• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Amberjacks in the Med

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Yes indeed!!!

Changed colour and opened its mouth as soon as it was hit. Sign of a stoned fish

Do you know any site that shows fish anatomy for specifically speros? From the videos that i have... i see that speros shooting groupers just behind and above the eye (direction of 10-11 o'clock from the eye). That was also brain shoot.. isn't it?

Normally a shot between the eyes will stone a fish. Brain is small so sometimes this doesn't go according to plan. This s what happened to me with the big grouper

Yes but if you see the fish from side frame you can't shoot between eyes:)

Shane, that "rape" (name in Spanish) you shot is impressive. I would love to see one underwater. They are excellent eating. I think they are called batfish in English.

By the way, a spearo was arrested a couple of days ago near Valencia when his speargun went off, accidentally killing his buddy. The police consider it involuntary homicide. Please take care you guys. Accidents do happen when we least expect them.

Adrian

Has it been confirmed as being Accidental??? How do you shoot someone in the chest by accident?

I don't know if Rape are called Monkfish/Anglerfish/batfish??

I lay on the sandy bottom waiting for sea bass or Dentex when I realised this big eye was watching me. I originally thought it was a big Ray but when I got far enough I saw the huge lower jaw.

How this "Accident" happened? Missfire by the trigger mech or he was not aware where is his index finger?

Shaca what is the fake gill?

Originally posted by shaneshac
I originally thought it was a big Ray but when I got far enough I saw the huge lower jaw.

You mean that you thought that it was the entrance of a cave? rofl I do think that monkfish is also used. Maybe anglerfish as well.

Don't have anymore info about the incident. Where are you reading it?

Adrian

Most fish have a fake gill. This is found on the actual gill cover and is a small ridge which runs parrallel to the gills. On sea bass it is very sharp and you can easily slice your finger. The very top part of this "Ridge" is right behind the eye. A shot will will put any fish out of action.

Originally posted by shaneshac
Most fish have a fake gill. This is found on the actual gill cover and is a small ridge which runs parrallel to the gills. On sea bass it is very sharp and you can easily slice your finger. The very top part of this "Ridge" is right behind the eye. A shot will will put any fish out of action.

Got it;)

Using all the knowledge I have gained from this post I managed to score another AJ this morning.:D :D

I knew someone would ask what the hell I learnt from this post that helped me catch the fish:D

The fish was caught doing aspetto at 12 meters. The last dive of the day and about a minute into it the fish came down from the surface and swam past. I thought it was smaller and quite close but when I shot and saw the time it took for the shaft to strike, I knew it was a good size.

The 6.5mm shaft did not go through the fish and luckily the flopper opened inside the fish. It gave me a really good fight. As soon as I had it in my hands the shaft fell out of the fish.

Lucky YOU ! ! !

Why i am not seeing those AJ??? I mean i sometimes go to reef up to 15-20 meter but i don't even see one. What is the specific places for those beautifull fish? Environment, depth, water temp., which time of the day, etc....

Most of my dives are made early in the morning. We dive in a cove which is subject to large swirling currents. This causes a lot of plankton to build up and therefore we have lots of small sardines, mackerel, bogeys and many other small species of fish.

These currents also causes there to be 2 or 3 thermoclines within a 10-15 meter depth. This makes it the perfect place for AJ and Sea Bass. I also caught a 2 kilo dentex there last week.

The AJ in the pic had three whole mackerel in its guts.

Look for deep drop offs where, if lucky, a school of AJ will come up from the depths to investigate what you are doing. Other than that speak to people who are catching them and ask them where!!!!

Murat here is a picture of the place to shot (not always possible though :D )

As you can see the fake gill and the lateral line (Yellow) join at this point. Hitting the fish there will sever its spine and stop it in its tracks.

Is it dangerous to dive deep dropoffs? I never see drop off before.
Thats nice shot,you hit it from spine. I think a bit right and uper of the cross is where brain located.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT