• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Amber Vs Clear Vs Mirrored Lenses

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

penguinator

Sep 28, 2006
Ok everyone! What do you prefer on your masks?

I was intrigued by the Amber lenses, apparently it works in the same way that yellow filters work on underwater cameras (Filters specific colors underwater, SUPPOSEDLY increases color and visibility). Anyone used these?

Mirrored are also something I would look into getting... but I guess would be of more value to spearos rather than discipline free divers.

I have the regular samurai and I tried my friend's amber lens mask and I prefer mine, amber didn't seem to do much for me, maybe it takes some getting used to.

Dunno bout masks but with polaroids for fishing the greys and ambers are for different light conditions so possibly ambers would be best on certain days and second choice on others. I had a troublesome mornings spearing today with strong sunlight in places and shade under a bridge... wish they'd make reactive masks.

I use a mirrored mask meself but thats all to do with the fishes.

My dive buddy got some amber lenses. He doesn't like them much at all and is thinking about ordering some clear ones to replace them. We've dived in a range of vis conditions and he prefers my clear ones in all cases.

After experience with snowboarding goggles I thought they would work, but I guess there are more problems with lack of light than glare when underwater.

if the viz is not great where you dive dont go for the mirrored... tey tend to darken things a bit...

Reactions: Jakelol
Shouldn't the mirrored lenses be kind of sunglasses on the inside?

I have never tried amber nor mirrored lenses. I'm pretty satisfied with the regular clear lenses as I'm only into recreational freediving.

Would like to try the other types out though.

how do you like it? does it make a noticeable difference for stalking fish? what was the price difference between mirrored and regular?

It makes a noticeable difference on fish that will allow You so close as to see your eyes and the reflection seems to attract some fish... they come straight for the face sometimes, or the speartip.
fish can't distinguish Your arse from Your face when You wear mirrors.
When using a clear mask I noticed fish taking off as soon as i fixed my gaze on them... it also happens if you point a camera as the lens looks like an eye.
The colour of the lens through the inside is grey like light sunglasses... it's darker than normal obviously but nice if you hate glare and strong light.
The price of My mask vs the regular lens is 34 vs 27 euro.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raznovan and Pastor
awesome. i might get me some mirrored-perscription lenses for my next mask. pray i don't loose it :p

I use clear lens for diving (murky UK water & weather) but I've used yellow (amber?) lens for cycling and shooting. Both improve contrast (probably by reducing blues & blue/greys) in air -- not sure if that works in the water. For cycling you have to be careful, I went out with a friend once who wore yellow glasses & he hadn't noticed how dark it was getting.

I like the idea of mirror lens - so the fish can't see where you are looking - but presumably that would tint the lens so you loose some precious light. A 70's-style gradient tint would be :cool: - can you get photochromatic mirror finish?!

Last edited:
It is a trade off if You don't like the tint. Worth trying on next time you are in a shop tho, It isn't the darkest shade available and proves quite usefull over white sand in shallow(7ish) open water as it stops glare off the bottom and sharpens contrast a bit... Your eyes adjust to darkness but not to fool a fish so its a good thing IMO.

LOL... Thats another clever design of the sporasub star actually. It forces You to purse your lips, disguising Your face as your arse to fool the fish. I have many photos as proof which I sall not be sharing :D

Dunno bout masks but with polaroids for fishing the greys and ambers are for different light conditions so possibly ambers would be best on certain days and second choice on others. I had a troublesome mornings spearing today with strong sunlight in places and shade under a bridge... wish they'd make reactive masks.

I use a mirrored mask meself but thats all to do with the fishes.
Hello , im quite new to spearfishing but i noticed that fish disappear like David Copperfield soon as they see my eyes. Could you write where you bought mirrored mask, and or what brand/model it is?
Thank you very much

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT