• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Amberjacks in the Med

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hey shaca what is the weight of that AJ? 5-6 kg? Looks very tasty:p and fresh, like it just came out from water :D

Amberjack was 4kilos and seabass was 5 kilos. The fish had just been brought out of the water and my divebuddy had a digital camera with him at the time. I just finished eating the last piece of AJ five minutes ago.

Cooked it in tomato and pepper sauce. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Really firm white flesh.

Yes i can slice it down to pieces. We call it "kemane balýðý" here. Are they tasty? I never see one but i heard from experienced spero friend that they don't shoot them coz they are so easy to shoot and rare to find.

I wouldn't have shot it if it had been smaller but this one had lived long enough. They are rare wherever there are trawlers raking the sea bed for molluscs. We don't have any sort of commercial fishing here in Gibraltarso they can be found if you know where to look.

I suppose its as easy as catching Halibut in the states.

When did you take that out? Its is a nice and wild looking fish :)

Yesterday morning. Freaky looking fish eh? Like a halibut on steroids HEHEHE

I have some vintage pictures of my dad with the same fish nearly as big as yours :) how many kgs it is? I have the picture of a 30kg one.

I didn't see halibut as well. Are those guitar fish stay on sand like halibut? Where they live? Pure sandy places or few rocks should be exist?

They are found on sandy/muddy bottoms. Mine was sitting at 16 metres at the bottom of a sand slope.

did it make a decent fight? although the spear hole seems to freeze him :) I wonder if it gives you a hard time...

This summer i was a decent size stingray but i was not brave enough to shoot it after reading all those things about its tail. What about this one? Any harmfull attack to diver?

It could in thoery give you a nasty bite but you would need to step on it and they are usually in deep water. Don't know if anyone has ever been bitten

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT