• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Amazing arrow gun ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

foxfish

Silver Smoker
Dec 31, 2005
I have bought a amazing gun from EBay.
I was not sure what to expect but was not prepared for what arrived in the post today!! This "weapon" is quite unusual to say the least! "It" is very substantial & well made using a combination of stainless steel & aluminum. The "weapon" is titled as 'Scope Arrow' & has a adjustable telescopic sight running through the barrel! Check out the pics & please let me know what you think. to be honest I am not a collector so if any one Fancy's owning such a unusual gun make a offer. Having said that the more I study the "thing" the more it fascinates me. Someone somewhere designed & patented this (I am running out of descriptive words) beauty, maybe I should hang it on the wall?

Attachments

• P1020382(1).JPG
    P1020382(1).JPG
    131 KB · Views: 466
  • P1020378(1).JPG
    P1020378(1).JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 394
  • P1020376(1).JPG
    P1020376(1).JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 360
Hey Foxfish

I reckon you should hang that thing. After much deliberation I sadly will not be making you an offer for, er, "it"!

Looks a little Blue Peter don't you think?!!!!!!!

I seen a gun sort of like that before.It looks like a speargun but it's made for spearing from the surface like bowfishing. It's sure to catch someones interest.

Reactions: Old Man Dave
There's one of those hanging in the store in Maui Sporting Goods in Oahu, Hawaii. A very interesting concept & probably the only gun I've ever seen that has the primary shaft under the barrel!

It's really more of an oddity than anything with the spinning reel attachment & the scope. Could you imagine trying to look through the scope & pulling the trigger? Black eye for sure!!! :blackeye

Cool find, I think you should keep it for posterity!

i think the reel part is a little weird. that reel looks like an old penn spinfisher z series, but why would anybody put a fishing reel on a speargun? i think you should keep it, it might be worth something someday.

That one wacky speargun if it is meant for spearfishing. with the double handle and the fishing reel it may be for spearing from a boat.

Thanks for the PM's guys.
The gun is defenetely a machine made production model & not just put together! It weighs about 6lb & has a fibreglass spear.

It looks a bit James Bond...if it weren't for the reel I would suspect it might have some military origin.

Sounds like somebody above recognised the reel -- is the reel worth anything? There is a bit of a vintage reel market on eBay & Penns feature in it. I sold an old unused Penn that I bought when I was about 12...allowing for inflation, I probably got back what I paid for it:hmm. Old Abu reels often fetch a good price. Presumably any reel could be fitted on that reel bracket.

Where was it made, Japan or USA?

There are some older spearos in Florida that have impressive collections -- I saw some on-line (I think on the same site as the super-gun ...the huge band gun). The most interesting, I thought, was a very old, very small Chinese roller gun. There may be collectors out there. Portland Oceaneering have an interesting collection on their walls.

Last edited:
"has a adjustable telescopic sight running through the barrel"
Dont push the trigger while your eye is too close.

The reel is in fact a Olympic Spark 120. I think I have concluded the gun was designed to shoot fish from the surface. I am not particularly bothered about selling the gun for profit, more to give it a more appriated home. I am sure the gun is worth more than the £40 + postage I paid & with the interest already shown by DB members I think it will find a new owner? So if anyone else is interested send a PM & make a offer. Tell me what you will do with it & I will make a decision in a few days.

Last edited:
Well it looks tempting Foxfish but i am really close to obtaining a Dessault Quattro after all this time so i think i will stick with that rofl rofl rofl

Reactions: foxfish
surely its for bow-fishing. I didn't realise that anyone that there ever was a bow-fishing culture in Japan though.

The idea of using a telescopic sight is extremely ridiculous. If it is for bow-fishing it wouldn't help because of the paralax distortion through the water. From what I understand about bow-fishing (not having done it myself though) you need to compensate for this; using a sight is illogical. And as fuzz said, recoil would fark you up bigtime if you had your face anywhere near the sight, especially if fired out of the water AND its got two bands!

But I would love to hear about how it goes - are you planning on giving it a spin anyime soon foxfish?

I reckon that's the type of gun you should put on your mantle-piece at home for admiration purposes only!!

yugyug said:
do you think that says "SUWA" on the trigger mech?
From Google:
"<head> The Mambila Artefacts.However when these people learnt of the SUWA cult from Warwar and the southern ... This type of spear is given in exchange for a wife in Exchange marriage, ...
lucy.ukc.ac.uk/dz/Archive/artefact.html - 13k - Cached - Similar pages "
...perhaps you could trade it for a wife? :D

Give it a try on some mullet off a pontoon or a jetty and tell us how it goes!!!

Well as there are no Mullet around this time of year, I thought I would give it a go in the garden. The rubbers are obviously not at their best & are very easy to load. The recoil is negligible but I still did not place the eye piece right up to my eye. The super smooth trigger has a automatic safety which has to be edged up with the back of your hand, very clever design & easy to operate. To be honest I was a bit dubious firing the first shot but it turned out to be great fun, wish I had a few more spears though. I would conclude the gun may be a bit gimmicky but is definitely not a toy & the build quality is very good.

Attachments

• P1020395(1).JPG
    P1020395(1).JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 270
  • P1020405(1).JPG
    P1020405(1).JPG
    203.1 KB · Views: 256
  • P1020407(1).JPG
    P1020407(1).JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 270
Reactions: Mr. X
nice pics, looks like fun!

Mr. X said:
From Google:
"<head> The Mambila Artefacts.However when these people learnt of the SUWA cult from Warwar and the southern ... This type of spear is given in exchange for a wife in Exchange marriage, ...
lucy.ukc.ac.uk/dz/Archive/artefact.html - 13k - Cached - Similar pages "
...perhaps you could trade it for a wife? :D

re: pics above, not a fair trade. Maybe if she was very good looking.

The trajectory is a bit steep. I guess a couple of 20mm mega booster bands would sort that? But as I already own a carbon 75lb draw weight compound bow I can assure you the Scope Arrow will never approach the power or accuracy of a compound bow. I dont doubt it could be used to kill surface feeding fish but I feel would be more appropriate in a display.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT