• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Amberjacks in the Med

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
At dropoffs the current pushes lots of plankton up to the surface from the deep and this attracts schools of baitfish. A friend of mine went to morroco and was spearing on the ledge of an underwater cliff. He would look down to the abyss and see the AJ patrolling the depths. Every once in a while, one would take interest and come up to meet him.

If you can find a place where the depth changes dramatically and there is current you can do aspettos in the shallow looking towards the deep. Thats how I do it anyway.

Hello shaca,
Iwant to ask you some clues about the AJ hunting.When you are making aspettos in AJ hunting,are you making any noise with your throat ,with your fingertip with the trigger,etc,etc,???
Aydýn

The amberjacks are very curious fish. Any vibration which stimulates their lateral line will attract them as they think it is food. I like to grab the front part one of the bands lightly with my thumb and forefinger and pull towards the wishbone. The fingers will drag along the bands making a deep vibrating noise. This has attracted everything from AJ/sea bass/ dentex and orata.

I only do it once or twice and then wait.

Thanks Shaca,
You have write
I like to grab the front part one of the bands lightly with my thumb and forefinger and pull towards the wishbone. The fingers will drag along the bands making a deep vibrating noise.
Are you this dragging action along the whole band(from the front point to the wishbone) Ihave never heard about this calling technique,I wiil try thison Friday if the south winds stops
Thank you very much Shaca
Rastgele(It means have a nice catch in Turkish)

It depends how tight your bands are. If they are very tight they will vibrate from the front to the back If they are a bit softer they vibrate better when you do this closer to the wishbone.

The closer you do this to the wishbone the higher the frequency of the vibrations. Try from half way up to the wishbone and you should be okay.

Reactions: Adrian
Thanks for everything Shaca..I will try this technique and post the results to you..
Aydýn

new pic of Amber jacks

Here's a better picture of some amber jacks. Taken next to the rocks on the coast and at around 4 meters depth.

Adrian

Attachments

• aj_med.jpg
    aj_med.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 268
Those are juveniles (Serviolas) as they are commonly called in Spain. They are quite common in Northern Spain but down here we get them on rare occasions. We do get the big ones swimming through here late September to mid October.

Those seems biger than previous even in 4 meter ! ! ! Did you get one?

Tha amberjacks that we have here has a yellow stripe from tail to gill.

I think they get that stripe when they get a bit bigger. Or are they different species? THere are so many species of Jack it gets confusing.

yes there many many species of it. Our AJ has also yellowish fins with the yellow stripe. Even the small ones has them.

Are your AJ are like the ones I caught????

I shot a monster one like the small ones in the picture with the black stripe across the eye. Must have weighed over 20 kilos but it came off the spear. I think the omer 6.3mm flopper closed when the fish was trying to get free on the bottom.

here is our AJ

ps: I couldnt find a better picture :D :D :D and I dont know the hunter either..

Nice speedo's HEHEHEHE

The one I caught did not have that blue colour. It was brown with a yellow line and white underneath.

actually I think there is no blue color but its a photo reflection or something.. The fish is white with the same yellow parts.

same shape but different colors! Your AJs are based on light grey I think. The AJ in our water is one of the whitest fish that I've ever seen.

The pictures i saw in local dive shop who had shoots big AJ is exactly same with the memo's post. And they also have a blue color on the top part. However i don't know if its just a camere reflection.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT