer than my previous fins (trygons rx) it will take some time to perfect the different technique needed to maximise their performance, but as of now I think they are awesome.

Just some numbers for 50m exhale DYN in 25m pool (my timing is very consistant so the times aren't averages.. they are exact for 4/5 dives timed)
-alchemy v3: 46seconds (no lactic acid)
-trygons RX: 45 seconds (lactic acid at 35m)

Overall I would say that the alchemy's feel very easy on the legs even going at quite a fast DYN w/bi fins speed. I can also say that with the soft model it's very easy to keep pointed toes and straight knees even at very slow speeds. Sprinting feels strange for now, almost like im not wearing fins, but speed wise they get me going pretty fast.

As I now usually dive on exhale for depth and wear a maximum of 1.6kg of weight i expect that the performance will carry over and I won't have a problem with lactic acid or lack of power doing +40m FRC dives. I'm also interested in trying a 25-30m rescue to see how much power I can get from them. For people who wear a little more weight or who are bigger than I am (67-68kg) I would maybe suggest the level 2 stiffness but I don't think stiffer than that would be nessesary.

Time will only tell when I finally get the chance do depth with them but as of now I'm really happy with the fins. They suit my style and approach very well and seem to be able to carry lots of speed while also being very easy on the legs, something almost essential to depth diving on FRC (for me), and also has great benefits to doing really deep dives with bi fins where lactic acid often presents a bigger problem than hypoxia or for long days of diving where surface swimming and repetitive dives can fatigue the muscles. In any case if you're looking to upgrade your plastic fins to carbons and are willing to spend the extra money they are absolutely worth it.

I just upgraded my fins to Alchemy V3's and since there was no real review or comparison I decided to do one myself.

Model: Alchemy V3, stiffness level 1 (softest one), pathos fireblade foot pockets. Blade is 750mm long

Build quality: excellent looking materials, the carbon and resin is very high quality and uniform with no air bubbles or spaces between the carbon (my trygons fins have spaces where light can shine through). The silicon rails look perfect and never develop wrinkles no matter how much the fin is bent compared to the usual rubber rails. There is a hand-built feel to them as some of the rail and foot pocket glue has stained the blade but despite this everything is ligned up perfectly straight and uniform.

Unique blade profile: alchemy added the hard tip feature meaning that the last 5cm of the blade actually gets progressively stiffer. This helps and was intended to prevent the blade from twisting but there is another positive outcome of this. Most blades, even stiffer than the soft alchemys, lose a lot of power in the last 5cm as the tip is overly flexible. The hard tip actually prevents this and since that last 5cm doesn't bend I could actually feel it flicking the water, like an added paddle stroke when the blades flips between hyper and hypo extension.

Performance: so far I've only done one pool session with them and as they are so much softer than my previous fins (trygons rx) it will take some time to perfect the different technique needed to maximise their performance, but as of now I think they are awesome.

Just some numbers for 50m exhale DYN in 25m pool (my timing is very consistant so the times aren't averages.. they are exact for 4/5 dives timed)

Overall I would say that the alchemy's feel very easy on the legs even going at quite a fast DYN w/bi fins speed. I can also say that with the soft model it's very easy to keep pointed toes and straight knees even at very slow speeds. Sprinting feels strange for now, almost like im not wearing fins, but speed wise they get me going pretty fast.

As I now usually dive on exhale for depth and wear a maximum of 1.6kg of weight i expect that the performance will carry over and I won't have a problem with lactic acid or lack of power doing +40m FRC dives. I'm also interested in trying a 25-30m rescue to see how much power I can get from them. For people who wear a little more weight or who are bigger than I am (67-68kg) I would maybe suggest the level 2 stiffness but I don't think stiffer than that would be nessesary.

Time will only tell when I finally get the chance do depth with them but as of now I'm really happy with the fins. They suit my style and approach very well and seem to be able to carry lots of speed while also being very easy on the legs, something almost essential to depth diving on FRC (for me), and also has great benefits to doing really deep dives with bi fins where lactic acid often presents a bigger problem than hypoxia or for long days of diving where surface swimming and repetitive dives can fatigue the muscles. In any case if you're looking to upgrade your plastic fins to carbons and are willing to spend the extra money they are absolutely worth it.

Hi Nathan ,
I am interested to buy V3 , I am 93 Kg but really Confusing some advice me to buy hard and one talled me he’s 95kg and using medium soft.
Do u think it’s enough for me the medium soft?

Thanks

Hi Nathan ,
I am interested to buy V3 , I am 93 Kg but really Confusing some advice me to buy hard and one talled me he’s 95kg and using medium soft.
Do u think it’s enough for me the medium soft?

Thanks

I don't think body weight plays any significant roll in fin choice as Everyone is relatively neutral give or take a couple kilos without wetsuit and weights.

The main argument for stiffer fins would be the average weight of your belt, and maybe if you spear large fish. That being said with the level 1 soft alchemys I teach courses with a 2mm (compressed 3mm) suit, 3kg belt (7m neutral) and can fin up with a 12kg bottom weight from 12-16m so even with 15kh total lead there's still loads of power. I've even accidently went to 38m on the reef with the 3kg belt and didn't have any issues with finning back.

So yeah, I would say it's up to personal preference but go for level 1,2, or 3, but for sure don't go as stiff as hard. What I can say is it took me about 25-30 depth sessions before I was adapted to the new fins, as the sensations and technique with really soft fins is quite different, so if you don't have tons of time to dive maybe aim for med/med-soft to shorten the learning curve.

Reactions: Amet
I don't think body weight plays any significant roll in fin choice as Everyone is relatively neutral give or take a couple kilos without wetsuit and weights.

The main argument for stiffer fins would be the average weight of your belt, and maybe if you spear large fish. That being said with the level 1 soft alchemys I teach courses with a 2mm (compressed 3mm) suit, 3kg belt (7m neutral) and can fin up with a 12kg bottom weight from 12-16m so even with 15kh total lead there's still loads of power. I've even accidently went to 38m on the reef with the 3kg belt and didn't have any issues with finning back.

So yeah, I would say it's up to personal preference but go for level 1,2, or 3, but for sure don't go as stiff as hard. What I can say is it took me about 25-30 depth sessions before I was adapted to the new fins, as the sensations and technique with really soft fins is quite different, so if you don't have tons of time to dive maybe aim for med/med-soft to shorten the learning curve.
Thank you so much Nathan I really appreciate your advice.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT